Super Wammer

Got some free time I was not expecting so decided rather than just talk about it I would do a full DIRAC session using the added delayed time feature and see if it made any difference . Fist thing is it is really easy to set up just a button click on the timer icon next to measure then you can choose how much delay will be on each measure in the section . Being old and frankly clumsy I chose 15 seconds t give my self an easy and slow exit form the room with no stress . Nice to see that once set the delay is applied to all of the full set of measurements until you decide to change it .

Well completed and sadly no veils have been lifted , no inky black bass has been in evidence nor has Linda shouted from another room "what have done with the Hi Fi". I am not able to hear much if any difference at all to the two sessions one with me in the room one without they sound so similar . However it does prove that the delay works and certainly that making the measurement out of the room is now easy . At least it will stop any noises you might make while in the room . For my active system and in a small room I think I will probably do it this way in future and just leave the room , it cost little time and ensures there is nice quiet room for the recording to be as good as it can be .

• Like 2

5 hours ago, bencat said:

MiniDSP Forum seems to say that there are still issues with 3.9.0 and most seem to advise staying with using 3.5.0 . So there you have it you pays your money and you take your choice .

The one user who had reported an issue with 3.0.9 has now got it working, by uninstalling and reinstalling. The change log specifically refers to 3.0.9 fixing an issue with miniDSPs using 3.08 so it would be good to think it's resolved the issue affecting the SHD. I may get round to trying it at the weekend.

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer

MiniDSP have now confirmed that they support 3.9.0 and that it has fixed the issues that had appeared with 3.7.0 they say they have tested with all models so should be okay to use .

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bencat said:

MiniDSP have now confirmed that they support 3.9.0 and that it has fixed the issues that had appeared with 3.7.0 they say they have tested with all models so should be okay to use .

That's good to know :).

(Just in case it confuses anyone, it's 3.0.7 and 3.0.9 btw.)

Super Wammer
On 08/10/2020 at 10:45, MartinC said:

That's good to know :).

(Just in case it confuses anyone, it's 3.0.7 and 3.0.9 btw.)

Of course it is see what going to the gym does for your brains. Even worse after a stained glass class my brain is just mush and I revert to single words like drink ,food,sleep.

• Haha 1

Morning,

You may have heard Tidal have developed tidal connect and have rolled out the function to a few devices.

I'm keen for this to be available on the minidsp components, mainly the shd studio - as I own one, so I followed up with minidsp and here is their response:

Hi Kub,

Thanks for the suggestion. We don't have a Tidal Connect at this stage but will make sure to warn Volumio for future improvement. UNfortunately as a company policy we can never promise a feature until it's out. For that reason, we can't really answer if that is something that will be available. We'll certainly suggest for future improvement! :-)

Hoping this info helps and feel free to contact us if you have further questions.

**End**

This will be a big step up from using the Volumino app ... and to be honest I'm getting a bit bored of it as it is sooo basic and sometimes glitchy and slow.

From their response I'm not sure who would need to make the enhancement, Volumino or minidsp ....

Cheers,

Sent from my Mi Note 10 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I wasn't aware of Tidal connect but yes, and equivalent of Spotify Connect for Tidal would be a big step up from the rather poor Volumio interface. 

Are you using a WiFi or ethernet connection @Kubs? The current interface is more reliable via ethernet.

Morning@MartinC - yes, it's connected by ethernet.

It's ok but compared to other apps and interfaces it's a few versions behind.

3 minutes ago, Kubs said:

Morning@MartinC - yes, it's connected by ethernet.

It's ok but compared to other apps and interfaces it's a few versions behind.

My main issue with it is the lack of information like even a year of release, and any form of suggestion of similar material. Essentially it works as purely a type in what you want and then listen to it interface but not much more.

I bought my SHD for its other features and viewed the streaming functionality as a bonus. I'm keeping it in mind that adding a separate streamer with a better UI is an option if Volumio doesn't improve.

My main issue with it is the lack of information like even a year of release, and any form of suggestion of similar material. Essentially it works as purely a type in what you want and then listen to it interface but not much more.
I bought my SHD for its other features and viewed the streaming functionality as a bonus. I'm keeping it in mind that adding a separate streamer with a better UI is an option if Volumio doesn't improve.
Yes, that's spot on.
I too have thought about adding a steamer in the chain for a better user experience and to also evaluate any noticeable sound changes. Hans Beekhunyzen (YouTube) has a Auralic G2 streamer before the minidsp studio shd and he reports excellent results .....

11 hours ago, Kubs said:

Yes, that's spot on.
I too have thought about adding a steamer in the chain for a better user experience and to also evaluate any noticeable sound changes. Hans Beekhunyzen (YouTube) has a Auralic G2 streamer before the minidsp studio shd and he reports excellent results .....

An Auralic Aries G2 would cost about £4k. I'll be honest I was more thinking along the lines of a Bluesound Node 2i :). If miniDSP ever sort out the Roon certification issue then paying for that is another option I suppose.

• Like 1

Just got a miniDSP 2x4 from a friend. I down loaded REW. Installed the Umik calibration file. Opened up REW to check it out and now I realize I have to go back to university for a course in sound acoustics 🤦‍♂️

Oh boy ...

• Like 1