1 hour ago, radiant red said:

That’s a shame, I would have thought it highly unlikely to be a PSU but again, nothing to loose by trying. Reason I say, is there is little contact between motor and spindle. You don’t use any other mat on the deck do you? 
have you also tried earthing the chassis of the deck to your amp? 

I don't use a mat as per Michell recommendations, but I have just ordered a cheap rubber/cork matt from Amazon just in case it has any impact.

I've got a separate earth cable from chassis to phonostage, that was once of the first things I tried.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I did 😊 it’s a good job I know what I’m doing with turntables, the leaflet/manual is not for the novice!  Anyway, up and running and settling in. As the deck was built early, I’m still waiting

New toy 😊

This beauty arrived in the post just now, fitting it and listening to the results will be tonights lockdown entertainment, then!

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Gwantommo said:

I don't use a mat as per Michell recommendations, but I have just ordered a cheap rubber/cork matt from Amazon just in case it has any impact.

I've got a separate earth cable from chassis to phonostage, that was once of the first things I tried.

Is the armboard original or acrylic? 

Just now, radiant red said:

Is the armboard original or acrylic? 

it's the metal SME one, not sure if alloy or steel. I also use the Michell armplate decoupling kit

48 minutes ago, Gwantommo said:

it's the metal SME one, not sure if alloy or steel. I also use the Michell armplate decoupling kit

It’s all getting complicated. Here is another scenario, are you wearing rubber on your slippers or shoes? As you approach the deck you can generate a small electrical charge and when you touch the arm, it can release through it. Sounds silly I know but for that reason, I changed my slippers 😊 I have no static or crackles when I lift the record, I also have a habit of touching the deck or the earth pin on the phonostage prior to lifting the arm.

15 minutes ago, radiant red said:

It’s all getting complicated. Here is another scenario, are you wearing rubber on your slippers or shoes? As you approach the deck you can generate a small electrical charge and when you touch the arm, it can release through it. Sounds silly I know but for that reason, I changed my slippers 😊 I have no static or crackles when I lift the record, I also have a habit of touching the deck or the earth pin on the phonostage prior to lifting the arm.

I did wonder about the slippers, but I've gone barefoot and even tried sneaking up on it like a ninja, but it still laughs at me.

• Haha 2
2 minutes ago, Gwantommo said:

I did wonder about the slippers, but I've gone barefoot and even tried sneaking up on it like a ninja, but it still laughs at me.

Lol, the human body can hold a charge without the slippers from walking on carpet, walk backwards and create a negative charge 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, Gwantommo said:

I presume that you know that the armplate decoupling kit requires an earth cable to be introduced between arm/armplate and the chassis (if I remember correctly they provide that with the kit).  As Pete mentioned earlier, it is best to scrape the paint off the chassis where the earth cable attaches. 

2 hours ago, radiant red said:

I presume his gimp mask can’t have anything to do with it?

6843C038-72DE-4D9F-A144-BC8653C05D8B.jpeg.03a9e09e5164788e60c06f7e921013e6.jpeg

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, TheFlash said:

I presume his gimp mask can’t have anything to do with it?

6843C038-72DE-4D9F-A144-BC8653C05D8B.jpeg.03a9e09e5164788e60c06f7e921013e6.jpeg

Lol of course! Totally missed that. 😂

• Like 1

Not been on lately due to issues at work (company suffered a cyber attack so for the last 4 weeks I was working 17 hour days trying to work with the teams to undo the mess they caused, almost there now!!)

Toying with going in a new direction and selling off the Orbe with all of Pete's tweaks including the clear platter but not sure what to value it at and also maybe the SME V, but the chances of getting another one of these great arms at a good price will now be slim so not sure on the arm....

Have an old (well, I have had it since new, bought in 1995) RB300 which I could add in the sale....... or do I keep everything and continue to update using Pete's next tweaks??

Hmm - what to do!!

37 minutes ago, gninnamag said:

Not been on lately due to issues at work (company suffered a cyber attack so for the last 4 weeks I was working 17 hour days trying to work with the teams to undo the mess they caused, almost there now!!)

Toying with going in a new direction and selling off the Orbe with all of Pete's tweaks including the clear platter but not sure what to value it at and also maybe the SME V, but the chances of getting another one of these great arms at a good price will now be slim so not sure on the arm....

Have an old (well, I have had it since new, bought in 1995) RB300 which I could add in the sale....... or do I keep everything and continue to update using Pete's next tweaks??

Hmm - what to do!!

Difficult one but if you do sell, I would put the Orbe back to standard and sell the upgrades separately as you will realise a greater return. 
How old is the deck? Prices vary but a complete Orbe with the SME could fetch between 4-5k. Personally I would decide what your trying to achieve, do you want simplicity? I think it would take an expensive deck to oust the Michell. See if you can get a home demo to compare to the Michell because that’s the only way imo because the Michell can give you so many options with arms etc and if you like what you hear now, you need a side by side.

• Like 1

Cheers for your thoughts.

I think the deck is an early one (AC QC and motor), probably late 90's but not sure. The SME was sent to SME as soon as I bought it to be serviced so almost like new.

I was thinking of going DD such as an SP10 or something similar as never owned a DD (Lenco's, Garrard's and Michell are the only TT's I've owned) and perhaps the SME would work well on one?

Anyway - still not 100% that this will happen as I really do enjoy what the Orbe does with all the tweaks and I still have 3 Lenco's to fall back on :)

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, gninnamag said:

Cheers for your thoughts.

I think the deck is an early one (AC QC and motor), probably late 90's but not sure. The SME was sent to SME as soon as I bought it to be serviced so almost like new.

I was thinking of going DD such as an SP10 or something similar as never owned a DD (Lenco's, Garrard's and Michell are the only TT's I've owned) and perhaps the SME would work well on one?

Anyway - still not 100% that this will happen as I really do enjoy what the Orbe does with all the tweaks and I still have 3 Lenco's to fall back on :)

They all have their characteristics, over my journey of decks, I’ve always preferred suspended but there are some pretty decent decks out there. Just so important to compare before (if at all) you make the decision.

• Like 1