14 minutes ago, MartinC said:

What are you using the ADC for? Can't you use this to connect your CD player into a digital miniDSP?

I think ideally what you want to do is get a demo of one of the SHD models. I'm not sure if Strictly Stereo have any now but you could check.

Switching to streaming would be another way to 'solve' your CD player dilemma of course :).

The plan in getting the ADC has always been to rip the more obscure LPs in my record collection after retiring, which I haven't started yet.  I am thinking that if I end up with a purely digital MiniDSP then the two M2Techs will replace my 834p phono stage.  I already have my entire CD collection ripped to FLAC for use in the system we have in France so streaming is not an issue, the CD is an EAR Acute II so a bit special but this model doesn't have the later one's DAC inputs and it would be a crime to use it purely as a transport.

Hello all

With apologies for what is essentially a 'double' post (I recently asked a question on the computer audio forum which didn't elicit the answers I was seeking), I've recently acquired an SHD, which is now on server, dac and Dirac duties in my system. I have a question about sub woofer integration. Specifically whether it is practical to use a sub for both my AV and stereo systems. This would be easy were I to hook up the sub to the power amp (My 300b) via the high level input, and AV into the low level channel, but I want to take advantage of a high pass/low pass filter management on the SHD.

I think by running the sub from the SHD I will effectively have two processors sharing the sub's low level input: one running Dirac and the other running Audyssy. 

I've thought to use a speaker switch to alternate between the AVR and SHD, assuming that I wouldn't have to change any settings on the sub - i.e. gain and bypass (LFE). 

Does this work do you think or do you foresee problems ahead? 

Simon 

image.png.95c7f8c8a6e1a37f1d6449872a0d7276.png

@Ashmash I'm trying to understand your diagram above. Are your two 'Switch amps' boxes different, such that the left-hand one is for switching speaker level signals whilst the one on the right is to switch between line level signals fed to an active subwoofer?

Edit: does your AVR have pre-amp outputs? I'm guessing not but you have other options if it does.

Edited by MartinC

Thanks for replying Martin. 

Yes the diagram describes two switches, one for the stereo speakers (300b / AVR), and another for the sub (SHD / AVR). It's as elegant a solution as I could devise (short of having two subs).

I have the Denon x3300w and it does have pre-outs. I don't really want to pre-out to the 300b and burn through my WE replicas every time the kids want to watch Team Titans Go!*  Are you hinting that I could connect the sub from the AVR via SHD and eliminate a switch? 

Simon 

*though it builds the argument to switch to a SS amp.

28 minutes ago, Ashmash said:

Thanks for replying Martin. 

Yes the diagram describes two switches, one for the stereo speakers (300b / AVR), and another for the sub (SHD / AVR). It's as elegant a solution as I could devise (short of having two subs).

Sorry, I'm not sure if you understood my question there. The key part was to clarify that the two 'Switch Amp' boxes you had drawn were different from each other, with one handling high level signals from amplifier outputs whilst the other is for line level signals to be fed an active subwoofer. Is this correct?

I have the Denon x3300w and it does have pre-outs. I don't really want to pre-out to the 300b and burn through my WE replicas every time the kids want to watch Team Titans Go!*  Are you hinting that I could connect the sub from the AVR via SHD and eliminate a switch? 

No, your first thought was what I had in mind: your stereo power amp driving the main speakers for all uses to get the speakers level switch out of the audio circuit. I was thinking this partly as I'm unsure if using one may degrade sound quality for music playback. I've never seen one that looked remotely high quality.

Edited by MartinC

I'll add that what I do for movie playback is to use pre-amp outputs on my blu-ray player, with the signal for the main speakers passing through my SHD with no processing or volume adjustment to my power amp. This avoids a speaker level switch in the audio circuit. The volume control on the blu-ray player controls the movie volume, including the signal sent to the sub.

Edited by MartinC

Cheers Martin. 

