kernow

Reasons why you shouldn't rip your CDs

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, horace said:

Personally, I prefer the old-school strategy of buying a load of CDs I don't really like, and not being bothered to organise them properly, thus ensuring that choosing a CD to play takes so long that I end up taking pot luck on Amazon Music HD instead.

In any case, I'm becoming quite the purist in my old age - music should be enjoyed live. If I want to hear something, I just hum it to myself. I'm not very good at humming, but most modern music is rubbish anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

Of course, if I have guests I do need to hum a bit louder.

When I think of all the money I've wasted on speakers over the years...

Do you find that your guests ask you to hum Far Far Away...?:whistle:

Edited by Tony_J

43 minutes ago, Tony_J said:

Do you find that your guests ask you to hum Far Far Away...?:whistle:

Come to think of it, the guests are usually gone before then...

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, bencat said:

Been reading this but avoiding making a comment . I listen only to my ripped CD Library and I still own all the CD,s . I do not use or subscribe to any streaming service . My reasons for this are that I buy music I love and I am interested in and want to listen to it all over the house wherever I am .

Having trialed Quboz , Tidal , Spotify , Amazon HD they all sounded fine but in every case they failed to have lots of the music I wanted to hear and had huge gaps which I would no longer be able to listen to if I did not own the CD.

Then I own the CD and if everything else fails then I can still rip all the originals again and restore my library . If Spotify or Tidal go bust then thats it only option is to switch to another service .

Lastly I resent paying monthly for music i do not own much rather use the monthly fee to buy more CD,s

Agree about keeping ripped CDs as a backup and as I understand it, if you rip your CDs you should retain the originals to stay within the law anyway. So you can't legally declutter by getting rid of the originals.

I do use a streaming service and I've found that listening to new  (to me) music on Spotify does help me reduce my overall outlay on new music as I filter out those CDs that I would only listen to once or twice. I still buy ones I like.

On 05/01/2020 at 22:36, tuga said:

You can use YouTube for discovering music and its (almost) free (if you ignore the adverts).

Have you tried the Adblock Plus browser plugin for getting rid of ads?  Works perfectly for me.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, jas0_0 said:

Have you tried the Adblock Plus browser plugin for getting rid of ads?  Works perfectly for me.

I'm now finding the ads on you tube very irritating!  Does the Adblock plus get rid of every advert?  ( I was listening to some classical music and the ads were appearing halfway through a movement!  Grrr) 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Nearly bewildered said:

I'm now finding the ads on you tube very irritating!  Does the Adblock plus get rid of every advert?  ( I was listening to some classical music and the ads were appearing halfway through a movement!  Grrr) 

I remember the first time I used the YouTube app on my phone and being surprised there were adverts. I'd been using YouTube for years before that on my laptop and genuinely never knew the adverts ever existed due to adblocking I'd installed for other reasons. Currently I use the uBlock Origin extension in Chrome and have no YouTube adverts.

32 minutes ago, Nearly bewildered said:

Yes like Martin, I get no YouTube ads at all using AdBlock Plus.  

@MartinC thanks for suggesting uBlock Origin, just installed - works much better than Adblock plus

• Like 1

On 03/01/2020 at 22:35, kernow said:

You have 5000 CDs 

You're probably old, time is precious

I've been listening to 320kbit spotify most of the night and I've only confirmed why the hell I am bothering to back up 100GB of flac to multiple drives and AWS.

it's not worth it, donate the CDs to charity 

'high quality' Spotify still sounds ******* amazing on a £15k stereo 

Thanks for reading 

You're a lucky boy if you have 15k to blow on a system. I have no objection in the prospect of ripping CDs, the slight shortfall in SQ is irrelevant as they're played in isolation.

There are around 80 albums of Sofia on Idagiao.
Even Qobuz has more than 30.
I find searching for classical music is a difficult task sometimes. Especially, as my knowledge of classical music is, let’s say marginal.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

Not sure why should it be difficult to search for artist/ composer? Don't you just type what you're looking for in the search box?

I wasn't even aware of something called Idagio. What's the price?

edit. I see, It's £10 a month. Do they offer booklets to each and every album?

I have Primephonic trial atm, 46 Gubaidulina works there, no booklets. 

Edited by dari

The Idagio app is just wonderful. You can search for composer, artist, director or work.
The Russian composers have different transcriptions of their names. Tchaikovsky with an „i“ at the end? Idagio will show them all.
Then it will find Swan‘s Lake for you even if it is a French recording or a German Schwanensee.
It streams in CD quality.
And they have have a test phase, something like 3£ for three months..
It is such a pity that Idagio cannot stream to my Linn
DS the way Spotify connect does..

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

• Upvote 1