Sign in to follow this  
frog_of_toulouse

Best sensibly priced speakers with Naim set?

As far as I know, he's using NVA soundpipes and a Naim CDX.

According to you, should he change the preamp first?

Super Wammer

Your riend has an unbalanced system and this could be causing the treble problem. The difficulty is he is on a fixed budget and can only buy one item.

Ideally the CDX needs an XPS first and then a better pre-amp. The 135's are too good fro the pre and the CD player. Problem is he still may not like the treable on the Proacs. He needs to do plenty of listening to other peoples systems if that is possible.

CDX can also be quite hard. I added a CDS PS to mine and it really helped, sounds very lovely now IMO although I know plenty don't like the CDX.

A CDS PS can be had for about £400 to £550

That would then still leave £1650-£1800 for speakers. On seeing 'sensibly priced' I was going to say I got on well with my old Epos ES11s which can be had for about £70 these days ..... but given the higher budget, I would suggest listening to a few to give ideas about what type of sound is liked.

Alternatively spend some on a better pre-amp, sell the 62 to add back to the budget and then perhaps have around £1,000 to £1,400 to look at for speakers.

Frog

As the bear has said, a 62 is not really showing all that the 135's are capable of.

IMO a minimum of an 82 would be a much better bet. It would be a sensible move to get a better pre before changing the Proac.

Depending on what this does to the budget - Neat, Kudosor B&W Nautilus are well regardedmatches with Naim amps.

With 135's I ran Naut 805's and then 803's, and I am now a convert to Neat

I'll throw Totem into the hat as well, great match with Naim.

Agree with others, best upgarde the pre first then sell the 62 and see what's in that price bracket, plenty of good choices mentioned :^

Polarbear wrote:

boxer wrote:
^ Errrrrrr, dare I suggest that the treble harshness isn't the ProAcs (I still have my Response 1Sc & treble harshness is not a ProAc characteristic), but is the electronics: I have found some generations of Naim amps & CDPs to be hard in the treble, especially if using Naim cables.

You dare and you may be right, the 62 is letting the 135's down and Chrome Bumper Naim was never known for tame treble!

I've always found the olive Naim gear to be more forward sounding than the Chrome Bumper stuff....and the 135's are probably the sweetest of all the CB power amps...but then none of the early JV stuff was pipe n' slipper material either...

Well if its the treble he finds harsh with the proacs I wouldnt suggest any of the speakers mentioned so far as I think it will only be worse!

I cant advise regarding the pre amp and how much difference that should make but maybe its a case of the Naim sound not being for him, has he tried any other amplifiers?

Polarbear wrote:

The 135's are too good fro the pre and the CD player. Problem is he still may not like the treable on the Proacs. He needs to do plenty of listening to other peoples systems if that is possible.

The latter piece of advice is bang on the money, cos it's your friends ears, tastes etc that cannot be taken into consideration, and will be the deciding factorno matter how many ideas we all stick out here....

As an example, the 72 pre was once Naim's top pre-amp, widely used with 135's, now time has marched on and it no longer holds that top spot (it's no longer in production either) but does that suddenly make it a bad match for the 135's?....I'd say your friend should have a listen to one of those before he aims at 82's or 52's or whatever....he *might* not need to advance further up the pre-amp chain to sort out his treble problems....

As an aside, how long has your friend owned the CB stuff?....because the older stuff can benefit from a bit of TLC in the service departments if it's been decades since they were touched....

Or your friend could really step into the unknown (well, not so unknown) and have a chat with Avondale and see if he likes what they do as per pre-amps (their own) or mods to existing Naim pre-amps...Be aware though, that it's something that Naim don't look too kindly upon....but it's your friends ears, and his money....

As PB said, just listen to as many options as possible...

82 and that £1400 rega cd plyer. With proac he could go that rega cd player and the sugden 21se. If he has 135'she must have an hicap too so his trade in/ 2nd hand sale would be good.

He could even get speaker cable that bends anda remote if he went sugden

simont wrote:

82 and that £1400 rega cd plyer. With proac he could go that rega cd player and the sugden 21se. If he has 135'she must have an hicap too so his trade in/ 2nd hand sale would be good.

:sick:Sugden remotes are not the brand's best feature. :nup:

meninblack wrote:

simont wrote:

Having issues? :D

as someone who jumped off the naim upgrade ladder a while back i'd heartily suggest chopping in the amps before the speakers - or preferably all of them and getting some properly synergistic kit.

the problem with naim is that you're always wondering what the next step up the ladder sounds like whether it be a psu or an amp. either bite the bullet and get a full 500 system, be happy with what you have or ditch the naim stuff and get something else...

my 2.5p

p.s. this isn;t meant as a naim bashing tolltastic post - some of the advice is dangerously close to how i went from a cd5 / nait 5 to a cd5/hi/82/hi/hi/250 in the space of 18 months. lost a bundle on that for very little improvement.

meninblack wrote:

simont wrote:

I imagine them better than the naim 62 even on a bad day. Great insight tho