Michell

On 15/07/2021 at 19:53, gwernaffield said:

what make its the arm?

From ebay - seller is jurijuk2015 he makes many other types and they are very good, especially for the money.
To better what it does I reckon you would have to spend 5 times plus!!

Edited by gninnamag
  • Like 2

which turntable mat do you use or dont you , i have ringmat , which seems to work very well, i have tried other makes , and ended up back to the ringmat anniversary , has any one got any thoughts on this subject ,

I use funk firm achromat 

Just a tad better than bare platter last time I checked, but that was prior to cart change and your ‘feet’ so may check again

I have a ring mat on a techy elsewhere and am not sure I ever tried it on the orbe 

14 minutes ago, huwge said:

I use funk firm achromat 

Just a tad better than bare platter last time I checked, but that was prior to cart change and your ‘feet’ so may check again

I have a ring mat on a techy elsewhere and am not sure I ever tried it on the orbe 

i have both like you , i found the acromat was not flat , it looks as though it is but it is full of bumps,  the Ring mat anniversary seems to suit the deck , i have tried several others , including one from orb a groove tracer , sorbothane matt , found that was great for bass, but collected dirt , a happy medium seems to be the ring mat to me,

Some years ago I saw an advert for the Trans-Fi Reso-mat, I realised that the pad spacing was the same as on my Hydraulic Reference.  I remembered talking to an employee of Transcriptors who stayed with Michell he said at one time David Gammon contemplated using rigid pads. Reaction was that they would slip and damage records, so the idea was dropped.

The Reso-mat did not damage records so I made pads out of graphite impregnated Teflon so that the record was supported on 9 pads approximately 10 mm in diameter, the result no slipping or record damage and a sound from vinyl that surprises those who have listened one of my son in laws a vinyl freak said it was like CD only clearer.  

I have used the plain foam pads 1980's Michell  laminated glass platter  plain no mat , with felt, suede & achromat mat's, none match the hard pads, the centre of the record only just mounts the pin and is 5 mm off the shoulder of the centre nut.  

Though the originator has retired I think Reso-mat is still available but a little ingenuity could provide an answer "Tom" indicated  points slight reduction in bass,  broad  enhances bass, my findings concur   

868150185_transcriptors.JPG.39fca51a0c34cae3a3f1c2edd17fc5be.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John (big) said:

Some years ago I saw an advert for the Trans-Fi Reso-mat, I realised that the pad spacing was the same as on my Hydraulic Reference.  I remembered talking to an employee of Transcriptors who stayed with Michell he said at one time David Gammon contemplated using rigid pads. Reaction was that they would slip and damage records, so the idea was dropped.

The Reso-mat did not damage records so I made pads out of graphite impregnated Teflon so that the record was supported on 9 pads approximately 10 mm in diameter, the result no slipping or record damage and a sound from vinyl that surprises those who have listened one of my son in laws a vinyl freak said it was like CD only clearer.  

I have used the plain foam pads 1980's Michell  laminated glass platter  plain no mat , with felt, suede & achromat mat's, none match the hard pads, the centre of the record only just mounts the pin and is 5 mm off the shoulder of the centre nut.  

Though the originator has retired I think Reso-mat is still available but a little ingenuity could provide an answer "Tom" indicated  points slight reduction in bass,  broad  enhances bass, my findings concur   

868150185_transcriptors.JPG.39fca51a0c34cae3a3f1c2edd17fc5be.JPG

https://www.trans-fi.com/shop   

still avalible

I could only get 15 mm  graphite impregnated Teflon rod I put it in a friends 12" swing lathe unfortunately it was too flexible even when frozen to use a lathe tool on, so nils desperandum 80 grit cloth in my size 11.5 mitt's, even though I have large unusually strong hands  it still took six  and a half hours to create  an 9" long 10 mm wide length, which I  then sawed in a jig I made to end up with 9 pads.  

No mat used on the Orbe as the screw down clamp is designed for no mat and the design was to let the record touch the platter directly.

On the Syncro I had (30 plus years ago) I think it used a felt mat which worked well for me.

I have not used a clamp with the hard pad set up I do however have the original Michell clamp which is friction lock and the platter clamp with extended pin supplied with the laminated glass platter, will give it a try.  

I use the clamp with the achromat, on thick vinyl it functions as a weight whilst on thin it clamps as intended, though I only barely tighten 

11 hours ago, huwge said:

I use the clamp with the achromat, on thick vinyl it functions as a weight whilst on thin it clamps as intended, though I only barely tighten 

I gave up on vta adjustments long ago, average thickness favourite lp - set it by ear then leave well alone, or at least till next tweak or onset of hifi ‘systemic nervosus’

• Like 1

23 hours ago, huwge said:

I gave up on vta adjustments long ago, average thickness favourite lp - set it by ear then leave well alone, or at least till next tweak or onset of hifi ‘systemic nervosus’

I set the VTA/ tracking weight on my Musicmaster when it was new, using the usual for Cartridge Man cartridges ie.  slight tail down on my Hadcock 242 Silver + on a medium thickness  record with a digital USB microscope aimed at the stylus and a BUM  alignment Protractor,  Followed by listening.   I have not touched it since other than letting it dab some Magic Eraser to clean  

Edited by John (big)
correction
  • Like 1

i have been using a puck , but also an old orical grove tracer sorbothane mat, the arm is set as a sme310 ,  tracking is excelent , i used a fozgometer to set the cartridge azimuth up , due to the cartridge thing that is on the end of the arm , i have left the origin live flat belt on due to the weight of the puck , i will go back to the michell belt now a new one has arrived from michell,

P1030597.JPG

• Like 3

Has any one come across a VC gyro power supply  ?  i have just bought one, it was produced until 2003  there was also a VC  for the orbe, does any one have any experance of this psu ?

pete

In case anyone has a Michell Focus 'S' (I doubt it) I replaced the original rubber mat (which was the same as the period Gyrodec) with a Funk mat and it cleared but some muddiness and I have used it like this for maybe 10 years.  A great result.

Edited by DomT
Gyro not Orbe