How to stream and record to Cassette tape

Sgt Pepper

On ‎28‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 15:58, Sgt Pepper said:

Open reel is probably the best format of any.

My Dad's old reel to reel tape deck had a signal to noise ratio of 45db :o

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bodgit said:

My Dad's old reel to reel tape deck had a signal to noise ratio of 45db :o

Not sure what your saying?

45db S/N ratio is hardly "the best"

1 hour ago, Bodgit said:

“The best” was always tape machines, but the pro double speed machines used for mastering would have been a far cry from what most people could afford in their own homes back then. 

2 hours ago, Bodgit said:

It all depends on the machine. The Audiophiles system of choice is still Reel to Reel then LP followed by CD & Some digital.

Edited by Sgt Pepper

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/12/2019 at 12:10, Camverton said:

Don’t the Tidal terms and conditions forbid copying content by any means? 

I suppose someone might want to take the free trial and merrily record content for their free use later. Commonly known as theft. For those who need offline access then that is possible using Tidal, although one, naturally, has to remain a subscriber. 

Don't think the terms disallow it as they provide a download feature on their mobile app allowing offline listening... even after you've stopped subscribing. It would not be theft at all if you simply backed up your faves to your phone or tablet as a recording device, then ended subsc. and kept the app and files (I kept my old phone stuffed with big SD card). As far as the legality of downloading files/ recording copying, there is nothing illegal with downloading or copying for personal use...  only if you distribute copyrighted goods is it a problem... at least from what I remember.

Recording from chromecast to tape is easy... simply get a 3.5mm to dual stereo RCA adapter cable, plug rca's into tape player and record straight into it.

Copyright infringement is stricter in the U.K. than most of the rest of the world. Thus you open yourself up to the possibility of prosecution should these companies (or artists) choose to do so. Keeping originals offers you no protection in the U.K. (that came from the US). If you choose to copy streamed material outside of any mechanism provided by the provider, you do so at your own risk.

• Upvote 2

I suspect that if Tidal owners/staff got wind of someone 'stealing' their content by recording it to cassette tapes, there would be more chance of them dying laughing than bothering to take someone to court over it :D.

• Haha 2

Glory days... fantastic full bodied FM straight to high end deck and chrome tape... kids don't know what they've lost... ripping vinyl to digital files, lolololol... 

• Like 2