notaclue

Princely Harold and Meghan

13 minutes ago, wHIZZY said:

Like most of us I was lucky enough to born into anonymity, I was not told from my earliest days how my life would be laid out, what would be expected of me and who I would be allowed to marry. Neither have I had the press following my every move or photographers pointing long range lenses at me everywhere I go. Nor have I had my every word examined in detail or distorted by a hungry media and so been unable to say what I like when I like without worrying about the ramifications in the national press.  In short I have been able to be my own man and live a free life unlike the Royals. Personally I would not swap my life of freedom for their life of living in a gold fish bowl, not even for a few million a year.  

I'm no supporter of the monarchy, I just see two people Harry and Meghan who want to lead their own life just like the rest of us. 

I see that side of it. I 'get' that Harry didn't choose what he was born into. However, she did make that choice and seems to have quite quickly decided (one hesitates to suggest it might have been always intended to be so) that she no longer wants it.

We are all born into something and we all have to make the best of what we have. The difference is that the vast majority of us have no options.

If they want to walk away completely then fine by me and doubtless the majority of people. However, it seems that they want to walk away from the responsibilities and the onerous stuff, but are less happy to walk away from little things like a multi-million pound income. As I understand it, for the time that they are planning to spend in the UK, they intend to do so in a property the refurbishment of which, at the very least, was paid for out of public funding. One would also assume they will not willingly give up the protection and security currently provided to members of the royal household, so who wants to take a bet as to whether they will be willing to pay for that out of their own 'independent' living.

I am not particularly concerned about 'us' having a monarchy, nor am I concerned about how much it costs us. In the overall scheme of things, it seems not that important. However, I have never been a known fan of people who take the piss, and I firmly think that is exactly what they are doing. Their 'income' is effectively from the public purse. I appreciate that a lot of it will come from the royal family, but where do we all imagine that funding actually came from in the first place?

Bottom line for me is simple. I get the arse with people who frankly should consider themselves unbelievably lucky that in exchange for a life most of us could only dream of, they have to put up with some media scrutiny and some unenviable chores, like attending a few public functions. Even more so when, like Mrs Harry, they had the choice in the first place anyway. Many senior royals manage it quite easily, and also manage to avoid major media attention by just keeping the f**k quiet and getting on with their doubtless terrible life. People like Princess Anne seem to have acquired the knack, so it's obviously not impossible.

My sympathy gland is decidedly underactive here.

• Upvote 2

Super Dealer
16 minutes ago, rabski said:

Yep, me as well. Especially as their plans for being 'financially independent' seem to rely to a greater or lesser extent on exploiting the Royal connection (or at least as reported in the broadsheet I read today).

Having ones cake and eating it with a silver spoon springs to mind.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Fourlegs said:

Having ones cake and eating it with a silver spoon springs to mind.

Indeed. The expression "poor little rich kids" springs to mind.

Perhaps Harry just wants to keep his family away from his racist grand-dad and kiddy-fiddling uncle? :D

• Haha 4
  • Upvote 2

When you see Prince Charles interviewed he comes across as a genuinely nice bloke. If you have watched The Crown series it seems as though he has had a pretty tough upbringing. I must admit I would not have wanted to be born into that dysfunctional family.

However, I really don't understand why we actually need a monarchy and as such I think they should all be financially independent. I think the French and Russians went a bit too far though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rabski said:

I see that side of it. I 'get' that Harry didn't choose what he was born into. However, she did make that choice and seems to have quite quickly decided (one hesitates to suggest it might have been always intended to be so) that she no longer wants it.

We are all born into something and we all have to make the best of what we have. The difference is that the vast majority of us have no options.

If they want to walk away completely then fine by me and doubtless the majority of people. However, it seems that they want to walk away from the responsibilities and the onerous stuff, but are less happy to walk away from little things like a multi-million pound income. As I understand it, for the time that they are planning to spend in the UK, they intend to do so in a property the refurbishment of which, at the very least, was paid for out of public funding. One would also assume they will not willingly give up the protection and security currently provided to members of the royal household, so who wants to take a bet as to whether they will be willing to pay for that out of their own 'independent' living.

I am not particularly concerned about 'us' having a monarchy, nor am I concerned about how much it costs us. In the overall scheme of things, it seems not that important. However, I have never been a known fan of people who take the piss, and I firmly think that is exactly what they are doing. Their 'income' is effectively from the public purse. I appreciate that a lot of it will come from the royal family, but where do we all imagine that funding actually came from in the first place?

Bottom line for me is simple. I get the arse with people who frankly should consider themselves unbelievably lucky that in exchange for a life most of us could only dream of, they have to put up with some media scrutiny and some unenviable chores, like attending a few public functions. Even more so when, like Mrs Harry, they had the choice in the first place anyway. Many senior royals manage it quite easily, and also manage to avoid major media attention by just keeping the f**k quiet and getting on with their doubtless terrible life. People like Princess Anne seem to have acquired the knack, so it's obviously not impossible.

Personally, I believe anyone born in this country is unbelievably lucky and priviledged in that we are amongst the top 5% of the world's wealthist population. Unfortunately we also have a media that thrives on sowing division and hatred in order to profit, the result of which does nothing to help us appreciate what we yourselves already have. 

I for one would not swap my life for theirs, would you?

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, Cloth-Ears. said:

They do not !

You heard that down the pub, didn't you ?  :clout:

Only pay attention to reliable sources, like the Hifi Wigwam. 

Looks like I was right. Again. B|

It seems to me that Harold and Meghan are out of control. Scary times.

Untitled.png

1 hour ago, wHIZZY said:

I for one would not swap my life for theirs, would you?

Upsides: Loadsamoney. Long holidays. As many long holidays as you can get away with. More long holidays. Power. Houses. More houses. People willing to give/lend you anything you like, want or might even think about wanting. Cars. Possibly some holidays.

Downsides: Having to watch the Queen's speech on Christmas day. Having loads of media attention.

Having given it some consideration, I think my answer would have to be 'Yes. Any f*****g day pal'

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, rabski said:

Couldn't agree more!  We all understand his feelings over the Media and the role they played in his Mother's death.  At the same time Diana played the Media Game when it was to her advantage, the Martin Bashir interview as an example.  He chose to marry someone from the entertainment profession, already in the public eye.  Compare that to his Brother's choice!  Sometimes in life things don't go the way you want.  But if it's a consequence of your own actions?  As the saying goes, "You made your bed, now lie in it."

Edited by Ron Hilditch
Spelling
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, rabski said:

Upsides: Loadsamoney. Long holidays. As many long holidays as you can get away with. More long holidays. Power. Houses. More houses. People willing to give/lend you anything you like, want or might even think about wanting. Cars. Possibly some holidays.

Downsides: Having to watch the Queen's speech on Christmas day. Having loads of media attention.

Having given it some consideration, I think my answer would have to be 'Yes. Any f*****g day pal'

For me it's about having enough not excess. Love and family and freedom of expression. 

If you really think all that stuff will really make you any happier then good luck to you. 

I saw this as a discussion and a sharing of viewpoints, not an argument I must win at all costs so unlike you I will not result to gutter language pal.

Edited by wHIZZY
  • Haha 1

Who are Harry and Meghan? :S