MiniDSP

MartinC

Thanks again for this.

Another quick question, if I do away with the analogue inputs into the miniDSP from the DAC can I use the USB connection from the laptop to the 2x4 to send signals from REW for measuring?

Just now, iann said:

Thanks again for this.

Another quick question, if I do away with the analogue inputs into the miniDSP from the DAC can I use the USB connection from the laptop to the 2x4 to send signals from REW for measuring?

Yes that is how I use it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. Not wishing to derail the current discussion, but I have a quick question.

Is anyone still using the old MiniDSP 2x4 ( non HD )?

I want a system EQ as I don't enjoy the modern hifi sound ( to bright ) and am considering using a 2x4 in the pre/power loop on my amp. No room correction or measurements, just what sounds good to my ear.

I suppose I want to know whether the old 2x4 would do the job without any noticeable loss of quality.

cheers

• 3 weeks later...

Hi its been a long time since i posted but been looking for a mini dsp but not sure which one to get but was looking at theses image.jpeg.53f6f1160733736d8035458645bbebde.jpegbut basically need it for 2 channel hifi with no sub so intrested in the dirac live side and maybe the built in streamer but not sure if they support Roon or not on the streamer side if not i will carry on using my OPPO and RME Dac and CD player .

So which solution would meet my needs to run my AMP , CD player , OPPO  but i was thinking the bottom model on the picture   

Super Wammer

If all you want is Dirac Live then the cheapest option is the DDRC 24  but this only has one digital input. If you want to be able to switch across inputs then you could use a DDRC 22 D or if you need analogue input as well then DDRC 22 A/D .

• 5 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 30/04/2021 at 08:53, Blacksabbath25 said:

Hi its been a long time since i posted but been looking for a mini dsp but not sure which one to get but was looking at theses image.jpeg.53f6f1160733736d8035458645bbebde.jpegbut basically need it for 2 channel hifi with no sub so intrested in the dirac live side and maybe the built in streamer but not sure if they support Roon or not on the streamer side if not i will carry on using my OPPO and RME Dac and CD player .

So which solution would meet my needs to run my AMP , CD player , OPPO  but i was thinking the bottom model on the picture   

Have you progressed this thought at all since posting? 

Roon support will probably be coming fairly soon to the SHD series. It's been worked on for ages by miniDSP but it does sound like it's almost there. If this is critical I'd definitely hold off on any purchase until it has been finalised though.

Edit: here's the latest update I've seen from miniDSP re. Roon:

https://www.minidsp.com/forum/announcements/18895-new-volumio-build-1-099-for-shd-series

(I use Qobuz myself on my SHD.)

Edited by MartinC

19 hours ago, MartinC said:

Have you progressed this thought at all since posting? 

Roon support will probably be coming fairly soon to the SHD series. It's been worked on for ages by miniDSP but it does sound like it's almost there. If this is critical I'd definitely hold off on any purchase until it has been finalised though.

Edit: here's the latest update I've seen from miniDSP re. Roon:

https://www.minidsp.com/forum/announcements/18895-new-volumio-build-1-099-for-shd-series

(I use Qobuz myself on my SHD.)

Not brought anything yet still looking 

On 30/04/2021 at 08:53, Blacksabbath25 said:

As you're still looking I say a bit more... 

You definitely don't want and SHD Power. Between the other two it depends whether you're looking to use digital or analogue outputs from your CD player and OPPO? The SHD Studio only has digital inputs (and outputs) and the SHD has one analogue input. In my own system I have an OPPO blu-ray player connected to the analogue inputs on my SHD (for left and right main speakers, not sub) and my CD player is connected to a digital input. In practice though I no longer use the CD player and just use the streamer functionality instead.

Note that any analogue input signal on the SHD is internally converted to a digital signal for the Dirac and other processing. 

Oh, and subs for music are great and this is a key reason I own my SHD. Don't totally discount this long term :).

8 minutes ago, MartinC said:

As you're still looking I say a bit more... 

You definitely don't want and SHD Power. Between the other two it depends whether you're looking to use digital or analogue outputs from your CD player and OPPO? The SHD Studio only has digital inputs (and outputs) and the SHD has one analogue input. In my own system I have an OPPO blu-ray player connected to the analogue inputs on my SHD (for left and right main speakers, not sub) and my CD player is connected to a digital input. In practice though I no longer use the CD player and just use the streamer functionality instead.

Note that any analogue input signal on the SHD is internally converted to a digital signal for the Dirac and other processing. 

