notaclue

Princely Harold and Meghan

3 hours ago, wHIZZY said:

Personally, I believe anyone born in this country is unbelievably lucky and priviledged in that we are amongst the top 5% of the world's wealthist population

Maybe they might also look around their communities and wonder why their local GP is no longer accepting new patients , why their local hospital has had to cancel operations because they can no longer cope , why their local council has boarded up every public convenience in town closed their local tip no longer clean streets and only collect your refuse once a month . Maybe they might notice many other shortcomings in such an apparently wealthy country . Maybe just maybe they might wonder where all that wealth is .

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, wHIZZY said:

I saw this as a discussion and a sharing of viewpoints, not an argument I must win at all costs so unlike you I will not result to gutter language pal.

And from a “so called moderator” who should know better. Rabski, you deserve a slap! :clout:.

:rofl:

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, wHIZZY said:

For me it's about having enough not excess. Love and family and freedom of expression. 

If you really think all that stuff will really make you any happier then good luck to you. 

Unlike you I will not result to gutter language pal.

You merely asked whether I would swap my life. I suppose, joking aside, I wouldn't, because I am very happy (well, content enough) where I am. The point I am trying (obviously without success) to make, is that if we are looking for people who are justified to compain about their life, in my considered opinion this couple would come a very, very long way down that list. Would it make me any happier? Probably not, but to be honest, I suspect I'd cope just fine. I certainly wouldn't feel it appropriate, under the circumstances, to whine about how terrible life was.

Anyway, it's not gutter language. Shakespeare and Chaucer used far worse, and that particular word is one of the most wonderful, impresssive and adaptive ones in the English language. It can be a noun (“I don’t give a f**k”), a verb (“We were f*****g”), an adjective (“Let me drive the f******g car”), an adverb (“What are you f*****g doing?”), and an interjection (“F**k”). It can be used to modify a sentence in both positive and negative contexts. It is, in short, a grammatical wonder. Stolen from Sterling Johnson, incidentally, but very appropriate. Billy Connolly summed up my attitude to it: "A lot of people say that it's a lack of vocabulary that makes you swear. Rubbish. I know thousands of words' but I still prefer 'f**k'."

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

I'm still struggling to have an opinion, but I am leaning towards Team Meghan. 

I imagine the Queen and her family are all ghastly snobs. Plus Phillip, Andrew, Edward and plenty of the others are just plain ghastly.

Meghan would do well to take Harold and baby Archibald away from their ghastliness. 

• Haha 1

Am I wrong in thinking the Queen was quite fit in her younger days? Would I be sent to the Tower?

12 minutes ago, rabski said:

You merely asked whether I would swap my life. I suppose, joking aside, I wouldn't, because I am very happy (well, content enough) where I am. The point I am trying (obviously without success) to make, is that if we are looking for people who are justified to compain about their life, in my considered opinion this couple would come a very, very long way down that list. Would it make me any happier? Probably not, but to be honest, I suspect I'd cope just fine. I certainly wouldn't feel it appropriate, under the circumstances, to whine about how terrible life was.

Anyway, it's not gutter language. Shakespeare and Chaucer used far worse, and that particular word is one of the most wonderful, impresssive and adaptive ones in the English language. It can be a noun (“I don’t give a f**k”), a verb (“We were f*****g”), an adjective (“Let me drive the f******g car”), an adverb (“What are you f*****g doing?”), and an interjection (“F**k”). It can be used to modify a sentence in both positive and negative contexts. It is, in short, a grammatical wonder. Stolen from Sterling Johnson, incidentally, but very appropriate. Billy Connolly summed up my attitude to it: "A lot of people say that it's a lack of vocabulary that makes you swear. Rubbish. I know thousands of words' but I still prefer 'f**k'."

Oh You f*****g, t**t!.:off:

C44C5698-4B4A-49BB-AC8B-0A6BF3F67AE5.png

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, AntA said:

Am I wrong in thinking the Queen was quite fit in her younger days? Would I be sent to the Tower?

She was, but now you have said so - Off with your head

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, wHIZZY said:

She was, but now you have said so - Off with your head

Which head?

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, cassidy said:

Maybe they might also look around their communities and wonder why their local GP is no longer accepting new patients , why their local hospital has had to cancel operations because they can no longer cope , why their local council has boarded up every public convenience in town closed their local tip no longer clean streets and only collect your refuse once a month . Maybe they might notice many other shortcomings in such an apparently wealthy country . Maybe just maybe they might wonder where all that wealth is .

All that sucks. But let's be honest... 1st world problems.

We hardly live in the slums of a 3rd world country here.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, bobovox said:

Fiona Bruce doing what she does best

Enlighten me - what is it she does do best?

Regards

Richard

6 hours ago, Cloth-Ears. said:

er, except that Meghan is stunning

really - something about beauty being in the eye of the beholder.

Regards

Richard

26 minutes ago, Amormusic said:

We hardly live in the slums of a 3rd world country here.

You've never been to Margate then?

2 minutes ago, AntA said:

You've never been to Margate then?

I know your joking but even the top 10% IMD of the UK is non comparable. We are highly fortunate where we live... 

If the bins not being collected etc. is the biggest gripe, then as said before, 1st world problems.... If born in another country we could be rubbish combing dumps for scraps to make a few pence...

On a lighter note, I'm off to play some music. 😁

13 minutes ago, Amormusic said:

I know your joking

He might not be. I've been to Margate :D

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, rabski said:

He might not be. I've been to Margate :D

Indeed. He wasn't joking.

• Upvote 1