dari

best mahler 6th

be the end of last year I went thru 'all I could find' Mahler 6th Symphony recordings, looking for the best performance/ recording 

the outcome of my findings is that the absolute best must be the Teodor Currentzis and his MusicAeterna take on Mahler 6th

it's so engaging, crisp, colourful, far from boring and flat like so many others and it's perfectly recorded too..

an absolute winner for me

it's time to check Mr. Currentzis other creations

what's your favourite?

I have three discs, Bernstein, Boulez and Gergiev. I haven’t listened to them for a while, so I shall have to rectify that.

How did they fare in your survey?

Super Wammer

With works like this that I don’t often hear in the concert hall, I’m invariably drawn to the first recording I got to know.  I therefore admire Abbado and the Chicago SO, and the newer Boulez - though he’s sometimes a bit analytical. 

Currentzis is definitely a firebrand and he makes you sit up and listen, whatever he conducts.  His Pathetique is fierce and passionate too. 

• Like 1

Mahler 6 used to be one of my favourite works, but I've not listened to it in ages.  Time passes, the familiar becomes too familiar, taste changes, always new things to explore.

Anton Nanut conducting his Ljubliana SO used to be one of my favoured recordings, fast and exciting, although he should have slowed down a bit more for the beautiful slow mvt imo.
Another good one was Michiyoshi Inoue live on RPO's own label, long "out of print"!  His later recording for Exton isn't as good imo.

I'll give Currentzis a try.

Tennstedt/EMI is by far my favoured Mahler 3, I shall have a try of his 6th as well.

Bernstein’s New York 6 just gets it for me; just a shame about the recording quality. As for the third I’ve yet to find anything that betters Horenstein. All to my taste of course!

Oh, and for the magical fourth the new Vanska is delightful, tender and magnificent, all in the right places.

Gergiev for the 2nd, my god, the 1st mvt is cataclysmic! 

9th, Saraste. 

3 hours ago, Nopiano said:

Currentzis is definitely a firebrand and he makes you sit up and listen, whatever he conducts.  His Pathetique is fierce and passionate too. 

for me that's all that matters: passion in music

for the same reason I admire (and just sit and listen) Gould or Argerich. friend of mine (pianist) keep saying: passion is the very reason he can't stop listening true romantic players, he says most of that passion is lost in Todays very technical renditions. we not always agree but I totally get his point. 

Super Wammer
14 minutes ago, dari said:

for me that's all that matters: passion in music

for the same reason I admire (and just sit and listen) Gould or Argerich. friend of mine (pianist) keep saying: passion is the very reason he can't stop listening true romantic players, he says most of that passion is lost in Todays very technical renditions. we not always agree but I totally get his point. 

It’s all fascinating.  Most of Gould doesn’t do it for me, I’m afraid; but most of Argerich is terrific, even if she’s a bit too hotheaded at times.  Amongst the younger generation there are many varieties and subtleties alongside the technical security.  Trifonov and Grosvenor, for example, both have technique to burn, but play entirely differently!

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, Camverton said:

Oh, and for the magical fourth the new Vanska is delightful, tender and magnificent, all in the right places

I must try that!  I’m still enjoying Ivan Fischer.

• Like 1

Thanks to dari for reinvigorating my interest in the 6th.

I've been investigating a few courtesy of Qobuz this afternoon - most are also-rans, and I must confess no huge enthusiasm for Currentzis.

But Barbirolli - oh my gosh!  Quite slow, but remorseless and hewn from granite.  Stunning.

• Like 1