Ganders

FS World Audio Design Kat6550 Power Amp

Extremely reluctant sale this, but divorce etc has done for my finances so am downsizing to a cheaper amp, currently trying a Quad 306 which is decent but not a patch on this.

Power amp with an added pot so can run as a single input integrated too, I recall it being a Noble pot from when I bought it a few years ago but I could be wrong, I needed more than 1 input so I always used a pre with it.Very heavily upgraded from stock by its builder who I bought it off, Blackgates,Teflons and lots of other stuff I don't really understand but you can see in the pics.

I'm currently running Gold Lion KT88's in it with Nos Philips ECF80's and some Nos rectifiers too.The amp also comes with the Svetlana 'Winged C' 6550's and Nos Telefunken ECF80's that were in it when I bought it, these all work great, and there's some other rectifiers to play with too, Nos Rca ones I think and another pair also.Can't say I ever noticed any difference between the ECF80's, or the rectifiers either come to think on it, and whilst I do hear a difference switching from 6550's to KT88's I can never decide which I prefer so I've tended to change back and forth every 6 months or so!

This is hands down the best amp I've ever had, and the longest I've owned the same one for too.It runs my 15' Tannoys brilliantly, never once putting a foot wrong or sounding strained, and I'll be truly sad to see it go.Considering the amount of upgrades it's had, and all the extra tubes included, and as it's far too heavy and fragile to post, I'm asking £800 collected from Trowbridge, Wiltshire.

Pics below showing the guts of an unmodified amp, then the guts of mine, and a couple of the outside of mine too:478985382_PastedGraphic1.jpg.b56bcdddc015fdc3e673297763e0d918.jpg

6550 Amp 5 copy.jpg

IMG_0143.jpeg

IMG_0144.jpeg

I've owned the integrated version of this, KiT6550, for the last 15 years and it's been a faultless and very reliable amp. It's never put a foot wrong musically either and also had all the original mods of the day from being built. It drove 15" Tannoys, large and small Proac's and, before me, big ESL's too. Good luck with the sale. A very versatile, gutsy and great sounding valve amp.

:Bump:

Offers invited folks, also interested in a swap plus cash deal involving another power amp if anyone’s after an upgrade, or a switch to valves perhaps.

I need a few quid my way but also an amp to replace this one so try me, you never know.Currently trying a Quad 405 which I like but doesn’t have the air and separation of this.Something digital could be interesting maybe........?

Having seen the shocking scam thread in the classifieds, 10% of this sale is going to the fund set up on said thread for Shaun (Kernow) to recover a little of his losses.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

If this could be shipped I would buy it in the blink of an eye,  but it's long journey from Leeds to Wiltshire... GLWTS

Weekend bump, still here and still shiny.

Amp's sat on my coffee table now and it's hard to resist rubbing the transformer covers........what is wrong with me?:nuts:

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Ganders said:

Weekend bump, still here and still shiny.

Amp's sat on my coffee table now and it's hard to resist rubbing the transformer covers........what is wrong with me?:nuts:

Rubbing with what O.o

• Haha 1

Price drop, £750 or nearest offer.

Up to the top again.....

Interested in a Tag McLaren 5x100?

Not boxed and silver facia

Currently using it in a two channel setup

3 hours ago, PWS said:

Interested in a Tag McLaren 5x100?

Not boxed and silver facia

Currently using it in a two channel setup

Sounds very interesting, drop me a pm with your thoughts:^