MiniDSP

MartinC

I've been in touch with mcru and they've recommended:

https://www.mcru.co.uk/product/linear-power-supply-for-music-servers-streamers/

I'll give this a go ....

Sent from my Mi Note 10 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

I have put the following under the Computer based HiFi thread as it might help there as well .

This is an issue I have had with MiniDSP DDRC 22D when connected to an Allo Digione Signature Player

"

I know that this is very likely to be a very niche issue and there will not be that many others that have a similar problem but for all I know there may be others using the DDRC 22D with other items and have come across the same issue.

Now in my active three way system I have used an Allo Digione and a Pi 4 / Musical Fidelity V-Link 192 as players with out any issues and turned the system including the players off every night and back next day no problem . The Player and the DDRC 22D were both powered by the same dual supply Baldwin LPSU .

Now after dithering for a long while decided to get an Allo Digione Signature and this requires two power inputs for the one unit so I used the Baldwin LPSU for the Allo and an Allo Shanti for the DDRC 22D of the 3 amp feed.

I then started to get a strange thing happening which was I would turn on the system and it would power up . As always any Pi player has to boot up and connect to the internet and then LMS and after about a minute the player will appear on the Material Skin controller on my laptop . I then choose the Allo Signature player and start the music i want to hear . It starts on the screen and I can see the bar moving showing it is playing but no sound . I try rebooting the player and in the end the only thing that works is to open the Moode Audio page and take the player to None reboot and then choose Allo Digione Signature and the sound after rebooting Squeezeplay comes out . Not very good .

Tried using a different distro (Max2play) and get the same thing happening I know all those that say using a Pi is silly and lots of faff will have another reason to avoid but this is my chosen way . Asked for help from Max2play and got some advice and suggestions which one by one I tried but nothing seemed to work . The went through a checklist of things that might help . Came to sequenced switch on as one thing to try and switched on the main system including the the Allo Signature but not the DDRC 22D let the Allo settle and appear on my LMS page and then turned on the DDRC 22D and bingo music straight away . Done this sequence switch on for the last three days and no more issues .

I can only presume that when the DDRC 22D boots up at the same times as the Allo that the connection handshake they make when the Allo is not fully booted up is corrupted and compromised and so a full and proper connection is not made . The SPDIF light on the DDRC 22D is lit up and the Dirac Live light as well but a not full connection has been made . Turning the DDRC 22D on when the Allo is fully running and stable seems to make a good handshake connection and no issues.

Would be nice to have a better and easier solution but as it works now will just carry on like this ."

• Like 1

18 hours ago, bencat said:

I can only presume that when the DDRC 22D boots up at the same times as the Allo that the connection handshake they make when the Allo is not fully booted up is corrupted and compromised and so a full and proper connection is not made . The SPDIF light on the DDRC 22D is lit up and the Dirac Live light as well but a not full connection has been made . Turning the DDRC 22D on when the Allo is fully running and stable seems to make a good handshake connection and no issues.

Would be nice to have a better and easier solution but as it works now will just carry on like this ."

Andrew

Is it possible to get a boot log ?

This would /should show the boot sequence.

Have you tried powering up the DDRC 22D first and then the rpi ?

ronnie

2 hours ago, Man in a van said:

Andrew

Is it possible to get a boot log ?

This would /should show the boot sequence.

Have you tried powering up the DDRC 22D first and then the rpi ?

ronnie

Hi Ronnie 

Yes I did try powering up the DDRC22D first and it would not connect . It seems that having the source (I used both the Allo Sig on SPDIF and a USB input via AES) and both had the same problem . Switch the system including the Allo Sig first and only when that is all on then switching on the DDRC 22D fixes it . Not ideal but easy to do would like to understand the issue though. 

• 4 weeks later...

In case anyone is looking for a MiniDSP DDRC-24, one has come up for sale on Pink Fish Media

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/minidsp-ddrc-24-with-umik-1.259173/

Ward

• Like 1

Just in case and this is probably very likely you are not doing regular checks on the Dirac Website for when they do updated versions of their software. I have not found anywhere on the site were you can register for them to send you a notice of any updates so you just have to keep visiting every now and then . Well there is now a new 3.1.1. version out and here is the link if any one wants to do an update.

https://www.dirac.com/live/downloads/

• Like 2

Thanks Andrew - time I updated mine!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Tony_J said:

Thanks Andrew - time I updated mine!

Ahh thats great as I say i try and visit the site at least once a month but i have been rather busy with problems with my Allo Signature player so it had been a while since I looked and noticed that it had jumped from 3.0.14 up to 3.1.1 so just updated today . Not used it but will probably do a full session on my active system first and see how that sounds and if there is any changes or hopefully improvements .

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 12/09/2021 at 13:00, bencat said:

Ahh thats great as I say i try and visit the site at least once a month but i have been rather busy with problems with my Allo Signature player so it had been a while since I looked and noticed that it had jumped from 3.0.14 up to 3.1.1 so just updated today . Not used it but will probably do a full session on my active system first and see how that sounds and if there is any changes or hopefully improvements .

The folllowing post on the miniDSP forum shows there are issues with this latest version of Dirac Live that means I'll hold off updating for now. They specifically cite issues with 2.1 and 2.2 systems but it's not obvious to me why all users wouldn't be affected.

https://www.minidsp.com/forum/announcements/19394-dirac-v3-1-1-issue-with-2-1-2-2-systems-applies-to-shd-ddrc-24#56980

Edited by MartinC
  • Like 3

Thanks Martin - just as well that I haven't given it a try yet!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tony_J said:

Thanks Martin - just as well that I haven't given it a try yet!

I'm glad I didn't too as I never normally test the combined response, so this could have really confused me!

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I'm glad I didn't too as I never normally test the combined response, so this could have really confused me!

I don't use a combined response in my setup so it probably wouldn't have mattered, but better to have a version without known issues!

5 minutes ago, MartinC said:

You do when you listen to music :)

True!