Denafrips

TheFlash

Super Wammer

I don’t have one but, you know, maybe one day and all that: I’m a sucker for a positive review and unless I’m mistaken there is both ownership and interest amongst wammers:

Owners: @beermaniac, @Batty, @Friendly ?

At least passing interest: @newlash09, @ChemMan, @Nativebon ?

Do share.

Edited by TheFlash
  • Like 1

@TheFlash apparently the Denafrips DACs have all sold out in all models. If true could take long time to get one in hand. Still got my interest on this one. Just curious if you looking to get one yourself.

Edited by Nativebon
Info

Super Wammer

I would love to hear one. A wammer, who should be along shortly, who bought one recently mentioned it and I looked up the reviews. I had no idea there was any way of doing digital to analogue conversion without a chip! :roll: I’m therefore intrigued sonically and technically and the prices seem ridiculously good.

Pity about the stock situation. I wonder whether that is purely down to huge global demand.

Loving my Ares II more each time I listen, finally got the Yammie streamer working through it, wow, much better than the Squeezebox touch.

• Like 1

I own up, it was me that mentioned to Nigel that I've just purchased an Ares ii.

Am I pleased Oh yes! The internet buzz was not for nothing. It replaced my  Jolida dac. On first switching on it was. Just a little better, better bass extension, better treble and slightly more image depth but narrower image width. So an improvement but not earth shattering.

I was warned it needed a 100 hour burn in and it would continue to improve for a further 200 hours. This from Alvin at Vinshine Audio whom i purchased it from, a very nice chap who replied to all my questions very promptly.

Now after a weeks burn in the dac has transformed, bass no BASS. It has introduced itself to my 15" bass drivers and they are having so much fun together it's ridiculous. I run open baffle speakers and purchased a second pair of bass units to do a rebuild, I don't know if they're needed now. Imaging has opened up in width as well as depth, it's the depth that surprises me, never had it in digital replay. Last but not least that intangible that makes a product stand out but is hard putting into words. Track after track is being presented in a way that I've not heard before. The jaw dropping moment was when I played Simon and Garfunkel 'Scarborough Fair' been loving this for over thirty years, well I wasn't prepared for the incredible separation of their voices, the harmonics between them both brought a tear to my eye.

If your thinking of buying one they come delivered to uk for £700 ( mine was £682, slight variations due to Singapore dollar exchange rate. I believe waiting time is now 8 weeks.

Im so impressed that my eyes are now wandering to the other Chinese product that's taking the internet by storm (I want one just for the name) a Kinki Studios M1 integrated amp that's 2k and killing anything below 5k.

Life isn't fair, Kinki is the designers wife's name, I would never tire of asking her what would make her happy 😄

Edited by Friendly
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 3

I too am intrigued by denafrips .... Darko reviewed their top of the range Terminator DAC ... Worth a watch.
Would love to hear one.

Sent from my BND-L21 using Tapatalk

Any idea of the difference between the original and the Ares ii

Just the USB implementation.

My mate called round today and was muttering about his bank balance xD we played a selection of tracks we have listened to for years and he kept saying "where did that come from,I've never heard that before". Nick Cave,Red right hand blew him away.

By the way it's definitely still burning in and improving.

• Like 1

Super Dealer

No duty, the dac ships to Germany and then on to U.K. 

So for the last two weeks I have been trying to get an Allo Digione Signature up and running with this dac :grrr:. It's been a close run thing between the bin or the hammer. Today I finally got software to work MoOde player....Bloody Hell!

This combination does everything it did before but with more of everything, soundstage width and depth has increased and foot tapping has turned to dancing :D

May have to change my name to 'The VERY Happy Bunny'

Super Wammer
5 hours ago, PuritéAudio said:

You've saved me looking up the Amir review, Keith, thanks. I was fully expecting it would be one of those which measures poorly but by reputation sounds rather nice; but here we have a positive review by Amir standards.

What's the difference between "Pretty decent" and "Pretty decent for an R2R"? Are R2R's generally thought to be inferior to other breeds? Livin' and learnin'...

3 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

You've saved me looking up the Amir review, Keith, thanks. I was fully expecting it would be one of those which measures poorly but by reputation sounds rather nice; but here we have a positive review by Amir standards.

What's the difference between "Pretty decent" and "Pretty decent for an R2R"? Are R2R's generally thought to be inferior to other breeds? Livin' and learnin'...

R-2R is very difficult to accomplish well, as it requires extreme accuracy of component values. I know a couple of people who have built them, but only on an amateur basis because of the time involved. AFAIK a few commercial manufacturers have tried but gave up because of issues with component matching.

I'd be very interested to hear one of these. Technically R-2R should be capable of eliminating a lot of issues with more complex topologies.

• Like 2

Super Wammer

Gwyn @Friendly: are you receiving? Are you coming to Kegworth? Might you bring you Denafrips Ares II along? I'd be prepared to accommodate you both in my Posselt-and-probably-Sugden system for all or part of the day...

Just putting it out there!

• Like 1

Oh Nigel you tempter B|

Never been to Kegworth and have been meaning to go for years, I also have a number of friends from Lenco Heaven going along.  Will have to look at the logistics and get back to you. Thanks for the very kind offer mate.

• Like 1

• oldius changed the title to Denafrips