Trouble and strife

Streaming

Evening, hope you had a good Xmas and looking forward to new year.

I'm after some advice and wondered if some one could help.

Let's say I have a DAC in my cd player that can be used as a stand alone DAC, or say the denafrips Ares, if I wanted to stream tidal wirelessly to it.... How do I do it? 

1 hour ago, Trouble and strife said:

Evening, hope you had a good Xmas and looking forward to new year.

I'm after some advice and wondered if some one could help.

Let's say I have a DAC in my cd player that can be used as a stand alone DAC, or say the denafrips Ares, if I wanted to stream tidal wirelessly to it.... How do I do it? 

Assuming your CD player has an input option or you go with an external DAC ...

You need a streamer. Most will stream Tidal or Roon or Spotify or Qobuz.

Which streamer? Depends on your budget.

Quite a few streamers got built in WiFi but some have none. Then you can start with something as simple as the Bluesound Node 2i and move all the way up to crazy expensive ones like say a Lumin X1 if you feel like it.

You hook up the streamer to your amp/preamp (RCA or XLR) then connect the streamer to your internet (WiFi or ethernet), dload the streamer’s app to a mobile device, log in to your streaming service via the app ... voila! You got access to a couple of million songs

ps. Thought you have a Sonica. 😬

Edited by tIANcI

Hi thanks for your help and advice, I do have a Sonica at present but have a DAC I can use as a stand alone DAC in my current cd player and would like to try it whilst streaming.

I could connect my sonica to the cd player but feel I will have my music going through 2 DACs then instead of just one. Or does the signal from my sonica bypass its internal DAC if not connected to the XLR or RCA outputs?

Hi have looked in the manual but with my limited knowledge/intelligence unable to work it out lol.

Super Dealer

Just connect your laptop to your Dac’s digital input, you may need a usb to s/pdif converter, if your cd  player doesn’t have usb ‘in’.

Computer to Sonica ( sonica is a DAC yes) to amplifier.

Keith

Edited by PuritéAudio

Given that the Oppo Sonica DAC support DLNA, Airplay and Bluetooth as well as hard wired DAC inputs, you have a plethora of options without going through the DAC in your CD player. If you have an iPhone you can stream to the Oppo using Airplay or if you have another phone you can use Bluetooth. You can use something like the Bubble UPnP app (£4) to stream Tidal to your Sonica using DLNA using a phone as a controller. You can alternatively buy a cheap streamer e.g. Google Chromecast (£25) or a Panasonic SH-ALL (£20-£40) and connect either to your CD or Sonica DAC input using an optical cable. If you want to spend more on a streamer or use a PC as has been suggested there are plenty  options out there.

2 hours ago, Trouble and strife said:

Hi thanks for your help and advice, I do have a Sonica at present but have a DAC I can use as a stand alone DAC in my current cd player and would like to try it whilst streaming.

It would help if you could tell us exactly what components you have :). (You can edit you profile so that this appears in Wigwam Info bit below your username, like you'll see for me.)

When someone says 'Sonica' to me I first think of an Oppo Sonic DAC but I'm guessing you mean something else? 

2 hours ago, t1no said:

You can alternatively buy a cheap streamer e.g. Google Chromecast (£25) or a Panasonic SH-ALL (£20-£40)

I'm not sure either of they work with Tidal, do they?

23 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I'm not sure either of they work with Tidal, do they?

I've got both (Google Chromecast and Panasonic SH-ALL) and they both work with Tidal - Chromecast appears within the Tidal app as a device and Tidal is a service which is accessible from within the Panasonic Music Stream app.

I have the oppo sonica DAC and icon audio cdx1 cd player.

I'm looking to stream digital to the DAC in the cd player, I want it to be via WiFi via the tidal app on my phone.

I think I'm after a WiFi reciever that uses a coax connection to my cd player. Which can be used as a stand alone DAC.

I don't want to have a cable from phone or laptop to it.

Yes I have my sonica DAC but would like to try via WiFi the one in the cd player?

It looks like your CD player has both an optical and coaxial digital input? If it does have an optical input then this is the cheapest option I know for Tidal:

https://www.teufelaudio.com/uk/multi-room/raumfeld-connector-p9527.html

Beyond this it will help if you give others an idea of your budget.

From the Techradar review :

The DAC is an AK4394, a 24-bit/192kHz upsampling type ... The digital side of the player can be accessed via a pair of inputs for coaxial and optical connections, while digital output is only available via an optical TOSLINK connector.

1 minute ago, t1no said:

20191230_232234.jpg

I meant physically look at the back of the unit you own. I'd already looked at pictures of what I think you have.