robbie010

Clone Klipsch La Scala Build..... If you’re interested!

Posted (edited)

Have you slept-after spending countless hours listening? Or is work interfering with your listening time?

Stories of you pulling out old favourites and hearing new subtlties welcome!

Edited by Hornucopia
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Real interesting read Robbie.

could you guess at the total man hours effect you put in? out of interest if it's not too rude a question, what do you think you spent on the build?

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, Phobic said:

Real interesting read Robbie.

could you guess at the total man hours effect you put in? out of interest if it's not too rude a question, what do you think you spent on the build?

Huuum.... good question.

I spent a lot of time reading and planning the project before I started and there was quite a bit of waiting around for parts etc, but if you discount the prep-time, it probably took around 25 hours for the actual build over a 2 month period. The biggest issue was getting hold of the mid-range horns, which I wound up waiting 6 months for due to stock and shipping issues from Klipsch in the US, as well as the covid problem. Drivers and pretty much all the other parts and components are easilly come by on eBay, but the only other alternative for the mid-range is a tractrix horn, which I didn't want.

It is worth noting that I don't really have any woodworking skills per-se and was kind of learning along the way. If I was to do it again there are a few changes I may make but only minor things.

Total cost for the build is somewhere around the £900 mark, which I believe represents great value for money.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Amazing result you should be very proud of yourself :^

Great to see these finished! I hope to make a pair in the new year after following this thread!

• Like 1

Super Wammer
15 minutes ago, BettisDad said:

Great to see these finished! I hope to make a pair in the new year after following this thread!

Drop me a line with your email address if you want the plans I have etc. Happy to oblige. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Has the DCX unit arrived Simon 

Super Wammer

Exciting New Update!

After deciding to switch to an active setup I made some alterations and installed Hypex NCore plate amplifiers with onboard DSP. 

At the same time, I decided to front mount the mid-range horn which should properly time align the HF section.

851F3488-977C-41FC-ABF8-F66D38A1A17E.jpeg.85800895d56d37650e1d9f9a29d14945.jpeg

B0CC9674-553D-4027-A8D0-AB227277E612.jpeg.1433cb5caaa559b90776c7018a648288.jpeg

062C6789-E19D-4807-AA03-26E312FD6DC9.jpeg.2e9e7e8dce72f1ae4845abd8daddb66f.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

...and how does it sound now?

Super Wammer
3 minutes ago, Tony_J said:

:cafe: Not that we are impatient !

• Haha 1

Super Wammer
34 minutes ago, Tony_J said:

I have no idea yet, the second speaker should be done later this week and then I need to get to grips with the software side of things at weekend.

I am hoping that by Sunday I will be able to actually play some music through them........ updates to follow!

:nerves:

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Super Wammer

Good luck Robbie I hope that this improves the sound as you will now have greater control of crossover points and if the DSP allows it time alignment which I would guess will be really useful for this speaker. Your work all along has been really impressive , lets hope this last (for now ?) addition is the icing on the cake .

• Upvote 1