Recommended Posts

Super Wammer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, bencat said:

Just spotted this in case anyone is interested and not seen it .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Denafrips-Ares-ii-DAC/283918986074?hash=item421ae3eb5a:g:XxMAAOSwfHZe67E9

But they are only £750 new?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kawasaki kr1s said:

Similar story with the the other RME

haggle hard and get a brand new one for £800 delivered.
 

I don't understand it, if buying used then there is no VAT. presume no warranty? I would want at least 30% off the new price buying used on fleabay.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
9 hours ago, bencat said:

Just spotted this in case anyone is interested and not seen it .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Denafrips-Ares-ii-DAC/283918986074?hash=item421ae3eb5a:g:XxMAAOSwfHZe67E9

5 hours ago, BeeRay said:

I don't understand it, if buying used then there is no VAT. presume no warranty? I would want at least 30% off the new price buying used on fleabay.

Your pricing is not far off but VAT is a distraction. I know where you're coming from of course, but the retail value of a thing is primarily the value to the customer - who usually cares more about the number of pounds out of their bank account than how many of those pounds go the the Treasury.  Market prices are based on demand as well as costs.

I paid £550 for my used Ares II and was delighted to save 200 of my own pounds. That's oly 26% apparently but it will do nicely.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
On 26/06/2020 at 17:26, BeeRay said:

I don't understand it, if buying used then there is no VAT. presume no warranty? I would want at least 30% off the new price buying used on fleabay.

But someone has paid the vat and so you cannot just discount it. 
 

Also, many mainstream manufacturers will transfer warranty to a new owner. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Fourlegs said:

But someone has paid the vat and so you cannot just discount it. 
 

Also, many mainstream manufacturers will transfer warranty to a new owner. 

The warranty is an interesting point, is it transferred, some manufacturers don’t allow transfers? It is 3 years which is good but if you don’t buy it from a retailer then presumably you would have to send it to China at your own expense for any warranty work? If you buy it from a dealer then they would take care of that. There maybe problems with tax and duty when it returns to the UK. 

So do you think £50 off the retail price of £750 on an auction site for a used item is reasonable?

Edited by BeeRay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
17 minutes ago, BeeRay said:

So do you think £50 off the retail price of £750 on an auction site for a used item is reasonable?

No, but then it is a free world and anyone is free to advertise at whatever price they see fit. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Fourlegs said:

No, but then it is a free world and anyone is free to advertise at whatever price they see fit. :D

Yes that’s true but it’s worth checking prices, I noticed yesterday a Node 2i on eBay which is new was £650 which is well over the RRP, there is another one for £625. Why anyone would buy those is beyond my comprehension. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
Posted (edited)

Sorry it was just a link , look at it or not , consider it or not this was not  me saying buy it . There is another on e-bay that is quite a bit more and saying you are not able to get this unit in the UK . Just trying to be helpful in case as has happened someone is looking and the UK Dealer has none in stock .

My own view is yes this is a bit too much to ask fr a used product but as has been pinted the seller can ask what they want no one is forced to buy at that price .

Still no return of my Denafrips Pro-8 Mk1 nor any confirmation that it has been sent . Hopefull that it has and should get it one day next week then a whole new game of hurt will apply in taking everything apart in order to accomodate the Denafrips . Should at least keep me busy and stop adding in links that seem to cause such upset .

Edited by bencat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
5 hours ago, bencat said:

Sorry it was just a link , look at it or not , consider it or not this was not  me saying buy it . There is another on e-bay that is quite a bit more and saying you are not able to get this unit in the UK . Just trying to be helpful in case as has happened someone is looking and the UK Dealer has none in stock .

My own view is yes this is a bit too much to ask fr a used product but as has been pinted the seller can ask what they want no one is forced to buy at that price .

Still no return of my Denafrips Pro-8 Mk1 nor any confirmation that it has been sent . Hopefull that it has and should get it one day next week then a whole new game of hurt will apply in taking everything apart in order to accomodate the Denafrips . Should at least keep me busy and stop adding in links that seem to cause such upset .

No upset was caused. Just confusion as to how the F anyone advertising something at so much over list thinks they will get a bite.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer

Well my repaired DAC will arrive today between 09.14 - 10.14 but I have to go out so there will be probably no chance today to get it in to my system and hear what it sounds like. Ah well waited this long another day is not going to make that much of a difference .

With luck will be able to get things in settled and have a good listening session before the weekend . Wednesday will be mostly taken up with putting the Denafrips in and then doing a full set of new DIRAC Live sessions and loading them in . The desire to cut corners and do a slap dash session is very strong but I think I will resist it and get out the tape measure and markers and do all three sessions the way they should be. It will be hard not to just go for it but I think being a little more patient and mehtodical will give me the best results .

I may be gone some time .......:minikev:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer

Well too confirm the Denafrips Pro 8 has returned and was able to dismantle the rack and fit everything back together . Not had time to do any Dirac work so just sitting there at the moment. Have also decided as the Denafrips has balanced out and the XTZ power amp has balanced inputs to directly connect the DAC balanced and use my MiniDSP DDRC 22D as the digital pre and volume control . This will mean a delay and given other things I am having to do probably Friday before I can get things fully in place and then listen . Would normally be frustrating but I have had so many changes and so long to wait for the repair I am quite calm about it . Will chill til Friday and then get everything done in the morning (hopefully) and that gives me a nice afternoon to listen to the results.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer

Okay well tomorrow will be the big day despite having deconstruced and reassembled the rack and fitting the DEnafrips Pro 8 back in to the system I have yet to turn it on as the full change including a slight placement change for the Quad ESL57 means I have to do  a complete DIRAC Live session and over the last few days for various reasons this has just not been possible.

My wife Linda has swapped her normal Tuesday work day for Friday this week so after about 08.30 I will be left alone . This is perfect as I need quiet to complete the DIRAC session no sudden vacuum cleaner noises or Linda bursting in to song . I have a few options of either using a pre amp with unbalanced connections which in this case wil be a Myrad . Or something I have never used before which is a balanced connection . The Denafrips has balanced analogue outputs and I can use the the MiniDSP DDRC 22D as a digital pre with volume control . I am going to leave it to how I feel in the morning as to which I decide to go for but whatever happens if I can get it to work then there will be music again in the music room and hopefully if all goes as I hope I can have an afternoon of listening and probably reading Hif Fi magazines as a gentle Friday gearing up for what may well be a hectic Saturday with my first visit to a Pub in what feels like a very long time .

Provided I live through the Saturday I may well report back on this and let you know what i think of the Denafrips DAC .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
On 02/07/2020 at 23:04, bencat said:

Provided I live through the Saturday I may well report back on this and let you know what i think of the Denafrips DAC

Did you?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.