Denafrips

TheFlash

Be interested to hear your findings

I have the Iris, so impressed I ordered the Hermes (currently in transit).

Only thing, I likely won't be needing of them either any more as now using combined streamer / DAC. 

30 minutes ago, beermaniac said:

Interesting... which combined unit are you using if you dont me asking !? emoji6.png

Believe it or not, the new Mac Mini M1 (headphone jack to integrated amp)...as per my profile ;-)

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/01/2021 at 18:28, Getgaff said:

The Denafrips Hermes DDC has arrived, first in the country I believe, and took all of 2 days to ship from Singapore to Essex; I can’t send a first class letter to the next town over in that time! Did get clobbered for a custom charge and fees as expected, but nothing horrendous.

Initial impressions are good, had to set the Pontus II I2S pin configuration to the PS Audio standard to overcome the left/right channel swap over restored the I2S config. back to the Denafrips standard and all is fine. Not sure why the channels swapped over, perhaps I’d inadvertently screwed something up in the settings.

The aim is to see if this is a worthy replacement to my Innuos Phoenix. The Hermes certainly beats it hands down in terms of connectivity and price and if the SQ is close, then bye bye Phoenix.

Did you come to any conclusions as to Hermes vs Phoenix ?

Not yet, still deciding which is best.

• Upvote 1

Does anyone know what the differences between the Hermes and Gaia are?, apart from casing and colour options, specs look the same

Just pulled the trigger on a Gaia

On 15/02/2021 at 14:21, daveyu said:

Does anyone know what the differences between the Hermes and Gaia are?, apart from casing and colour options, specs look the same

Slightly better specced clock in the Gaia, although the Hermes clock is already very good.

• Upvote 1

...I'm still trying to decide between Mac mini's own DAC, Mac mini -> Qutest (USB) or Mac mini -> Hermes (Optical or SPDIF) -> Qutest

If value for money were the main consideration, the first option would be a no-brainer. Very similar sounding but the cost doubles with each added unit + cable. 

I will revisit the comparision after upgrading speaker cables and interconnects.

Edited by Heckyman

I keep reading similar remarks about the audio/usb audio quality of the new M1 Macs. Dac manufacturers watch out!

Good evening fellow music lovers. A bit difficult question to ask considering these aren’t widely available but I’ll try anyway.

Has anybody had a chance to compare all 4 models available in the U.K. and how they differ?

I’ve recently acquired new amp that has only balanced inputs and also Node 2i to fulfil steaming duties (NAS and phones) and am looking for a DAC. 

As you can imagine, I’ve done a lot of reading and kind of narrowed it down to Luxman DA-06 and Hegel HD30 until I came across the world of R2R DACs, which eventually brought me here as am liking what I’ve read so far about these DACs. 

Budget could, in theory, stretch to Terminator but considering that most of my listening would be provided by vinyl, it might be an overkill. Hence the question above.

Thank you and please feel free to point me to an existing topic about this. 

Edited by hexx