Oh, and subs for music are great and this is a key reason I own my SHD. Don't totally discount this long term :).

My OPPO is connected optically / XLRs  running through the RME Dac and my CD player i am using Coax / XLRs through the RME Dac so thought if i could get SHD that does streaming , Roon , Dirac live i could take the OPPO out of the chain and just use my CD player ,and the SHD for streaming  

6 minutes ago, Blacksabbath25 said:

My OPPO is connected optically / XLRs  running through the RME Dac and my CD player i am using Coax / XLRs through the RME Dac so thought if i could get SHD that does streaming , Roon , Dirac live i could take the OPPO out of the chain and just use my CD player ,and the SHD for streaming  

Sorry, I don't follow you there. What does 'optically / XLRs' and 'Coax / XLRs' mean? They seem contradictory options...

36 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Sorry, I don't follow you there. What does 'optically / XLRs' and 'Coax / XLRs' mean? They seem contradictory options...

For some reason the RME Dac needs an XLR connection for the sound and a optical cable for the screen display signal on the RME Dac as the RME Dac has taking over the Dac inside the OPPO so for the CD player i have it connected using a Coax and XLRs to take over the Dac inside the CD player .

If i just connect the XLRs only i do not get a screen signal on the RME display 

10 minutes ago, Blacksabbath25 said:

For some reason the RME Dac needs an XLR connection for the sound and a optical cable for the screen display signal on the RME Dac as the RME Dac has taking over the Dac inside the OPPO so for the CD player i have it connected using a Coax and XLRs to take over the Dac inside the CD player .

If i just connect the XLRs only i do not get a screen signal on the RME display 

Well that sounds weird!

Once/if full Roon support is confirmed I think you have two ways you could go with minidSPs:

1. Buy an SHD Studio, connect your CD player and Oppo to two different digital inputs (one optical and one AES/EBU XLR), and then send the output of the SHD Studio into your RME DAC. The output are SPDIF RCA or AES/EBU XLR. You could probably use the SHD Studio screen to see the info. you want if your RME DAC has issues.
  2. Sell your RME DAC and use an SHD to do all of the above.

What wouldn't make sense would be to feed the analogue output of your RME DAC into an SHD.

2 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Well that sounds weird!

Once/if full Roon support is confirmed I think you have two ways you could go with minidSPs:

1. Buy an SHD Studio, connect your CD player and Oppo to two different digital inputs (one optical and one AES/EBU XLR), and then send the output of the SHD Studio into your RME DAC. The output are SPDIF RCA or AES/EBU XLR. You could probably use the SHD Studio screen to see the info. you want if your RME DAC has issues.
  2. Sell your RME DAC and use an SHD to do all of the above.

What wouldn't make sense would be to feed the analogue output of your RME DAC into an SHD.

To be totally honest i want to lower the box count to just my amp , CD player , streamer that is why i thought about buying the streamer from minidsp as it did streaming , Roon , and room correction in one box 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hi
Has anyone tried a power supply with their minidsp studio SHD? Something like an sbooster .... If so, could you please share your experiences?
Cheers,

Sent from my Mi Note 10 using Tapatalk

Super Wammer

I have replaced all of the MiniDSP units I use (DDRC 24 , DDRC 22D , 10 x 10 HD) with Linear Power Supplies . In my main music system I use the second output from an Allo Shanti . In my Active Three way system I use Baldwin units one for the DDRC 22D at 5V and one on the 10 x 10 for 12V . On my latest active system which is two way using Linn Sara 9 I use the LPSU for Perpetual Technologies on the 12 v tap in to the DDRC 24 .

In all cases the use of an LPSU has resulted in quieter back grounds and a more natural sound of voices and instruments and a strange one but on the Sara Active system bass seems to be more rhythmic and time better . I only noticed these changes when I added the LPSU and the sound before seemed to be very good but once the lower noise floor and great naturalness is heard it is very hard to go back .

I have only done back to back comparison using the main system with the DDRC 22 which only doing the DIRAC Live DSP work and it fairly easy to switch from switched mode PSU supplied with the MiniDSP and the Allo Shanti . I was also able to do the same on the Linn Sara active set up as again it is easy to just switch the PSU . As the Sara sytem is the most recent I ony did the comparison once and over about thirty minutes listening to various tracks right through then switching but it was just very clear that the LPSU makes the DDRC 24 less harsh and adds to the real feeling of real music playing .

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1