Sign in to follow this  
Weeman1973

Jelco Arm on LP12

Hi All,

I recently changed the arm on my LP12 from the Akito to a Jelco (Sa-375H which is same as Summiko MMT) and also had to change the armboard as the Jelco has a longer effective length (222mm as opposed to 211mm).

Anyway, I changed it all over last night but can't help thinking the new armboard isn't drilled correctly for this Jelco as it now appears too long with the headshell very close to catching the lid when I close it.

I've managed to align the cartridge as best as I can in the current headshell (still has tabs on the Adikt so may need to remove these later) 

I've attached some images so hopefully you can see what I mean.

Does this look correct to you guys or is the armboard incorrect for this length of arm?

Thanks. 

56008df877775c487607df735811e962.jpg915dda19f2ef968f37b64bf2dc52dcd6.jpg

It's certainly looking very long. Did you get the armboard from a Linn dealer? Did you consider getting the current Jelco arm & board offered with the Majik LP12?

50 minutes ago, Tendaberry said:

It's certainly looking very long. Did you get the armboard from a Linn dealer? Did you consider getting the current Jelco arm & board offered with the Majik LP12?

It's not an official board but has come from Audio Classique who have good reviews I understand. The arm is used as my budget won't stretch to the new Majik arm and board from Linn I'm afraid.

It's looking more likely that this board is cut for the SA-750D which I understand has a spindle to pivot distance of 214mm whereas my SA-375H has a distance of 222mm.

Just waiting on Audio Classique to confirm but looks like I need new board - d'oh!

Linn's new Jelco sourced Majik arm only serves to reinforce frustrations down the years that Jelco haven't twigged and produced more fully Linn compatible variants of their  tone-arms.

Many of their arms , with just a reduction in effective length and an arm cable plug at the correct angle, would have been very usable on the LP12... delivering a good level of performance for sensible money .

It's been a shame really ...hopefully the new Majik arm will fill  the gap. 

Edited by Smokestack

Sign in to follow this