Nudgebutton

cassette deck advice please..

Recommended Posts

my son (who's got a nice little system of my hand-me-downs at Uni ) wants to dip his toes into the world of cassette decks..

Can anyone recommend any makes/models to keep an eye out for (bearing in mind this is on a students budget)??

I have no idea so all help appreciated..

festive thanks in advance

neil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Neil

personally as any kit is likely to be quite old a bit of a gamble I’d say stick to well known hifi brands, I like mechanical controls as they last well and less to go wrong. My NAD dates to 1982 when I bought it and has had one minor repair (on/off switch) and the engineer was drooling over the build q! It has Dolby HX as well. 

Maybe a Denton, Sony, Yamaha, Teac etc - some good looking ones on eBay - of course it MUST have meters!!!! Ideally large and back lit :)

or if you lottery ticket comes up a Nakamichi Dragon, my dad was given a tape by his friend who owned one, recorded classical on a 20p WH Smith's cheapo, best sounding tape I’d ever heard, by a mile.

kr, Paul

 
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keep an on gumtree locally. 

Stick to Technics, Denon and Yamaha, but to name a few. 

Belts may need changing at some point. 

I have a fully working spare Denon (sadly not free) if your son's University is local to the Midlands. 

Edited by AnilS
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moderator

Aiwa made some good decks .

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Denon DRM - 595 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer

+1 for Yamaha decks from the late 1990... I have a KX-480 which is still going strong and the KX-580 was a highly respected deck too...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer

My Dads Awia F330 cassette player from the 80’s was fantastic. 

17A1A390-1568-41AC-8895-D94D04D1AAF8.jpeg.600ba64c27be15956dd329291a3ac64e.jpeg

Photo of internet 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer

This is a tough one - I sold a Nakamichi 580 about 20 years ago when it was over 20 years old ... it had not been used that much but it had its issues.

Ideally any tape machine with dolby B & C and even better one with three heads (for offtape monitoring when recording) should be the goal.

Someone who has laid out money on a 3 head machine was a cut above the norm (let's just say was more likely to be a hifi enthusiast) .. 

Ideally take a tape and go try the machine out - does it fast forward/rewind/ and play ok (nice clear playback and no wavering of notes etc.)   

Technics, Pioneer, Aiwa, Sony, Denon, Teac, Tascam and Yamaha made decent machines .. 

I cannot for the life of me though think of any reason why anyone would want to go back to the world of cassettes .. but good luck in your quest.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, uzzy said:

This is a tough one - I sold a Nakamichi 580 about 20 years ago when it was over 20 years old ... it had not been used that much but it had its issues.

Ideally any tape machine with dolby B & C and even better one with three heads (for offtape monitoring when recording) should be the goal.

Someone who has laid out money on a 3 head machine was a cut above the norm (let's just say was more likely to be a hifi enthusiast) .. 

Ideally take a tape and go try the machine out - does it fast forward/rewind/ and play ok (nice clear playback and no wavering of notes etc.)   

Technics, Pioneer, Aiwa, Sony, Denon, Teac, Tascam and Yamaha made decent machines .. 

I cannot for the life of me though think of any reason why anyone would want to go back to the world of cassettes .. but good luck in your quest.

If you tried taping from a high res source onto cassette tape..then playing it back from cassette player through your hifi..it's rather splendid! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer

Maxwell metal cassettes were great for recorded play back in the 80’s

68686671-486F-4F3E-A49E-1D7E9D716B40.thumb.jpeg.2535809912c16ca93b6d72caacd11d7e.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer

It’s amazing how many bands are releasing albums on cassettes, bands like no-man, even Riverside 

E38737F5-6ED1-4E9A-9E76-C809E0180769.thumb.jpeg.5d10021ffcae3ea5a46686348112911b.jpeg
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still use my Nak RX202 on a weekly basis, I also have a TEAC V700 but only use it as an input device for guitar recording now (makes great distortion with the levels high thru the mic inputs lol)

I still buy tapes to- brought a mint copy of Led Zep remastered double cassette the other day for $10 bucks ;)

Edited by EddieRUKidding

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
14 minutes ago, Nearly bewildered said:

If you tried taping from a high res source onto cassette tape..then playing it back from cassette player through your hifi..it's rather splendid! 

I had a Nakamichi 580 3 head cassette machine from 1978 for 20 years .. I did that and whilst good if I liked summat I bought the vinyl and latterly the CD ... it ended up mainly for copying stuff for the car cassette or walkman (until I got a minidisc in the car and a recorder in the system).

The pain of fast forward and rewind - cleaning heads and never as good as Vinyl or Cd on playback regardless of source.  In many ways it would be like ditching the DVD Blue Ray to go back and watch a VCR machine .. and that aint gonna happen :) 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer

Chewed tapes could be repaired with splicing kits

1F8E6628-637B-4FC6-BBDB-0762621303A5.thumb.jpeg.2d589931fb61f0a6e3181b6c35f595bd.jpeg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, uzzy said:

I had a Nakamichi 580 3 head cassette machine from 1978 for 20 years .. I did that and whilst good if I liked summat I bought the vinyl and latterly the CD ... it ended up mainly for copying stuff for the car cassette or walkman (until I got a minidisc in the car and a recorder in the system).

The pain of fast forward and rewind - cleaning heads and never as good as Vinyl or Cd on playback regardless of source.  In many ways it would be like ditching the DVD Blue Ray to go back and watch a VCR machine .. and that aint gonna happen :) 

Me too..years ago I taped stuff and it was pretty good but never as good as cd or vinyl..but recently I taped from my streamer and was quite surprised!  the music from the cassette seemed more toe tapping..and I listened with a mate and he said he could hear more from the cassette? We compared the streamed version to the taped version..and before you all shout me down as deluded!  Try it?  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.