Lurches Southcoast Pre Keggy Bake-off, SUNDAY February 9TH, PO19

I have got home safe, along with your mono’s and pre, Jack, thanks again for the loan.

It was a good day as usual at Johns, and like Jack spent most my time in the play room, partly because there was a lot of system swapping going on and that is always exciting, and partly due to John having issues with his speaker meaning that the main system had to play at low volume. Let’s hope they get fixed quick!

Each combination of electronics made some good music, but I really liked Jacks mono’s and pre and they will make a lovey system at Kegworth. They took about an hour to start really swing, but when they came in and coupled with my phono stage and the Yams it brought the very best out of the TT setup. 

I tried my Integrated valve amp, a cheap Chinese affair as I knew it was the weak link in my home system and it was not as bad as I thought it would be, but easily beaten by the Euphyra and of course the mono’s

The P10 phono sounded good and I am not sure Jack’s Kenshaw was given a proper listen as it had quite a loud hum, but again my phono seemed to see off the competition

in all a very enjoyable day and hope to see you at Kegworth 

Jessica xx

0283804F-BCD1-41AE-8052-CCFBEF73D209.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have got home safe, along with your mono’s and pre, Jack, thanks again for the loan. It was a good day as usual at Johns, and like Jack spent most my time in the play room, partly because there

As long as you do so un-buttered/jammed/toasted whilst sat on your patio in a mankini you are forgiven Steve. 

A pic of my home system with Jacks mono’s in place, note the kids table for the tecnodec  Sounding great and all ready for Kegworth  Jessica.xx

Posted Images

Come on then , Chips where are the chip photos 9_9

• Like 1

Got home ok thanks Jack.

Yet again a great day at John's despite no red stuff or fish fingers or donuts :(  Some how managed to cope with just the speciality of the house - sorry Al, no photos.

I mixed my time up between the two rooms listening to John's electrostatics which continue to impress with their imaging etc.. When I arrived he was streaming into some QA 2030's(?) which for little speakers produce a big sound.

Popped in and out of the play room and Ian's Yamahas were working well with each of the different kit combinations I heard.  I have heard the Yams  a few times, now including Kegworth last year and I always enjoy listening to the music they produce. 

Jack's front end plus Jessica's phono worked well together and was producing some very detailed and lovely sounding music.

Good to find out where the P10 stands in terms of sound quality and next step is to do some valve swapping to see what happens.

As always a great day out catching up with folks and hearing some amazing kit. Many thanks to all those who brought along big heavy stuff - not easy loading up and keeping it dry in such stormy conditions.

Brook - thanks for the good deal on the Dire Straits album. Much appreciated.

See you all in Kegworth.

• Like 1

Thanks for yet another great bake off John, less hectic than some recent ones but all the same very good, some alternative kit being brought along was nice to evaluate. I spent less time in the play room this time as planned because I wanted to enjoy John's system, & enjoy it I did, despite a little problem that will soon be fixed his electrostatics were sounding superb, how I wish I had the room for a pair of these.

No new comers this time but plenty of friends, which we have all become thanks to this hobby of ours, so the many discussions were welcome & interesting, & not all about hifi believe it or not.

Really whetted the appetite for Kegworth too, great stuff.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Sadly I heard on the news a  driver was killed on the A33 Hampshire when a tree fell on his car :(

A pic of my home system with Jacks mono’s in place, note the kids table for the tecnodec 

Sounding great and all ready for Kegworth 

Jessica.xx

24ED29C6-2641-47B0-97AF-775C12A50CD4.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

:nerves:

Blimey a lady with TWO screwdrivers :D9_9

57 minutes ago, Audio Al said:

:nerves:

Blimey a lady with TWO screwdrivers :D9_9

Yeah, and a lot more knowledge than you and I put together.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, wizmax said:

Yeah, and a lot more knowledge than you and I put together.

knowledge what is this thing called knowledge:dunno:

Thanks to John for yet another excellent bake-off.

Not a lot to add to the words already written, except to say that Jessica's latest iteration of her phono stage is really excellent and is going to be something of a bargain when it hits the market.

Came home to find the wind had ripped the skylight off the roof over my bathroom, leaving it open to the rather nasty elements and anyone sitting on the loo open to target practice from any circling seagulls. :D 

Just to add my thanks to John for another enjoyable bake-off. The lack of numbers meant I got to hear most of the kit changes in the second room.

The trip back was a bit sketchy with the amount of standing water but made it home safe and sound. 

• Like 1