I understood the question but I think my answer was imprecise. It is as you inferred: two separate switches connected in the way you described.

I take your point re: switches about sound degradation. It would be a poor trade off when my goal is to achieve the highest quality reproduction I can. It's a first-world problem I guess. I've found a Beresford unit that looks good. I can try it and pass it on if not. I can always revert to unplugging/plugging speaker cables each time I want to change. 

Returning to the core question - would you anticipate that I could change between AVR and SHD (let's just way I'm unplugging one or other and not using a switch) and not have to change any settings on the back of the sub each time? 

Simon 

On 11/09/2020 at 13:37, Ashmash said:

Cheers Martin. 

I understood the question but I think my answer was imprecise. It is as you inferred: two separate switches connected in the way you described.

Sorry, I missed this reply somehow. In that case the configuration you sketched out will work.

I take your point re: switches about sound degradation. It would be a poor trade off when my goal is to achieve the highest quality reproduction I can. It's a first-world problem I guess. I've found a Beresford unit that looks good. I can try it and pass it on if not. I can always revert to unplugging/plugging speaker cables each time I want to change. 

For what it's worth I've never tried a speaker level switch to see how well one may work. I will say though that I'm pretty sure regularly swapping speaker cables over will get annoying very quickly.

Returning to the core question - would you anticipate that I could change between AVR and SHD (let's just way I'm unplugging one or other and not using a switch) and not have to change any settings on the back of the sub each time? 

Once you've got your SHD and AVR to work with the selected sub gain, yes. You'll likely need to make level adjustments on both SHD and AVR outputs to the sub to achieve this. I have in my setup. 

Edited by MartinC

3 hours ago, MartinC said:

Cheers Martin. Changing the wires is pretty tedious. For the time being I've taped the two sets together with electrical tape just short of the terminals so at least I don't have to root around on the floor looking for the ends! Mr E bay has delivered one switch, so I can have test the sound quality (though I am struggling to be arsed today).

Thanks re: the two sub inputs. That makes sense and is reassuring. 

I await the next 'B' grade ebay special sub of the right colour and then the great experiment will begin!  

I'll be interested to read how you get on Simon. One downside of my approach of sending the AV signal through the SHD is it introduces a time delay which means I can't get the lip sync as good as I'd really like.

Hey all,

My laptop can't detect the minidsp when I connect it by usb. The issue only arose when I upgraded to v1.7 .... I've downgraded back to v1.3 which seems to have solved the issue.

Also, how do I access Dirac V3 from the Dirac calibration tool? Or do I open the Dirac V3 programme and access the minidsp?

Cheers,
Kub

Sent from my Mi Note 10 using Tapatalk

This may be a terminology thing but strictly you don't use any Dirac Live calibration tool now -  I think that was just with Dirac v1. As you probably have, you now download Dirac from their website but then need to launch this using the relevant button in the miniDSP software.

Don't use Dirac v3.07 by the way, stick to v3.05. There is a compatibility issue with v3.07.

Edited by MartinC
  • Like 1

@Kubs it looks like you have an SHD Studio? If so I'm a bit confused what the v1.3 and v1.7 you're referring to are? The latest SHD plugin is 1.13?

This may be a terminology thing but strictly you don't use any Dirac Live calibration tool now -  I think that was just with Dirac v1. As you probably have, you now download Dirac from their website but then need to launch this using the relevant button in the miniDSP software.
Don't use Dirac v3.07 by the way, stick to v3.05. There is a compatibility issue with v3.07.
Thanks dude .... Will mess around with it later ...

@Kubs it looks like you have an SHD Studio? If so I'm a bit confused what the v1.3 and v1.7 you're referring to are? The latest SHD plugin is 1.13?
That's right I have the shd studio .... I'll need to retrace my steps but I'm sure there is a v1.7 available for the shd which I downloaded from the minidsp website ....

.... Thanks for the guidance