jcchristopher

Apple TV setup with DSM

Oddly, I've stopped being able to send audio to my Klimax DSM with my AppleTV. 

Can anyone tell me the best way to setup an AppleTV? 

I have a Samsung UN65RU which is the latest technology (less than a year old with AirPlay built in) and it has one ARC HDMI port. 

I'd like to be able to use the TV's speakers and have the option to send the audio to the DSM. 

Thanks,

John

Edited by jcchristopher
more detail

I’m using a 3 year old Samsung. I think it’s the 7500 series and I take the audio signal via toslink to the mdsm/1. I’ve never tried HDMI arc as my mdsm only has HDMI 1.4. The Apple TV is connected to the TV via a high speed HDMI cable that Apple suggested for 4K viewing and the TV sends audio to my tri-Aktive kabers via the mdsm/1

I like watching movies with this setup.

Thanks zee9. I have one HDMI cable going from the ATV to my TV and another going from at the HDMI-ARC which should works since my KDSM has HDMI 2.0. I'll try the Toslink cable though. 

On 13/01/2020 at 18:57, jcchristopher said:

Thanks zee9. I have one HDMI cable going from the ATV to my TV and another going from at the HDMI-ARC which should works since my KDSM has HDMI 2.0. I'll try the Toslink cable though. 

That should work fine, that's how I've connected mine as well. Have you tried power cycling the KDSM?

The Toslink cable works well in my system. I also just picked up a new HDMI cable to see if that was the culprit but I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. 

You have told the TV to send the audio output to HDMI/ARC? That is also required (at least it is on my LG)

I think there is a fundamental misunderstanding as to how this is supposed to work.

Usually, Linn expects you to connect the HDMI gear to the DSM and route the sound through it. So ATV - DSM - TV. The ARC is only there to use the TVs HDMI in (fed by the DSMs HDMI out) as an output for the TV sound.

• Like 1

His use of ARC is correct - it should feed back out the sound of whatever is being displayed on the TV screen. I use it when I plug a video on a USB memory stick into the TV's USB port, works perfectly.

CJ

I just use one Toslink cable connected between my Sony TV & MDSM.

The TV sound, or the sound of anything that's connected to the TV's HDMI ports, comes directly out of the MDSM.

So I just got a new HDMI cable and found that if I plug the ATV into one of the TV's HDMI ports and then have the TV's HDMI ARC connected to my KDSM's HDMI 4 (ARC), then I can send sound from my TV successfully to the KDSM. I didn't initially realize that HDMI 4 on the KDSM was ARC and had been trying to use HDMI 1. 

Edited by jcchristopher