Sign in to follow this  
Polarbear

Zu Deffinitions

Picard wrote:

coloured and cloudy. not my cup of tea. they didn't offend, very listenable but you can get the same effect by putting cotton wool in your ears.

I'd be interested to know what the rest of the system was as this is contrary to my own experience.

Ture... I was going to edit my original post to say that actually I felt the Zu Druids were very transparent and revealing of the rest of the system before it. If there's any weaknesses or character traits of the amp or CD player, the Zu's would easily show it.

JJ

Super Wammer

Nick Brown wrote:

Picard wrote:
coloured and cloudy. not my cup of tea. they didn't offend, very listenable but you can get the same effect by putting cotton wool in your ears.

I'd be interested to know what the rest of the system was as this is contrary to my own experience.

Wow, its interesting to see different peoples perception of them. I heard them last night on the end of a full 500 series Naim and they were crystal clear, very detailed and very dynamic. They certainly can't be compared to listening with cotton wool in your ears.

I will write a report of my visist to Roger Polls shortly,

Regards

PB

Polarbear wrote:

Nick Brown wrote:
Picard wrote:

Wow, its interesting to see different peoples perception of them. I heard them last night on the end of a full 500 series Naim and they were crystal clear, very detailed and very dynamic. They certainly can't be compared to listening with cotton wool in your ears.

I will write a report of my visist to Roger Polls shortly,

Regards

PB

They certainly seem to polarise opinion :)

I agree though there is certainly no cotton wool effect in my experience. They do seem to take a couple of days to come on song when they've been moved for some reason.

I'm certainly interested in how they sound with the Naim gear.

I'm thinking currently about changing my CD player maybe I should put the CDX2/XPS2 on my list to check out. :bulb:

Super Wammer

The Naim 555 was excellent through them Nick, the CDX2 is certainly worth considering. The Zu's seemed to thrive on the Naim PRat,

Regards

PB

Polarbear wrote:

The Naim 555 was excellent through them Nick, the CDX2 is certainly worth considering. The Zu's seemed to thrive on the Naim PRat,

Regards

PB

Thanks PB, I will be putting a Naim CDP on the list for audition :)

jonjin wrote:

Hi Nick,

On a tangent but I would be very very interested to hear your opinion on the Red Wine vs i2A3... a very nice system and a bold and interesting one! :^

JJ

Hi JJ

I would be more than happy to offer my thoughts on the amps you mention. It's recently got more interesting still with the arrival of a Yamamoto A-011.

Rather than de-rail PB's original thread perhaps I could PM you a response after I've compiled my experiences. Does that sound OK ?

Cheers

Nick

jonjin wrote:

Better yet, post it on the reviews section. We need to know!

BTW, did you get RCAs with your Yamamoto? ;)

JJ

Hi JJ

I'll try and sit down and put some thing together :)

Yes, RCAs came with the Yamamoto ;)

Cheers

Nick

Guest sq225917

Polarbear, it's not a recommendation, it's statement of what i believe.

Could i live with them, yes quite happily, we can tune out almost any imperfection in what we listen to. Would i prefer other things more for the money, most definately.

Super Wammer

Yes I could quite easily live with them as well SImon, are there betters speakers for the price? Deffine better?

I think the Definition is possibly overkill for a domestic loudspeaker. Then again it will have very low distortion due to there being very little cone movement required.

Personally, if I wanted to go better than the Druid, I would take a look at the Zu Presence which is like a Druid with a built in powered sub.

technobear wrote:

I think the Definition is possibly overkill for a domestic loudspeaker. Then again it will have very low distortion due to there being very little cone movement required.

Personally, if I wanted to go better than the Druid, I would take a look at the Zu Presence which is like a Druid with a built in powered sub.

I have to disagree with that statement. In what way are they overkill ?

I don't think you can even call the Presence a Druid with a built in powered sub either. Apart from sharing the same frontal driver array it is completely different. Non ported loading, triangular cabinet etc; Also the tweeter on the Presence is "fully" on like the Def.

It might be more accurate to consider it a downscaled Def rather than an upscaled Druid.

I'm not in anyway knocking the Druid, it's also a great speaker.

Cheers

Nick