Sign in to follow this  
kl122002

Upgrading Linn T-Kable, need advice

Hello, 
I bought a used but well cared Linn EKOS tonearm and ts way to my place. It comes a a old Linn tonearm cable but it is a bit too old. My LP12 comes in Majik spec with Pro-ject 9cc tonearm and a Majik grade(?) tonearm cable that with a sliver Linn DIN connector. I will sell my Project tonearm later and now I am thinking whether I should replace the  cable. 

I have read lots of infos about the Linn's T-Kable. And it seems it has changed a lot during these past few years, saying from "old" black to silver (during Aikito 2B era?) and now the latest is  a new "black" Neglex (Mogami) 2549 , right?  How is the latest one T-Kable actually? Does it share same structure as the one  (Majik) I am having?  Should I upgrade mine ? 

Thanks, 

If you don't have the T-Kable, or a very early version, it would certainly be an upgrade going for the one currently supplied with the Akito tonearm. Diehard tunedemmers find it better than the current black Mogami cable.

What makes the  black Mogami cable get bed? It is not cheap as far as I know. And I suppose  Linn won't make their things go into this way? 

And who made the Akito cable ? Linn themselves or Linn asking other parties for help ?  The Akito cable seems getting uncommon these days in ebay and price is getting a bit too high IMO. Another other alternatives? 

Others with more knowledge than I will know whether the T-Kables are the same for all recent Linn arms. If they are, upgrades to either Urika will free up a long T-Kable, so dealers may well have second hand spares. For sure, from my upgrade last week, my dealer has mine.

David

The original dealer in my place has gone and merged. I wish a new distributor could come soon but it has been years already. 
Urikea sounds nice and it is my ultimate goal . While now I just want to know whether I should replace my cable with Linn's T-cable or other brands . 

Get a T-Kable. A used one should be as good as new. I've sold two of them recently. The one that came with my Ekos SE was sold as used but was brand new. They are out there. It should be no problem for a dealer to mail you one.

To be fair, with the upgrade from the 9 cc  to the Ekos , I don't think the variant of T cable is going to be a big issue :D

Edited by Smokestack
  • Upvote 2

There is some confusion here.  There have only ever been two T.Kables (although there have been variations in connectors).  The original T.Kable was a light grey cable which I believe is supposed to be the same internal construction as Linn Silver interconnects but with a softer jacket to work better with the LP12 suspension.  It initially had the SME black metal DIN plug to the tonearm and Linn Silver RCAs on the other end.  That same wire was eventually upgraded with a new Linn aluminum housed DIN plug that went through a couple of early variations in thickness before the final version came out, as currently used on all Linn arm cables.  I was not able to listen to otherwise identical arm cables with only that plug as different to be sure it was better but it does seem to grip the pins better.  Then Linn changed the T.Kable to the current Mogami wired version and made an XLR connector option available.  RCAs are still the Linn Silver ones and the DIN plug is the same Linn version.  At that time the Akito 3 arm cable became the original T.Kable and can still be ordered separately.  I and several others find the older version to be more tuneful, others prefer the newer version.  The cable on the ProJect 9cc and Majik tonearms is the Linn Black interconnect and RCA connectors with the Linn aluminum DIN plug on the arm end.

So the current arm cables from Linn are:

T.Kable using Mogami wire and either Linn Silver RCAs or Neutrik XLRs.

Akito3 cable which is the same as original T.Kable with the light grey insulation with Linn Silver RCAs.

Majik arm cable with Linn Black interconnect and RCAs.

All three using the same Linn aluminum DIN plug for the arm.

The Akito cable is significantly more musical than the Majik arm cable.  I haven't done the A/B but would suspect that the Mogami T.Kable should also easily outperform the Majiuk arm cable.  However, as Smokestack stated, the arm cable is going to be a much smaller change than the upgrade from 9cc to Ekos.  But since you need to have the new arm mounted anyway it is certainly not a bad time to address the cable too.

Many thanks for your details . I know Mogami  T.Kable  should be easy to get, but where I can get the Akito3 's ? Is there any online shop you would recommend ? 
And for the Majik tonearm cable, who made them ? By Linn themselves or like T-Kable that made by Mogami ? So far I don't have much complain to this cable while , of course, a better one is much preferred. :D

Are you located in the UK? Here maybe? https://lp12bits.com/products/linn-t-kable-preowned-ref-000943

• Upvote 1

Technically, Linn don't make any of their cables, neither interconnect nor speaker.  They also don't make their own cartridges.  However, Linn design their own cartridges which are manufactured by others to their specs.  In cables Linn researches cables, and in some cases designs what they want, and then has them made to their specs.  The Mogami is an exception in being a stock cable Linn uses in making their T.Kable.  Of course, it may be that one or more of the other cables is a stock wire but they are made for Linn with the Linn name printed or embossed on them.  Linn brings in the wire in rolls and I believe the cable assemblies are then made at Linn using RCAs, and arm DINs made for Linn.  They did change the XLR connectors a while back to stock Neutriks so they do use stock items here and there.  

The Majik arm cable is Linn Black interconnect wire (labeled Linn) with made for Linn Black RCAs and the Linn DIN, which is also custom made by or for them to their design and has the Linn logo on it.

Any Linn dealer can order you any of those cables, Majik tonearm, Akito tonearm (old T.Kable) or new T.Kable.  In the US the prices aren't all that different with all of them being between about $370 and $460.  Indeed the price of the Majik cable and the Akito cable are close enough ($370 vs. $400) that I have to wonder why both are made?

• Like 2

It has to be said that, in material terms,  they're all stupid money and overpriced .   But they get way with it because we think they sound better.

• Like 1

I have my Ekos arm installed this morning and tried with my current Majik cable. The EKOS headshell is small so I put on the long forgotten Adikt to give a try. This setting have surprised me a lot.  The sound stage is clear and stable , obviously quieter background and the sound getting more open space with this EKOS. The overall is very pleasant and enjoyable . 

Thank you THomasOK again for your very detailed information and other suggestions.   I am from Hong Kong and I know some people are using Linn as well here. I will look for them and see if they have any spare T-Kable (Mogam) to give a try. 

12 hours ago, Smokestack said:

It has to be said that, in material terms,  they're all stupid money and overpriced .   But they get way with it because we think they sound better.

I can accept this.  But not near as overpriced as any number of other cables on the market!

• Upvote 3

Sign in to follow this