Willie Garvin

Can you connect speakers via headphone jack

Hi,

My grandson was given a Samsung 27" curved screen monitor (model c27f396fhu) by his dad for Christmas & he has just let me know that this model does not have it's own speakers, it just has a headphone jack!!

As I know nothing about this sort of thing I thought I'd ask for help on the Wam.

Apparently my grandson wants to use this monitor when he is playing with his PS4.

So if it is possible to use the headphone jack on the TV please could you let me know what he needs to ask his dad to buy in the way of speakers & what sort of connection they should have please.

Cheers,

willie g

Usually some sort of powered speakers would be used, which can be connected via a headphone output.

Traditional (passive) hifi speakers can't generally be driven by headphone outputs, which as the name suggests are designed to drive headphones.

I should have said, just Google PC speakers and you'll find loads of options. If you give an idea if budget some here may be able to recommend something (but not me).

2 hours ago, MartinC said:

I should have said, just Google PC speakers and you'll find loads of options. If you give an idea if budget some here may be able to recommend something (but not me).

Thanks for your reply & help here.

I would imagine a budget of no more than £50 for some PC speakers would be ok.

Get him these I was thinking about them and I don't even need them! Will beat anything at the price.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F123959689090

5 hours ago, Lawrence001 said:

Get him these I was thinking about them and I don't even need them! Will beat anything at the price.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F123959689090

I just had a quick Google out of curiosity and I'm a bit put off by the fact that the photo in the advert is of the passive version of the speakers rather than the actives.

I just had a quick Google out of curiosity and I'm a bit put off by the fact that the photo in the advert is of the passive version of the speakers rather than the actives.
I bought a very nice valve amp and speakers off the seller for a good price a few months ago (the official distributor, or maybe formerly now they're having a clear out). They were great to deal with and went out of their way to help so I wouldn't worry at all.
  • Like 1

Super Wammer
On 3 January 2020 at 22:33, MartinC said:

If you can stretch the budget a bit you could get some small active Edifier speakers.

32 minutes ago, greybeard said:

If you can stretch the budget a bit you could get some small active Edifier speakers.

It's not my budget :).

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I had some Logitech X230 speakers with sub for exactly this purpose a few years back. Can be picked up very cheaply on ebay and I'm sure that newer models will work the same (i.e. by headphone jack).

SQ is perfectly acceptable for TV or gaming purposes. The sub may be overkill for a kids bedroom but can be dialled right down.

Would suggest you guys head for Currys or similar, where they stock loads of suitable options. Any pc speakers should do the trick.

Edited by Amormusic
Added more

Posted (edited)

THIS PROBLEM HAS NOW BEEN RESOLVED.

Thank you to those wammers who replied to this query, your help was much appreciated, once again Waming at it's best. :^

Now that I know that you can plug speakers into a headphone socket I set about looking in the loft, where I keep discarded  hifi odds n sods & I came across a pair of Harman Kardon HK 206 PC speakers & yesterday I connected them up to my grandsons Samsung monitor & he was 'chuffed' as they say up north.

As a matter of interest I have a pair of B&W 600i series speakers connected to my PC, a very cheap charity shop find from many years ago!! 

Thanks again.

willie g

Edited by Willie Garvin