Michell

2 hours ago, gninnamag said:

True, but why not try something else as who knows, I might like what I hear from the DD deck better - you don't know until you try?

Quandry 

True.:^

For goodness sake don't do it!  The Orbe is a very fine deck and you would have to spend a King's ransome to better it. (SME20 perhaps).  FWIW I have a PT Anni with SME IV; I did hear it against one of the upmarket Technics DD's that a mate brought round.  It couldn't hold a candle to the Anni, the Orbe is a similar quality deck to the PT.  Don't change for the sake of change!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Wine man forthe County said:

For goodness sake don't do it!  The Orbe is a very fine deck and you would have to spend a King's ransome to better it. (SME20 perhaps).  FWIW I have a PT Anni with SME IV; I did hear it against one of the upmarket Technics DD's that a mate brought round.  It couldn't hold a candle to the Anni, the Orbe is a similar quality deck to the PT.  Don't change for the sake of change!

I hear you and thanks for your view :^

Bought the bobbins for separating the arm pod from the chassis as recommended by Pete and plan to fit these this week and see if it makes any difference.

Just changed the bobbins now and having a quick listen B|

We all like pics :)

20210614_201039.jpg
20210614_201031.jpg

Difference in size, new on the left:

(edited)_20210614_201126.jpg
20210614_201149.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gninnamag said:

Just changed the bobbins now and having a quick listen B|

Looking good. I have them on mine but I was changing so many things at that time as Petes brain went into overdrive, that it is hard to isolate in my mind their individual impact. I think it is quite subtle but await your thoughts.

Fitted the pads tonight, not had a chance to listen yet but will definitely report back.

B71EB9D4-4C19-4D10-8ED9-95D5F35B3D2F.thumb.jpeg.179412df76dbff1d5ac43003eb3cd651.jpeg

Edited by lostwin
edit
  • Like 3

i found at lower volume i did not lose any part of the music , but that is my thoughts only , pete

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, gwernaffield said:

i found at lower volume i did not lose any part of the music , but that is my thoughts only , pete

I would agree with that :^

Something else which has nothing to do with the music is before these, as a few peeps had reported, when taking a record off I would hear a 'pop' from static (not always and not to bad) - with these in place, nothing :)

I seem to be hearing more detail in the recording but will carry out more listening.

So I totally stripped my deck, changed the oil and rebuilt going back to original feet and the stock SME cable. 
Touchwood after a few albums not a single pop. Doesn’t sound as nice, but I’m guessing that’s mainly down to the cable as it’s pretty worn and I was using the best I could buy from Yannis. I’ll swap it back in and cross fingers I don’t get the pop back.

Plus my deck is super shiny as I gave everything a right good polish 😊

Thanks all for the tips and advice, hopefully I’ve cured it or at least got to the root of the problem. I do wonder if it’s the magnetics in the Solidair feet I was using that caused it, but I have zero knowledge of whether magnetic feels could cause electrical pops

4F42A9D6-39FB-4546-9ABF-F9A1FFC38216.jpeg

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, gwernaffield said:

that looks like an odyssey ,

It sure is. They’re a bugger to keep clean but do look great

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gwantommo said:

It sure is. They’re a bugger to keep clean but do look great

Considering only 100 were made, that’s at least 3 with regular forum members.

And you are right about trying to keep these decks clean. Last night I almost wished I had a pair of white gloves as every time I touched the plinth installing the pads, another set of finger marks appeared.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, lostwin said:

Considering only 100 were made, that’s at least 3 with regular forum members.

And you are right about trying to keep these decks clean. Last night I almost wished I had a pair of white gloves as every time I touched the plinth installing the pads, another set of finger marks appeared.

I used a polish made for piano's on it and it doesn't half shine now. Until I put my greasy fingers all over it over course

• Like 1

as long as you have the PSU  it is an odyssey , and the clamp as well, the number under the armboard , michell know who has every one , i would if it was 100 in each country ?

56 minutes ago, gwernaffield said:

as long as you have the PSU  it is an odyssey , and the clamp as well, the number under the armboard , michell know who has every one , i would if it was 100 in each country ?

It's got a plate on the rear of the chassis as well, but for some reason mine in 'blank' out of 100. I spoke to Michell and they think it's number 10.