Recommended Posts

Super Wammer

For me when I am using a DDRC 24 and its digital crossover in to active speakers the best option is using the DDRC 24 as Digital Crossover , Dirac Live DSP , and DAC Pre . Using the remote to control volume . I have found this to offer the most direct route use the least number of boxes and offer the best sound quality option . So in my view sending the analogue output to a Pre amp offers tighter volume control but adds more things in the way to alter or change the sound quality which with the Pre amps I have used is consistently worse than the straight through option .

In my passive system which is Allo Digione (not Signature) in to DDRC 22D for Dirac Live treatment then digital out to Denafrips Pro 8 Mk1 and then the XLR outputs in to my Power amplifier again with no pre amp in the circuit and again volume is controlled using the remote on the DDRC 22D . I have tried a number of options including a Khozomo Passive Pre and for my ears and system direct digtal without any pre has worked best .

So my answer is no you are not mad to try and I think you should see which option you prefer . It may well be that you have a class one pre which improves the sound , or it may well be using the pre gives you the sound you know and love which is fine. Direct offers a slightly different flavour and I prefer it . All this will cost you is a little time so experiment and enjoy then let us have your views .

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Psilonaught said:

Hi miniDSP owners

I'm considering trying running a studio SHD direct into my dac and using the studio's volume control to negate the need for my preamp.

Has anyone tried doing this ? Am I mad to try?

I haven't but loads of people have done this apparently successfully so no you're not mad to try. 

(I do the equivalent using the DAC built into my SHD.)

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To save duplication I'll say I've just given this a go a posted the results here:

https://www.minidsp.com/forum/dirac-series-support/17205-ddrc-24-gain-structure-and-internal-headroom?start=15#52833

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moderator

Likewise, to save duplication, have been experimenting with various levels of bass boost in target curves and seeing how Dirac's limit of 10dB boost affects what actually happens - see: 

https://www.minidsp.com/forum/dirac-series-support/17205-ddrc-24-gain-structure-and-internal-headroom?start=30#52843

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm increasingly thinking that removing the preamp might be a good idea. I already own a very nice valve dac and therefore using a SHD would allow me to only "hear" that unit and not have a preamp alter the sound. 

I can then focus on eventually upgrading the dac to a end-game top flight DHT Lapizator dac/preamp.

Once I'm feeling flush again...just had a massive tax bill...I'll order a SHD and report back. I guess I should logically buy the non-studio version, and give AD/DA another chance, in lieu of my DBX analogue crossover, although based on my experience with the beringer :sick: I won't hold my breath.

I assume the bigger SHD can behave like a Studio and just work in the digital domain? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Psilonaught said:

I assume the bigger SHD can behave like a Studio and just work in the digital domain? 

It can but note that the two units have different digital input and output options so check they are suitable.

Note there are UK distributers that you may be able to get a demo unit from, so I'd see if this were possible if I were you. I think Strictly Stereo, Kalibrate and Igloo are your options but the miniDSP website seems to be down right now to check.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

In case anyone is looking for a MiniDSP device, I see that a DDRC 22D along with a UMIK-1 has just turned up for sale in the megastore

Edited by Ward
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
17 hours ago, Ward said:

In case anyone is looking for a MiniDSP device, I see that a DDRC 22D along with a UMIK-1 has just turned up for sale in the megastore

Problem is when I try to access the megastore from the tab I just get an error is this just me or is anyone else getting this issue ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moderator
4 minutes ago, bencat said:

Problem is when I try to access the megastore from the tab I just get an error is this just me or is anyone else getting this issue ?

I get the same Andrew

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer

In case you have not seen it DIRAC Live has a new updated version to 3.0.13 which seems to be stable . reading the Changelog not that much different but it makes sense to have the latest version with all the previous fixes added . One thing it does say which I am not sure I understand but will have to find out about .

Added

  • Installer now supports unattended usage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer

Just a question really . I have found the Behringer DCX unit quite confusing and in the set up using a simple digital in via XLR / EBS has issues as the unit does not appear to be made to use as a stereo unit using that input . It may work in getting my three way to be fully active but I may end up having to connect to it via analogue in which adds a extra DAC in the line which I would prefer to do without .

So have browsed through the MiniDSP catalogue and found the miniDSP 10x10 HD processor which seems to be a bigger version of the 2x4 HD . This could handle the digital input from the DDRC 22D and then as i am doing set the cr for each channel . I have spotted one on e-bay and it is a bit much but I think it will be much easier for me to use as I recognise the controls and software and will keep things digital as much as possible .  Should I just stop dithering and pull the trigger and buy this or keep trying to make an active cr unit work using anlaogue outputs from a DAC ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, bencat said:

In case you have not seen it DIRAC Live has a new updated version to 3.0.13 which seems to be stable . reading the Changelog not that much different but it makes sense to have the latest version with all the previous fixes added . One thing it does say which I am not sure I understand but will have to find out about .

Added

  • Installer now supports unattended usage.

Many thanks for the update. I did notice that there is now a setting whereby you can delay the measurements so that you have time to exit the room. Is that what unattended usage refers to?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
16 minutes ago, Camverton said:

Many thanks for the update. I did notice that there is now a setting whereby you can delay the measurements so that you have time to exit the room. Is that what unattended usage refers to?

Probably, but you will not be listening outside of the room, so is it a benefit? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, greybeard said:

Probably, but you will not be listening outside of the room, so is it a benefit? 

I guess it depends on where you are when you operate the computer running dirac. A big blob like me could act as a very effective sound absorber - well, at least until I open my mouth :D. I’ve often thought that the best way to take the listener into account would be to have the mic sticking out of ones nose, but even my nose isn’t big enough for that!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
35 minutes ago, Camverton said:

I guess it depends on where you are when you operate the computer running dirac. A big blob like me could act as a very effective sound absorber - well, at least until I open my mouth :D. I’ve often thought that the best way to take the listener into account would be to have the mic sticking out of ones nose, but even my nose isn’t big enough for that!

I suppose the best option would be to dlay settings and then take your listening position.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.