notaclue

Princely Harold and Meghan

B.t.w. folks, The Crown on Netflix is actually very good. I haven't seen a better playing of the royals than on this. When you see older dramas that at the time seemed well played they now look quite cringy next to this. It also seems to give an insight into the Crown machinery operating at the times depicted, which I found quite fascinating. It also added to my view of sympathy, respect and gratitude towards those who are thrust into the key roles and all their pressures and restrictions, with little choice but to do it. I didn't think I'd enjoy a royal family drama but honestly The Crown is really good. Can vouch for season one anyway.

Although I'm not a flag waving royalist I was recommended this by a staunch Irish Republican friend of mine.
I've seen three series of this on Netflix and found it to be really interesting especially from a historical perspective.
It appeared that whilst Margaret liked her cock, she also took it to a professional level and laid down for her country.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

When the news suddenly comes one day that the Queen has died, I honestly think I'll feel upset. I'm not an enthusiastic royal watcher or anything of the sort and I haven't served in any capacity involving oaths. But what is there involved here ?  Longevity and length of service from a young age, the things she has seen and been privy to, through periods of existential threats to nation and through transformative change, there as a constant as figurehead. As she had grown older she has become, symbolically, a mother to and then eventually a wise old grandmother to the nation. In her ageing and in eventually her death we are perhaps also reminded of our own ageing and dying loved ones. In the case of the Queen, she is like a head of nation. Will be much collectively mourned. Mourned for the passing of someone who connects us to our turbulent recent past, one who has had to sacrifice herself to a life of service, has always been there as a constant, carrying herself with dignity in some very trying circumstances at times. I think even many who take a view against having a monarchy at all will at least recognise her stoical and selfless contribution and perhaps feel a loss like you do an old senior in your own family. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Cloth-Ears. said:

In the case of Harry and Meghan, I don't really care. Although, Meghan does give me the horn.

Not saying much considering that a ring donut probably gives you the horn too... :whistle:

2 minutes ago, Cloth-Ears. said:

A hole's a hole. :^

Never heard a better argument for a soap on a rope! :shaggers: 

• Haha 2

I don't give a damn about the subject under discussion, but when I saw the title of the thread I felt that the OP and others are in need of a little education in English nomenclature. Harry is not short for Harold. It is the Middle English form of Henry.

How other cultures use it is irrelevant to this topic.

4 hours ago, Cloth-Ears. said:

B.t.w. folks, The Crown on Netflix is actually very good. I haven't seen a better playing of the royals than on this. When you see older dramas that at the time seemed well played they now look quite cringy next to this. It also seems to give an insight into the Crown machinery operating at the times depicted, which I found quite fascinating. It also added to my view of sympathy, respect and gratitude towards those who are thrust into the key roles and all their pressures and restrictions, with little choice but to do it. I didn't think I'd enjoy a royal family drama but honestly The Crown is really good. Can vouch for season one anyway.

Thanks for the heads up on this Clothy,  just watched the first episode and it's quite outstanding. 

Edited by wHIZZY
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Guzziboy said:

Harry is not short for Harold. It is the Middle English form of Henry.

Page 1 :whistle:

• Haha 1

On 10/01/2020 at 18:33, Amormusic said:

All that sucks. But let's be honest... 1st world problems.

We hardly live in the slums of a 3rd world country here.

First apologies for tardy response somehow I seem to miss a lot of response notifications.

Firstly no I don't think underfunding of public services is trivial minor irritation or a "First World Problem" depends on how you judge a society by it's overall wealth or what it does with it.

No we don't live in the slums of a third world country nor do we live in a hole full of owls which is why I made neither comparison.

3 hours ago, cassidy said:

nor do we live in a hole full of owls

I am thankful for that. 

Bloody owls. 

8 minutes ago, horace said:

I am thankful for that. 

Bloody owls. 

Yep. Always owling. Day and night.

• Haha 1

Owlists