20 hours ago, hexx said:

Good evening fellow music lovers. A bit difficult question to ask considering these aren’t widely available but I’ll try anyway.

Has anybody had a chance to compare all 4 models available in the U.K. and how they differ?

I’ve recently acquired new amp that has only balanced inputs and also Node 2i to fulfil steaming duties (NAS and phones) and am looking for a DAC. 

As you can imagine, I’ve done a lot of reading and kind of narrowed it down to Luxman DA-06 and Hegel HD30 until I came across the world of R2R DACs, which eventually brought me here as am liking what I’ve read so far about these DACs. 

Budget could, in theory, stretch to Terminator but considering that most of my listening would be provided by vinyl, it might be an overkill. Hence the question above.

Thank you and please feel free to point me to an existing topic about this. 

Lots of YouTube reviews, all seem to offer improvements going up the range, I would say that maybe the Pontus is the sweet spot

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello guys, 1st post on the forum! I am Alvin, owner of Vinshine Audio. Re: Background noise of the Node2i with Ares II DAC. A customer shared this with me, i hope this fixes the issue! N

I own up, it was me that mentioned to Nigel that I've just purchased an Ares ii. Am I pleased Oh yes! The internet buzz was not for nothing. It replaced my  Jolida dac. On first switching on it w

Finally, the Terminator II arriveth! A real ordeal getting this delivered with UPS... Anyway, from the testimonies of others it's clear that there's a very notable burn-in period with these big D

Posted Images

46 minutes ago, daveyu said:

Lots of YouTube reviews, all seem to offer improvements going up the range, I would say that maybe the Pontus is the sweet spot

Thank you very much, will keep an eye on this thread - just got “trigger happy” and bought Hegel HD30. 

On 11/12/2020 at 22:13, Nostalghia said:

Hey guys, Just got an Aries II a couple days ago. Happy to be part of the club. Overall, I'm really impressed. huge improvement with imaging in my system. The sound stage really opened up.

I had a few observations within my setup. Wondering if anyone here had similar experiences or has a similar setup. My setup consists of a vintage Mcintosh MC 2002 power amp & a MA 6100 Preamp. The Aries connects into my pre amp & is taking a digital signal from a Bluesound Node 2i. My speakers are Harbeth Monitor 30.1's. Here is what I have noticed from listening for the past couple days:

The improvements couldn't be more apparent. When I was using the DAC in the Node 2i for lack of a better explanation everything just sounded a lot more 2 dimensional. Introduced the Aries & all of a sudden my digital music effortlessly fills the room. The two drawbacks I am noticing are that my background has got less dark, there is more noise behind the music & I am feeling a little more fatigued after long listening sessions. Without going on for too long about interconnects, power cables & conditioners, I have gone with all middle of the road Audioquest interconnects & Power cables. I have a relatively cheap Chinese power conditioner (To be honest I couldn't say the thing makes an audible difference) The Aries connects to the Node 2i with a Audioquest "Carbon" Coax cable. I am inclined to experiment with this. I've heard people describe the cable as harsh. Still not sure what could be causing the additional background noise?

Would love to hear your thoughts & opinions. 

Hi...this background noise ?  What settings do you have the dac on ?    No noise with the Ares 2 that I experienced.  It's a fine dac imo & believe that if it was in a block of aluminium it would be 2k+ ?   

I think the dac operates best on OS slow filter. It's very easy on the ear & should not be fatiguing.    Hope this helps.

Edited by garn63

Hello guys,

1st post on the forum! I am Alvin, owner of Vinshine Audio.

Re: Background noise of the Node2i with Ares II DAC. A customer shared this with me, i hope this fixes the issue!

Node 2i has static Thru Coaxial Output
Has your BluOS been updated to 3.10.3? If so try going to Settings > Player > Audio and then disable 'Audio Clock Trim’ .

— After disabling the Audio Clock Trim on the Node 2i the static appears to be totally gone

• Like 6
On 23/02/2021 at 18:41, hexx said:

Good evening fellow music lovers. A bit difficult question to ask considering these aren’t widely available but I’ll try anyway.

Has anybody had a chance to compare all 4 models available in the U.K. and how they differ?

I’ve recently acquired new amp that has only balanced inputs and also Node 2i to fulfil steaming duties (NAS and phones) and am looking for a DAC. 

