bonzo

Radian, beryllium drivers and front loaded horns

Hi what are the upper frequency drivers people are using here on top of front loaded VOTT type bass cabinets? I am thinking of a Radian with Altec 817 type cabinet. 

Also, anyone using Radian or any other beryllium driver here? 

I use the 1.5" JBL 2435Be compression drivers in an Autotech short wave guide in a 5 way active horn system. They will need a 2" compression driver underneath them to reach down to a Voice of the Theatre bass cab. I suggest what I use and that is the 2" BMS neo comp driver as that is known to go as low as 450 or even 400 HZ which is where the Altec design probably is. I've heard the BMS against a Vitavox S2 ( a good one) and its reasonably close in SQ.

Above the JBL I still need a tweeter. You could choose different drivers to go 3 ways - but that would be a good trick to pull off.

The JBL Bes are amazing. But they were specially imported - I doubt you will find them this side of the pond.

Jack

I've recently sold JBL2452/Truextent 4008 Be 4" comp drivers(1.5" throat) after quite a few years of satisfied use, good down to 750hz on the JBL H9800 horn.

Still using the JBL 3" Be 2435Be on JBL SAM1HF(@800hz) vertical horns, excellent drivers, frighteningly expensive but special.

Excursion is the killer once you start using a large format dia/comp driver on a large horn, the 2452/Be was ok down to 400hz but with a 10x reduction in power handling.

6 hours ago, cooky1257 said:

I've recently sold JBL2452/Truextent 4008 Be 4" comp drivers(1.5" throat) after quite a few years of satisfied use, good down to 750hz on the JBL H9800 horn.

Still using the JBL 3" Be 2435Be on JBL SAM1HF(@800hz) vertical horns, excellent drivers, frighteningly expensive but special.

Excursion is the killer once you start using a large format dia/comp driver on a large horn, the 2452/Be was ok down to 400hz but with a 10x reduction in power handling.

Interesting. Can you explain with the example of the amps what changes you had to make for the power

Edited by bonzo

I never used my drivers at low crossover frequency. No change to amps is necessary, you haven't changed the sensitivity just available maximum output.