Sign in to follow this  
Polarbear

Zu Deffinitions

Super Wammer

Anyone any experience of these speakers?

Heard some at Heathrow - terrible. Fell to bits as soon as the music got lively. Muddy and muddled with no integration between the active bass units on the back and the full-range drivers on the front - they seemed to be playing different tracks... :(

i demmed them when I bought my 3A.

They're not quite as bad as listed above- they are very dark but dynamic & easy to drive. I did far prefer the Veena although having lived with that for a while it'sperhaps "too neutral" though never boring.

Super Wammer

I had the pleasure of listening to a pair at a friends home. I didn't think they were as bad as MIB said. They did integrate very well, very detailed and dynamic but not quite sure what to make of them.

You can never really tell at a show - it might have been a room interaction or poor choice of electronics. It was one of the worst-sounding rooms, and I wasn't the only one to think so! ;)

That said, I didn't think much of Druids when I heard those. Great with Snorah, really nice on simple acoustic music, hopeless when things got louder and more complex.

meninblack wrote:

You can never really tell at a show - it might have been a room interaction or poor choice of electronics. It was one of the worst-sounding rooms, and I wasn't the only one to think so! ;)

That said, I didn't think much of Druids when I heard those. Great with Snorah, really nice on simple acoustic music, hopeless when things got louder and more complex.

Yep - it was a very very bad sounding room. :?

Super Wammer

Papa Lazarou wrote:

meninblack wrote:

Yep - it was a very very bad sounding room. :?

I can't say I recall hearing them at the show.

Guest murray johnson

Have a word with David at Radlett Audio. He does both Naim & Zu and will have a view on their compatibility.

Guest sq225917

i think it's fair to sum them up thus.

Dynamic but with papery colourations.

I think that's very even handed.

Super Wammer

sq225917 wrote:

i think it's fair to sum them up thus.

Dynamic but with papery colourations.

I think that's very even handed.

Is that a recomendation or not? :D

The Zu speakers do things that conventional speakers don't do. You either get it or you don't.

I think they're brilliant and put my money where my mouth is.

At Heathrow, the Definitions had no trouble playing 'Lines In The Sand' by Dream Theater. It's a tough track to get right and covers all bases from loud to soft, busy to almost solo. They held it together very well indeed, better than the Marten Miles 3 that everyone was raving about.

That said, I prefer the somewhat simpler Druids. They are dynamic, coherent, transparent, involvingand more 'real' sounding than any other speaker I have owned. They are also the least tiring speaker I have ever owned. What's more the performance doesn't vary when played very loud or very quietly. I now listen at lower levels than I used to because these speakers don't lose all their life and dynamics at lower levels like low efficiency speakers do.

PB, I don't know where you live, but you are welcome to come and listen to the Druids in a home environment here in Somerset. Bring your Naim gear with you.

I wouldn't like to guess about partnering with Naim. It could work. I know Naim can sound very good when correctly partnered. Just try it!

Super Wammer

JonR wrote:

technobear wrote:
PB, I don't know where you live, but you are welcome to come and listen to the Druids in a home environment here in Somerset. Bring your Naim gear with you.

:shock: PB - you'll need a lorry!

And thats just to carry the Fraim :shock:

I'm going to go with technobear on this, I think you either get what the Zu's do or you don't. I too put my money where my mouth is and bought a pair of Zu's after a lengthy home demo.

I don't think the demo at Heathrow did them any favours at all but then no one would make a buying decision based on a show demo, right ? Having said that, speaking as an owner too, if that had been my only exposure to them I might not have struggled too hard to follow them up.

I have no idea how they might sound with Naim gear but I can say they seem to work equally well with solid state and valve amps. I use both myself. As in all these things it's very much try it and see.