Denafrips

TheFlash

Finally, the Terminator II arriveth! A real ordeal getting this delivered with UPS...

Anyway, from the testimonies of others it's clear that there's a very notable burn-in period with these big Denafrips units. Alvin Chee suggests at least 10 days until critical listening whilst the huge power supplies, capacitors and tons of resistor chips adapt to current flowing through them. I'm not that patient to leave this thing running without listening. Let's just say after 30 hours it's a journey of ups and occasional downs so far, but certainly one heading in the right direction :)

Avoiding the temptation to report on what is an unstable sound right now but will certainly post in the coming days for those interested in this DAC.

IMG_2222.jpg

• Like 5

That's a real shame @whitehart

I can't offer you a home trial but once we're allowed to do so you're more than welcome to pop over to my part of the world and hear a TII in my setting, should that be the unit you were interested in. I took a gamble on buying without hearing mine, but so far from what I've heard this early on I'm confident that it is going to be a huge step up from my previous ESS chip based DAC (Auralic Vega G1).

Regards, John

8 hours ago, Todcakes said:

That's a real shame @whitehart

I can't offer you a home trial but once we're allowed to do so you're more than welcome to pop over to my part of the world and hear a TII in my setting, should that be the unit you were interested in. I took a gamble on buying without hearing mine, but so far from what I've heard this early on I'm confident that it is going to be a huge step up from my previous ESS chip based DAC (Auralic Vega G1).

Regards, John

Hi John,

Yes, if not a little baffling... still I'm sure all will be revealed in time.

Thanks for the kind offer, whereabouts are you?

Mac

Hi Mac - Sadly I think I'm quite some distance away from you: Todmorden in the Calder Valley (about 18 miles NE of Manchester). 

If you do however find yourself up this part of the world then I'd be more than happy to host you and to have a listen.

Regards, John 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Todcakes said:

Hi Mac - Sadly I think I'm quite some distance away from you: Todmorden in the Calder Valley (about 18 miles NE of Manchester). 

If you do however find yourself up this part of the world then I'd be more than happy to host you and to have a listen.

Regards, John 

Ah yes, I'm down on the south coast, thanks again anyway.

Keep us posted on your thoughts on the DAC.

Mac

On 07/05/2021 at 14:29, Todcakes said:

Regards, John 

Glad you got the DAC (finally) and looking forward to your updates. 

Do you also have a Denafrips DDC to try the clock out from the T2? I know Todmorden a bit, sometimes go for walks in Hardcastle crags. 

• 1 month later...

Selling my Gaia in ads section if anyone interested

• 2 weeks later...

Appreciate that this very likely to go up in price by the time the auction ends but at least the starting price is sensible .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203498574577?hash=item2f6175d2f1:g:5xUAAOSwjaJgzdms

• Like 1

On 06/05/2021 at 23:12, Todcakes said:

Finally, the Terminator II arriveth! A real ordeal getting this delivered with UPS...

Anyway, from the testimonies of others it's clear that there's a very notable burn-in period with these big Denafrips units. Alvin Chee suggests at least 10 days until critical listening whilst the huge power supplies, capacitors and tons of resistor chips adapt to current flowing through them. I'm not that patient to leave this thing running without listening. Let's just say after 30 hours it's a journey of ups and occasional downs so far, but certainly one heading in the right direction :)

Avoiding the temptation to report on what is an unstable sound right now but will certainly post in the coming days for those interested in this DAC.

IMG_2222.jpg

That's a fine looking beast.

• 3 weeks later...

Really good Aries 2 review here. Generally glowing but with a couple of interesting observations about the filters.

• Like 1

On 13/07/2021 at 18:50, Warszawa said:

Really good Aries 2 review here. Generally glowing but with a couple of interesting observations about the filters.

Thanks for posting that, I generally aren’t interested in DACs but this one had piqued my interest as one that might at least sound different enough to try.  It’s the 1st I’ve seen mention the length of the input buffer, which rules it out for me because I have the optical out from my tv go through my system.

Well, well, well......

I got to hear a Denfrips T+ and a Jays CDT 2 last weekend in a brilliant system with an amazing CD front end. It was an enjoyable 2 days and at the end of it all we were aware of the burn in process but had the front end singing for a nice long session. And it saw off the resident front end. That was a surprise as it is an excellent and very expensive one.

The gap was not small.

I therefore need to get a set here and I am trying that now. And if it did what I have already heard then there could be some  changes here. Yes, the Audionote CD4T and DAC 4.1x are now under threat!!!!

4 minutes ago, George 47 said:

Well, well, well......

I got to hear a Denfrips T+ and a Jays CDT 2 last weekend in a brilliant system with an amazing CD front end. It was an enjoyable 2 days and at the end of it all we were aware of the burn in process but had the front end singing for a nice long session. And it saw off the resident front end. That was a surprise as it is an excellent and very expensive one.

The gap was not small.

I therefore need to get a set here and I am trying that now. And if it did what I have already heard then there could be some  changes here. Yes, the Audionote CD4T and DAC 4.1x are now under threat!!!!

Very interesting. A number of people whose opinion i respect like the T+ , and now you. . . 🤪👍

The pairing of the Denafrips T+ and Jays will be here in a few weeks.  And then 2/3 weeks burn in.....should be a good August...