TheFlash

Teak Posselt Albatross - job done!

Super Wammer
10 hours ago, rabski said:

Excellent news. Plus, you haven't killed an albatross, so Coleridge would be pleased.

For those less well-read Wammers (no, I know: of course we're all well-read!):

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/43997/the-rime-of-the-ancient-mariner-text-of-1834

It's a sad story. An albatross is harmed during the making of this poem. A mariner is also harmed, though reversibly.

But don't let that worry you. Coleridge was a shyte (old spelling) poet. He couldn't even spell "rhyme". Appalling.

7 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

Coleridge was a shyte (old spelling) poet. He couldn't even spell "rhyme". Appalling.

Blame it on the laudanum. Kubla Khan is somewhat epic though.

Edited by rabski

Super Wammer
54 minutes ago, rabski said:

We have tenuous - very tenuous - connections to the Coleridge "thing". My wife is a yoga teacher and for the past 10 years or so we have hosted weekend yoga retreats at Nab Cottage nr Rydal http://rydalwater.com/about/. de Quincey lived here and there is a small room off the passageway known, none too fancifully, as the opium den. Coleridge's son Hartley lived and died here. Tim and Liz are fabulous hosts; the place is an English language school for the summer.

9 hours ago, rabski said:

I went to the same school as Coleridge - I quite understand why he ended up taking laudanum...

• Haha 3

Excellent thread.

Jack.

• Like 1

Super Wammer

“Mum, mum; we’re home!”

”Ooh, you’re looking thin. Have you been eating properly?”

4E293249-5F49-415B-A27C-104C69661F7E.thumb.jpeg.55bf2e92989a51fef0bd0b1fe839ae2c.jpeg

Teak Posselt Albatrosses finally ensconced in their intended home. And looking - IMHO obviously - rather splendid.

They are also sounding fabulously open/airy off the Sugden IA-4, but... whilst with a few hours of warmup, the bass is fuller than with the Arcam A49, it is not quite as tight. I’m not yet sure whether I will, on balance, prefer the Sugden longer term; I suspect so.

F2FBA355-0098-447F-8E54-58A46198CAB0.thumb.jpeg.c82f831d4265a64a3939698eda4cf098.jpegBE9DB0E3-A43F-49B7-9999-835975DED990.thumb.jpeg.0b3cd3f276f7eac6d2bee2b714be1c6f.jpeg

• Like 4

Those look very tasteful indeed.

• Like 2

Super Wammer

And the "full" bass appears to be down to the recording. I know it's far from fashionable to admire Coldplay but Everyday Life has some bl@@dy marvellous tracks on it, many not in the Coldplay mould at all.

image.png.4c583dfab39f6e1d8d7419656cb4c46a.png

Currently enjoying the first track on Mercan Dede's Breath. Give your ears and your system a treat.

image.png.cb1ed38b445fc61a33472cc15c272097.png

These skinny speakers are sounding lovely.

Edited by TheFlash
  • Upvote 1

Super Wammer
5 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

And the "full" bass appears to be down to the recording. I know it's far from fashionable to admire Coldplay but Everyday Life has some bl@@dy marvellous tracks on it, many not in the Coldplay mould at all.

Thank me anytime for introducing you to that album. :D;)

• Haha 1

Super Wammer
6 minutes ago, Fourlegs said:

Thank me anytime for introducing you to that album. :D;)

:notworthy:And you me for the Mercan Dede ¬¬ Just discovering track 5: crikey. Kegworth playlist here we come: this will draw them in or chase them off!

Edited by TheFlash
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Super Wammer
2 hours ago, Tony_J said:

Those look very tasteful indeed.

2 hours ago, deggie said:

Looking very nice indeed.

Special guest rates available to those who admire my speakers. Just saying.

(Note to self: must update pics on website).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Super Wammer
2 hours ago, TheFlash said:

“Mum, mum; we’re home!”

”Ooh, you’re looking thin. Have you been eating properly?”

4E293249-5F49-415B-A27C-104C69661F7E.thumb.jpeg.55bf2e92989a51fef0bd0b1fe839ae2c.jpeg

Teak Posselt Albatrosses finally ensconced in their intended home. And looking - IMHO obviously - rather splendid.

They are also sounding fabulously open/airy off the Sugden IA-4, but... whilst with a few hours of warmup, the bass is fuller than with the Arcam A49, it is not quite as tight. I’m not yet sure whether I will, on balance, prefer the Sugden longer term; I suspect so.

F2FBA355-0098-447F-8E54-58A46198CAB0.thumb.jpeg.c82f831d4265a64a3939698eda4cf098.jpegBE9DB0E3-A43F-49B7-9999-835975DED990.thumb.jpeg.0b3cd3f276f7eac6d2bee2b714be1c6f.jpeg

Just imagine what they would sound like on the end of the Audio Flight

Super Wammer
10 hours ago, yoda900 said:

Exactly! Or even a Pass Labs - oh, wait we don’t need to imagine that because Nigel brought the (now similar) black ones round to my house and they sounded divine with my Pass Labs. 

• Like 1

Super Wammer
17 hours ago, yoda900 said:

So says the man who is using it only as power amplifier: you really should try the whole integrated experience for a week or two, even if only to rule it out...

Good point though. Let me have it back at the price I sold it to you and I'll report back! :D

I listened to the whole Mercan Dede album last night and kept stopping what I was distractd by in order just to listen... the Sugden IA-4 is not the Audia Flight FLS-10 but it is closer than I expected. And at 33w a side vs 200w a side I can relax, relatively speaking, about the electrickery bills.

Happy man.

• Upvote 1