As you can imagine, I’ve done a lot of reading and kind of narrowed it down to Luxman DA-06 and Hegel HD30 until I came across the world of R2R DACs, which eventually brought me here as am liking what I’ve read so far about these DACs. 

Budget could, in theory, stretch to Terminator but considering that most of my listening would be provided by vinyl, it might be an overkill. Hence the question above.

Thank you and please feel free to point me to an existing topic about this. 

You could try the Musician Pegasus R-2R, I have had one for nearly 2 weeks, it is superb.

3 hours ago, Firebottle said:

You could try the Musician Pegasus R-2R, I have had one for nearly 2 weeks, it is superb.

Thank you, will add to the list of possible future models to try. Decided to go with Hegel HD30 at this moment (received last Friday). 

I haven't heard any yet, but like you, very interested.  Currently own the Luxman DA06, so will home demo the Terminator probably some time in April, once Musicraft are ready.

Mac

• Like 1
On 28/02/2021 at 02:54, Vinshine Audio said:

Hello guys,

Re: Background noise of the Node2i with Ares II DAC. A customer shared this with me, i hope this fixes the issue!

Has your BluOS been updated to 3.10.3? If so try going to Settings > Player > Audio and then disable 'Audio Clock Trim’ .

— After disabling the Audio Clock Trim on the Node 2i the static appears to be totally gone

Welcome Alvin, good to have you on board

• Like 1

Review of Gaia 

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/02/2021 at 02:54, Vinshine Audio said:

Hello guys,

Hi,

is that only an Aries problem or also with Venus? And has anyone tried which pre-amps work well with the Venus? 

• 3 weeks later...
On 21/03/2021 at 17:30, Musicraft said:

Well if the new Terminator II DAC is builds on the qualities of the Ares II then it'll be worth the wait.

Currently got the Ares II paired with a dCS Network Bridge. The sound has superb depth, body, richness and dynamics. All in all a very 'analogue' presentation. I swear this pairing sounds very much like an R2R tape deck :) An R2R ladder DAC sounding like an R2R tape deck :cool:

I'll be back :^

The II variant of the Terminator looks to have a really significant number of uplifts from the 2020 Terminator model

I put my order in for one with Vinshine mid-Feb, and whilst I wasn't so happy to see the delivery date keep moving to the right I was delighted to see more and more features and components revealed as the 'trickle down' from the much more expensive T+.

Fast forward to today - just received my UPS shipping notice from China that the TII is finally on it's way here. Could not be more excited :)

I'll post my impressions in the next 1-2 weeks once the unit has arrived and had a little burn-in time for any others interested :^

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
On 08/04/2021 at 12:43, Todcakes said:

The II variant of the Terminator looks to have a really significant number of uplifts from the 2020 Terminator model

I put my order in for one with Vinshine mid-Feb, and whilst I wasn't so happy to see the delivery date keep moving to the right I was delighted to see more and more features and components revealed as the 'trickle down' from the much more expensive T+.

Fast forward to today - just received my UPS shipping notice from China that the TII is finally on it's way here. Could not be more excited :)

I'll post my impressions in the next 1-2 weeks once the unit has arrived and had a little burn-in time for any others interested :^

I definitely will be interested.

Mac

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
On 23/04/2021 at 23:30, Musicraft said:

We’ve just received our Pontus II DAC and Terminator II DAC B| Pontus II is built like a tank.

Iris DDC and Gaia DDC should be with us soon :)

Hi @Musicraft - Have you had chance to hook up the TII yet?

Mine has been stuck in a UPS warehouse in the UK for 16 days, which is exceedingly frustrating (and their customer service has been worse than useless in providing any meaningful information...)

Speaking to another forum member who received his TII in the US he told told of huge sonic changes over the first 48 hours of being operated - basically from semi disappointment to elation as the days went by. He's now on vacation but has left the DAC on and will hopefully update me on further changes as the TII reaches a week of use. Exciting times.....

• 2 weeks later...

Disappointingly, I've heard today from Musicraft that they won't be able to assist me any further with Denaphrips and couldn't enlarge on it at the moment.

As far as I knew, they had the DAC's in and were assessing them before sending out for home trial, so I wouldn't like to speculate at what the problem is.

Mac

• Sad 1