Michell

1 hour ago, lostwin said:

Hope you get it sorted, presumably it is all 3 pads not just one. If so, sounds like it is changes in spec and tolerance seen on plinth thickness that Pete commented on a little while back. 

Yes, all sorted, Pete is a top gent. Charles of Truepoint as well. I'll sort ot with rubber washers when they arrive. You're right - it's the case with all three pads.

I've done my best to give precise measurements of my plinth thickness and the amount by which the thread of the stub protrudes through my plinth to both Pete and Charles and hope it helps with building database with the variations in Michell's production over time.

My Gyrodec is originally from mid 90s, I believe. It's a full Gyrodec with smoked perspex plinth/lid and AC motoe with Gyropower PSU. Everything other than the motor is up to the latest spec, including Orbe spindle/clamp, Pete's pylons and now Pads.

I'll share my thoughts when the rubber washers arrive and I install them.

Edited by popol_vuh
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, popol_vuh said:

Yes, all sorted, Pete is a top gent. Charles of Truepoint as well. I'll sort ot with rubber washers when they arrive. You're right - it's the case with all three pads.

I've done my best to give precise measurements of my plinth thickness and the amount by which the thread of the stub protrudes through my plinth to both Pete and Charles and hope it helps with building database with the variations in Michell's production over time.

My Gyrodec is originally from mid 90s, I believe. It's a full Gyrodec with smoked perspex plinth/lid and AC motoe with Gyropower PSU. Everything other than the motor is up to the latest spec, including Orbe spindle/clamp, Pete's pylons and now Pads.

I'll share my thoughts when the rubber washers arrive and I install them.

i love the smoked perspex Gyro, should have gone for that option when I bought mine. As a youth I thought it looked a bit 70's, stood the test of time though and looks gorgeous now.

The Pads really work nicely, think you are going to be happy once you get it sorted. Pete is always very generous and responsive to any problem, not surprised he has helped so quickly in this instance but it is always appreciated.

• Like 2

I find that even a slight level difference A half turn on the foot can make a significant impact on wow&flutter

With Pete's Pads is it still possible to adjust the feet to adjust the leveling?

Edited by Balle Clorin

2 hours ago, Von Krolock said:

How's the speed stability with Michell decks nowadays gentlemen?
I owned one many years ago with a Rega 300 arm & 1042.
The last time I mentioned the 'Gyro Wobble' I was put back in my box by a friendly wammer..
Best wishes gents.:^

With the mods most of us are making it is many times better - now back in your box please :D

Regarding speed stability - if you listen to solo piano and drone music where any changes in pitch are extremely obvious and you don't hear any change in the pitch - is that good enough or do you have to have a certain number on a spec sheet for it to be good? :D

Pete's washers for Pads have arrived and I've installed the Pads yesterday. First, I have to say the Pads are beautifully made and the rubber washers Pete has sent me are of the same material as the rubber in the Pads, so the interface between acrylic and the pads is kept exactly the same.

I've only had time for one LP (Jethro Tull - Stand up, Steven Wilson's mix) and a couple more songs from other different LPs (Kate Bush and Bjork) and my findings so far are:

- even more weight in sound. Like everything is even more assured and impactful

- another increase in definition. Stuff like guitar string vibrations and decay of instrument sounds even more defined

- connected to what I said first, but sound images seem even more stable

- I'm pretty sure that soundstage depth and height have increased. The sound is really huge

My listening will go on, but I can already say that the Pads are another great upgrade and I'd fully recommend it to anyone who's decided to try to max their Gyrodec. In fact, I think that Pylons and Pads should become a default suspension for Michell decks. I don't know if this makes sense, but I view Pylons and Pads as a whole, now that I've disassembled everything again and seen how everything is connected when it comes to the Gyrodec suspension.

Also, for reference, my Gyrodec sits on top of steel frame rack that's welded as a one rigid piece and this rack is coupled via spiked ends of its feet to parquet that is glued to the concrete floor.

• Like 2

On 06/09/2021 at 12:21, popol_vuh said:

Pete's washers for Pads have arrived and I've installed the Pads yesterday. First, I have to say the Pads are beautifully made and the rubber washers Pete has sent me are of the same material as the rubber in the Pads, so the interface between acrylic and the pads is kept exactly the same.

I've only had time for one LP (Jethro Tull - Stand up, Steven Wilson's mix) and a couple more songs from other different LPs (Kate Bush and Bjork) and my findings so far are:

- even more weight in sound. Like everything is even more assured and impactful

- another increase in definition. Stuff like guitar string vibrations and decay of instrument sounds even more defined

- connected to what I said first, but sound images seem even more stable

- I'm pretty sure that soundstage depth and height have increased. The sound is really huge

My listening will go on, but I can already say that the Pads are another great upgrade and I'd fully recommend it to anyone who's decided to try to max their Gyrodec. In fact, I think that Pylons and Pads should become a default suspension for Michell decks. I don't know if this makes sense, but I view Pylons and Pads as a whole, now that I've disassembled everything again and seen how everything is connected when it comes to the Gyrodec suspension.

