Lurches Southcoast Pre Keggy Bake-off, SUNDAY February 9TH, PO19

Robin just beat me to the punch but anyhoo... I've held off making this offer until Barrington's Densen hoved into view as I didn't think the valve amps on offer would drive them effectively but I could bring the NS1000Ms? Only problem would be that someone would need to bring suitable stands as I can't get speakers + stands in my car.

• Like 1
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have got home safe, along with your mono’s and pre, Jack, thanks again for the loan. It was a good day as usual at Johns, and like Jack spent most my time in the play room, partly because there

As long as you do so un-buttered/jammed/toasted whilst sat on your patio in a mankini you are forgiven Steve. 

A pic of my home system with Jacks mono’s in place, note the kids table for the tecnodec  Sounding great and all ready for Kegworth  Jessica.xx

Posted Images

I have a pair of 15" & 20" if that's any good otherwise Robin has the 10" he uses with the BC1s, 

• Like 1

Instead of the 300B monos, which will not drive Ian's Yams, I have decided to bring the more versatile Monarchy Audio Class A SE100s. They will drive both speakers and being Class A will not introduce crossover distortion at the very low output required by the ultra efficient Jantzens.

The Monarchies have another advantage - they have both unbalanced and balanced options. This opens up the possibity of running the same system both balanced and unbalanced to see if there is a real advantage in a simple domestic system as opposed to where it is undeniably useful in a PA, or multi speaker active system.

A help here will be Vernon's Ayre P-5xe phono stage which I have asked him to bring along (as I have quite a bit of kit to bring). We know this unit well from previous bake offs. It has the balanced option.

It remains to ensure that the RCA and XLR cables are of comparable quality to guarantee a fair comparison.

Bringing the Monarchies also gives me a more direct comparison between the Jantzens and the Yams.

Jack NSM

Edited by Non-Smoking Man
  • 2 weeks later...

Jack, thinking about the day and kit that's coming I think it's best we run the balanced system first, followed by the single ended. There is more SE kit coming so more time would be needed to listen the various SE options. 

So balanced first please. 

Edited by Lurch

The Whest PS.30 RDT 'SE' I'm bringing along for John to listen to, also has balanced and single-ended options!

Sorry folks my monos will not be ready for next Sunday and due to this virus thing in China my production phono will be missing it’s switch pcb grr, it should still be functional but switching will not be optimal (MM/mc, loading options, gain, and gnd lift). The pcb manufacturer is on shutdown.

Anyway, see you all next week

Jessica xx

• Like 1

Bad luck Jessica..

See you soon.

Jack

After my Line Magnetic spectacularly went up in a puff of smoke it is now once again in fine fettle so I will bring it along as a valve alternative for the playroom.

• Like 2

Ciara will be bringing some Gales! ;-)

2 hours ago, Snoopdog said:

Ciara will be bringing some Gales! ;-)

Speakers or ale Steve?

2 hours ago, wizmax said:

Speakers or ale Steve?

Neither Robin!

Weather forecast is for strong wind on Sunday (Storm Ciara)!

Could be Lurch has been on the beans? ;-)

Are we going ahead John?

John I am out for this , Sorry the weather looks horrendous 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2653192 :nuts:

The thought of doing 200 miles over 5 hours down and back in these conditions :nerves:

I did say I would provide the fish fingers , This still stands if you can get them , let me know the cost and I will PPal you the money . For those that do attend , have a good one :cool:

34 minutes ago, Audio Al said:

The thought of doing 200 miles over 5 hours down and back in these conditions :nerves:

PUSSY!!! 🤣🤣🤣  :sofa:

You can sort the FFs out on ya next visit. 

1 hour ago, Non-Smoking Man said:

Are we going ahead John?

Yes. 

Edited by Lurch
35 minutes ago, Audio Al said:

PUSSY!!! 🤣🤣🤣 :sofa:

You can sort the FFs out on ya next visit. 

1 hour ago, Non-Smoking Man said:

Are we going ahead John?

Yes. 

Opps double post

Edited by Lurch