plasticpenguin

Under appreciated artists

IMO, The Bee Gees. I know their number one hits would suggest otherwise, in the music industry they tend to get overlooked. IMHO, when it comes to distinctive harmonies they rank alongside The Beach Boys and The Hollies.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, plasticpenguin said:

IMO, The Bee Gees. I know their number one hits would suggest otherwise, in the music industry they tend to get overlooked. IMHO, when it comes to distinctive harmonies they rank alongside The Beach Boys and The Hollies.

They've won plenty of industry awards including  Grammy Lifetime Achievement and a Brit outstanding achievement and sold well over 100m records. I doubt whether many would consider them under-appreciated.

16 minutes ago, Sumdumgi said:

They've won plenty of industry awards including  Grammy Lifetime Achievement and a Brit outstanding achievement and sold well over 100m records. I doubt whether many would consider them under-appreciated.

Indeed, they'd be in my list of overrated artists, but that's purely down to personal taste :D

• Upvote 2

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, rabski said:

Indeed, they'd be in my list of overrated artists, but that's purely down to personal taste :D

I'm not a fan but there are a number of singles which I think are very good and although they are certainly not on my regular playlist I can appreciate that they had a lot more talent than some.

21 hours ago, Sumdumgi said:

I know that Barry Gibb once said that the music industry doesn't take their music seriously. I can sort of understand where he was coming from. Back in the 1970s me and my chums always looked at The Bee Gees as one of the best Disco group at the time, due to Saturday Night Fever soundtracks.

IMHO one of the biggest compliments was this.

Arctic Lake

her voice is jaw dropping, yet they've not managed to make it big... yet...

I saw them live last year, took my mum, so good she cried, which she never does at gigs.

Apparently they lose c£50 every time they put on a show. The music biz seems a tough nut to crack it seems, and if you have talent on display like she (they) have I cannot believe they are not huge and mainstream.

• Like 3

On 01/01/2020 at 15:19, plasticpenguin said:

Think they got their reputation tarnished by the Disco Sucks movement/backlash in the 70's, but they were a very significant contributor and I completely agree with you.

I'll roll-out my usual underrated singer - Donna Summer. Tarnished with the same brush but so much more than just Disco, as she went on to prove time and time again. I personally put her up there with the best female black American singers of all time.   

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer

There are hundreds of bands and artists with great vocals and musicianship who never make it..

And theres also a lot of crap that does make it for one reason or another....To be honest most millennials  are listening to music on their phones and Alexas...many never hear great musicianship and vocals as it should be...its all about the latest music fad nowadays..

Was at a party over christmas and they had music playing through a 5" speaker on a coffee table...didn't get my toes tapping one bit..

It's a tough business and you need a lotta luck....

Kindest regards Julian 

On 02/01/2020 at 16:13, Amormusic said:

Arctic Lake

her voice is jaw dropping, yet they've not managed to make it big... yet...

I saw them live last year, took my mum, so good she cried, which she never does at gigs.

Apparently they lose c£50 every time they put on a show. The music biz seems a tough nut to crack it seems, and if you have talent on display like she (they) have I cannot believe they are not huge and mainstream.

Does she need all that reverb??? There's more than Hannah Reid gets..........

Regards

Richard

I’ve always thought Tim Buckley has been forgotten, especially when you consider the fame of his son Jeff.Many of his albums are good, but the live ones are great, showcasing his astonishing voice.

Both stunning singers who passed far too young,both in tragic circumstances, butTim should be at least equally appreciated I reckon.

• Like 1

Super Wammer

Sutherland Brothers And Quiver.

Penned the famous Rod Stewart hit   Sailing.

And lying in the arms of Mary

Some of the best bloke band harmonies of the 70s

Kindest regards Julian