Also, for reference, my Gyrodec sits on top of steel frame rack that's welded as a one rigid piece and this rack is coupled via spiked ends of its feet to parquet that is glued to the concrete floor.

i am glad you like them , i am at this moment consintrating on the SME 309 getting ready to send back to SME at £630 plus packageing , in the next month fingers crossed, it will happen ,

please note those of us who own soundsmith cartridges , they have been hit by COVID19, even peter was taken to hospital twice, if you have ordered a cartridge it will be late , https://www.sound-smith.com/articles/covid19

Edited by gwernaffield
  • Like 1

@gwernaffield I will also send my 309 to SME, probably next week. The service is not cheap but with after the service I hope to enjoy the tonearm for many years to come. It such a lovely synergy between 309 and GyroSE. 

Edited by jazzcat

25 minutes ago, gwernaffield said:

i am glad you like them , i am at this moment consintrating on the SME 309 getting ready to send back to SME at £630 plus packageing , in the next month fingers crossed, it will happen ,

please note those of us who own soundsmith cartridges , they have been hit by COVID19, even peter was taken to hospital twice, if you have ordered a cartridge it will be late , https://www.sound-smith.com/articles/covid19

My new Soundsmith Aida arrived on Monday after ordering it back in February....

Well worth the wait though, it's a step up from my Boheme

IMG_9503.jpg

Edited by Gwantommo
  • Like 3

On 03/09/2021 at 19:32, Von Krolock said:

How's the speed stability with Michell decks nowadays gentlemen?
I owned one many years ago with a Rega 300 arm & 1042.
The last time I mentioned the 'Gyro Wobble' I was put back in my box by a friendly wammer..
Best wishes gents.:^

I get peak wow down to 0.09 %, used to have 0.05% before i messed up the setup. If not leveled correctly you get anything from 0.2 to 0.4%. i tried a new Nitrile belt not from Michell and got 0.8%... Belt and leveling matters..

Even 0.05%W&F can be heard on a test tone, but anything below 0.2 is hard to notice on music

My Gyro SE is from about 2004

1.JPG

2.JPG

Edited by Balle Clorin
  • Like 1

Hi, by correct leveling I mean that the motor pulley is on the same level as the groove on the platter that is used. And feet adjusted to obtain minimum wow&flutter in W&flutter app ( Iphone Philip Broder)

You need to adjust the feet carefully. ( The tower spring also can be adjusted, I do that go get vertical bounce, and get the chassis just barely above the felt rings, in my case)

The starting point is the have the platter level.  The problem is that few bubble levels are accurate, I found the Avid 45 to be good. If the bubble changes position when you turn it 180 and 90 degrees it is not accurate. My Avid bubble is slightly out of center when I adjust for minimum wow %flutter. I rather have the low W&F than the bubble in center so I accept that deviation

But the problem is that a level platter on bubble level does not guarantee lowest W&F. I then adjust one foot at a time with 1/2 turn, and check the w&F and graph. I find that 1/2 turn can make a big difference.  The speed peak can vary in interval and height. For some strange reason I get lowest W&F with   2  equal height peaks per revolution( my figure in above post). If I adjust on foot 1 turn that can change to a larger peak every platter rotation, but peak WOW goes from 0.1 to 0.2%.  

I discovered this when I was  experimenting with coins under the on foot and suddenly the W&F dropped.  So if I have for example  one big peak and one small I try to adjust a foot until the peaks are equal, (and 2 per revolution).  When I have even and low W&F I can try to adjust all feet  1/2 or 1 turn up and down to see if that improves things.

NOTE: I place the Iphone on a "puck" that covers the spindle. This way the phone ie on the center of the platter and not to the side

I use both Shaknspin and Iphone, Iphone gives a more useful speed plot. I am waiting for the Iphone app on Shaknspin to the better curved from it

You can also try diffrent platter groves and should discover that one groove is better then the others

Capture.JPG

It is still room for improvement . last year I had 0.05 peak Wow on the Gyro. but I changed oil and readjusted the chassis, add messed it up , have not been able to get back to that..

It would be really interesting if someone with Petes Pylons posted some W&F results so it can be compared I suspect the  best results will be with a less bouncy suspension. I measured a Technodec the same way and the wow&Flutter was at 0.05% =the same as the new Techics 1200 beside it  in the shop.

Capture.JPG

Edited by Balle Clorin
  • Like 1