MartinC

'Bass Trap' panel tests

Posted (edited)

thanks for the rationale on pulling the traps out, makes sense.

Think I may be thinking of something slightly different than you tested with the shelves.

I'm thinking of just filling in the sides of the fireplace floor to ceiling with rockwool and then covering it with acoustic transparent fabric. I'm Not planning on putting any shelving in front of it.

I'll need to do some calculations, I'm not sure it's going to be deep enough on it's own, it's only 35cm deep, I might need to add a bit more or potentially make it tapered out.

Edited by Phobic

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Phobic said:

Think I may be thinking of something slightly different than you tested with the shelves.

I'm thinking of just filling in the sides of the fireplace floor to ceiling with rockwool and then covering it with acoustic transparent fabric. I'm Not planning on putting any shelving in front of it.

I was responding to what I think @tuga had in mind, rather than you :)

My main thought is to test out what you have in mind to see if it achieves what you want before doing anything permanent. As I showed just one example of yesterday, in my experience it's perfectly possible to make things worse as well as better. Note that although I've just shown measurements for my sub above I also check the response for may main speakers for each arrangement too. Absorption in the front left corner of my room helps the left speaker output around 100 Hz for example, but has a negative effect on the right speaker and subwoofer outputs. I wish this was more straightforward but at least for me it hasn't been.

Edited by MartinC
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Phobic said:

is it all pure guess work, trial & error then?

I'm sure a professional would say not. I'll bet they'd go from a mix of experience of similar rooms, simulation, measurements, and then a degree of trial and error to optimise.

It is though generally advised to focus on treating corners rather than the middle of walls for low bass absorption.

Ultimately all I can say is I've found experimentation beneficial for me.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MartinC said:

I'm sure a professional would say not. I'll bet they'd go from a mix of experience of similar rooms, simulation, measurements, and then a degree of trial and error to optimise.

It is though generally advised to focus on treating corners rather than the middle of walls for low bass absorption.

Ultimately all I can say is I've found experimentation beneficial for me.

It seems logical that experimentation would yield better results / increased effectiveness because as far as I know what is not able to introduce all variables into a model.

In that sense room correction is a bit like speaker design, it requires measurements in order to make necessary adjustments.

13 hours ago, MartinC said:

I was responding to what I think @tuga had in mind, rather than you :)

My main thought is to test out what you have in mind to see if it achieves what you want before doing anything permanent. As I showed just one example of yesterday, in my experience it's perfectly possible to make things worse as well as better. Note that although I've just shown measurements for my sub above I also check the response for may main speakers for each arrangement too. Absorption in the front left corner of my room helps the left speaker output around 100 Hz for example, but has a negative effect on the right speaker and subwoofer outputs. I wish this was more straightforward but at least for me it hasn't been.

Your example was helpful, even though I had thought of something slightly different.

What I had in mind was to have full depth absorption where this photo shows doors and a single layer of rock wool behing the shelves.

My chimney brest steps out around 350mm and I could have 150mm of rock wool with 200mm deep shelves, enough for most novels and even some larger books (and A4 sheet measures 297x210mm).

4257ffc2b11d556ae22669d155d15f88.jpg

On 05/10/2020 at 12:09, tuga said:

What I had in mind was to have full depth absorption where this photo shows doors and a single layer of rock wool behing the shelves.

I've been mulling this and your attached photo over and honestly I fear you could do all that and then find yourself wishing you'd not bothered and left things as they look now.

Do you have any specific concerns about the sound of your system that you're wanting to improve?

13 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I've been mulling this and your attached photo over and honestly I fear you could do all that and then find yourself wishing you'd not bothered and left things as they look now.

Do you have any specific concerns about the sound of your system that you're wanting to improve?

This is only a theoretical exercise at this point as I'm currently renting (the photo above was taken from the web).

There's always room for improvement in the way speakers interact with space below 300Hz.

My current sitting room is very small and I have no option regarding speaker placement but to push them into the corners. I EQ the peaks out and that's about all I can do.

QYiJXKS.png