Spirits (not the bottled kind). Who is a Believer?

Tune

Are there any Wammers who believe in ghosts and/or the supernatural? I'm hoping there are some here given so many audiophiles.

I live in the house where Bram Stoker wrote Dracula.

The house is about 50m from one of the largest and best known Anglo Saxon burial mounds in the UK. The foundations of a church from another grouping (which was destroyed about 7 centuries ago) stand next to it - surrounded by ancient grave stones... Also on the site, used to be a pond with a spring - supposedly a sacred Anglo Saxon baptism location. When the Manor House next to it was extended, the pond was lost. Rumour has it that, following this, the village witches cursed the family responsible saying that no one would be spared.  All three heirs died in their thirties and forties...

Now, right next to this burial mound is a centre of Japanese Buddhism, a faith that openly believes in "hungry ghosts" and reincarnation. I had some friends of a friend (from a "coven`' of spiritualists) who came over to check my place and they refused to even stay for coffee.

Nothing to do with the JBL's playing Dire Straits. They simply said that there were far too many spirits arguing in the place and the negative energy was simply too much for them. They didn't know the history of the village or of the area. I will admit to sensing something.

Right next door to us as well are the ruins of an old Canadian Red Cross Memorial Hospital which is, according to "those" sources again, renowned across the Country for being haunted. It was a mental asylum - one reason I am posting on the Wam.

As an aside it IS sometimes funny to sit in the room where Stoker most likely wrote Dracula and watch a film. A final coincidence is that, when working in London just before moving here, Christopher Lee was both a client and something of a friend.

A bizarre series of events really. So, who here believes in the supernatural? As many as believe in cables? BOO!

Nope, I can't quite bring myself to believe in ghosts, gods or the supernatural. 

It must have been great talking to Christopher Lee though, the man had an incredible life.

I was as sceptical as any one 'till we bought our current house. When ever we do any work on the place, you are aware that you are being watched. This is when you are alone in the room. During these periods stuff moves around the house, or just vanishes for a while, before re appearing. Both myself and my wife are aware of the presence. It's not threatening, or frightening,  just an interested observer. Although neither of us have seen it, we both feel it is female, and strangely, both have a very similar impression of her appearance.   A few years ago a ex owner of the place contacted us, saying they where back in the area, and could she call in and see what had happened to the house over the years. As we are interested in the history of the place, we said yes, and if they had any old pictures of the house, could they bring them, so we could scan them. 

They went one better than that, and went into a photography, and ask him to copy them. He copied them, and decided to enlarge a section of photograph  showing a woman stood in the front door, looking out. Turns out this ''image'' was the woman both myself and wife had ''seen'' as our resident ghost. We now know who she was, when she lived here. So yes I think there are ''ghosts'' or ''spirits'' or something beyond what we understand. Ours is called Hanna Parker. The house stands on the corner of The High Street, and Parkers Lane.

Seen what i can only say is a old lady sat on my toliet 6 times.First time i was at home on my own .Just walking past in the passage.Stopped me in my tracks.Not realy sure ,but she was wearing a long white dress ,that reminded me of victorian era.Dont recall eye contact,and i could see through the person.Five times since ive seen the same thing.Dont think about it much,but it,s clear as day what ive seen .Felt my t shirt tugged twice when in my living room.Like a child would pull on a adults top .Only once this happened. 

• Like 1

Yes. In our old flat our very young (at the time) children and any visiting would often refer to "the lady". I never saw her but we knew she was there... several strange things happened, however  nothing malicious... The two clearest things being the dining chair being moved about 2 feet whilst no one was remotely near it, the second being my winter hat was "thrown" from a table about 6 feet across the room into the middle of the front room. This scared the crap out of our guest we had. But as nothing ever horrible, and only infrequent, I was never fussed by this. 

• Like 1

Yup - some years ago, alone at work one winter's evening in a very old building, I was putting away the cash till in the safe and as I got up from locking the door, I felt a hand on the back of my neck and immediately bent back down again.  Heart beating, I gently straightened up again but the hand was there once again.  Once I had unlocked the end of my tie from the safe, I was never bothered by that again.

• Haha 3

Whisky definitely exists, too. Other spirits are available...

• Haha 2

Seen and experienced ghosts or spirits on two occasions. One was an old crippled man using a stick to walk along the passage way in the old house I lived in as a youngster.  Mentioned it to my father who said he had also seen him on several occasions. 

The other whilst staying in an country hotel. I had just got into bed when I felt the edge  sink as a man sat down and removed his boots. Over in a few seconds and did not feel at all threatening. 

• Like 1

On 22/12/2019 at 01:40, brystonian said:

Nope, I can't quite bring myself to believe in ghosts, gods or the supernatural. 

It must have been great talking to Christopher Lee though, the man had an incredible life.

xD. He didn't need the "Christopher" with me. He used to call up and say "Michael? Lee here! Can you come over?" You knew who it was from his voice!"

I've never  seen anything here but I've certainly felt a presence, much like the ladies and others have done. It's not a feeling you can put into words and according again to the ladies, you would be visited by numerous spirits as there were a lot here. Maybe on occasion a sense of unease.

I do know a few locals who swear that they had seen soldiers at the old Red Cross hospital when they used to sneak in before it disappeared. 

Another famous inhabitant of our house was Walter De La Mare - so famous for his ghost stories written in the early part of this century (the period he lived here prior to Stoker). Maybe I should write a Supernatural novel...

We have the abundance of mobile phones to thank for all those millions of photos of ghosts. That's what convinced me. (Obtuse PFM reference, there).

Don't get me started on god.......:doh:  Well, it is Christmas!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I saw a semi-translucent box, with ribbon tied round it, floating in mid air once. I think it must have been the ghost of Christmas present... :cafe:

• Haha 4

I think mischievous spirits seem to be present on this forum 👻

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, brystonian said:

I guess when someone who's a war hero, commando, super spy and the prince of darkness asks you to pop over, you jump in the car. :D

He actually was a really lovely guy and a good tipper :)  I always thought it was a bizarre coincidence that I ended up in the house where Bram Stoker lived. Indeed he might well have written in my living room - who knows?

Along with De la Mare, again you wonder whether the setting (and apparently its inhabitants) inspired them to write some of the finest supernatural pieces of the time.

I very nearly died in here just over three years ago. My neighbours just said that they felt as if something was wrong so went outside and looked in the window. They'd never experienced that before. Without that intervention I was dead. Again, it was something very bizarre. During previous "episodes" that had not endangered my life but were remarkably similar, they had never felt the compunction to look.

Edited by Tune
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1