Sign in to follow this  
JohnnyBuchan

First LP12 about to arrive and nothing to play on it... what recommendations do you have?

I have a few records, but my musical taste of 30 years ago really wasn't that great!

These days I find myself listening to almost everything and have recently started to explore a bit Jazz with artists such as Carmen Gomez, Claire Martin and Benny Carter. Also on the classical front, someone on here talked about Glenn Gould playing Bach's Goldberg Variations which really is fabulous, I love that you can hear him singing along in the background.

So I wondered what suggestions you guys might have to start my record collection off with...

Classicals are great works . Try to look for famous stereo era conductors & performers like Leopold Stokowski, Adrian Boult, Otto Klemperer, Maria Callas, Sviatoslav Richter ....  most of their recordings are just great and you could feel their passion on musics. Thank heaven stereo has arrived on time and their arts are well-preserved. 

• Like 1

I find it essential to have several albums that are very high sound quality, to show off your system to visitors.

These albums can also be used as reference albums so you can compare improvements in sound quality as you upgrade the system.

I like to have a selection of Steely Dan albums, Pink Floyd, Beck-Sea Change, Eagles, Beatle’s Love album, Doors-Morrison Hotel for example

• Like 1

Gillian Welch came out with two records on vinyl in 2017 that were previously only released on CD: 2011s "The Harrow & the Harvest" and 2003s Soul Journey.  I can highly recommend both of them.  She and her musical partner David Rawlings bought and rebuilt a Neumann VMS-80 cutting lathe and got together an all analog setup to press from the original analog tapes.  They were so serious about preserving the quality analog sound that when a European company bought to some of the rights to Soul Journey and pressed LPs from digital tapes Welch paid out the contract and had all the LPs destroyed!

At the risk of sounding like a paid advertisement, here is a quote from their page:

“We have been working and waiting 20 years to bring you our music on phonograph record. It took a while, because we wanted to do it the right way, the absolute best way humanly possible, and I believe that’s what we’ve done. No sonic stone was left unturned, no nuance let fall by the wayside. There is honestly nothing else I can imagine hoping to hear out of the original tapes. It is all there in the groove. As people whose lives were changed by the sound of music coming off turntables, we humbly invite you to include us in your record collection.” – Gillian Welch

I own both records and they are indeed lovely.

While you are at it, no jazz record collection is complete without Miles Davis "Kind of Blue" - one of the greats.

On 10/02/2020 at 10:28, Monkey Wrench said:

It should be something Scottish so I will nominate Lulu...

...somewhere in the world there will be a direct to disc 180g metal master signed gatefold-sleeve limited anniversary edition of all your favourite pop-tastic Lulu hits.

...or failing that some Gillian Welch would be a good substitute.

I've got some Run Rig so I guess that gets the Scottish box ticked

48 minutes ago, ThomasOK said:

Gillian Welch came out with two records on vinyl in 2017 that were previously only released on CD: 2011s "The Harrow & the Harvest" and 2003s Soul Journey.  I can highly recommend both of them. 

Definitely adding them to the list, sound lovely streamed on Tidal imagine the vinyl version will be fab. Cheers Thomas!

I just got my Majik LP12 on Thursday and started with a clutch of Pink Floyd LP's, followed by Lindsey Buckingham's Gift of screws and Hugh Laurie's Let them talk.

I have to say, even when connected to my modest dino/Marantz pm5005/Dynaudio DM2/6 system, it sounds incredible. From just these few albums, I am already hearing so much more from them. Everything about it is a significant improvement over my old Debut Carbon/2M Blue combo. However, a special shout out has to go to percussion, bass, acoustic guitars and vocals.

• Like 2

Some of the early Dire Straits albums were recorded well and sound great on vinyl.

To experience bass quality you can’t go wrong with reggae which just sounds great on vinyl. I recently played my decades old copy of Equal Rights by Peter Tosh and loved the sound.

Kind of Blue by Miles Davis is great, so is Out of Time by Dave Brubeck. Abraxas by Santana is awesome. The new heavy weight Exile On Main Street by the Stones is fab. For a different sound I love The Man Machine by Kraftwerk. 

What a personal mission though...

• Like 1

I think you'll have an easier time finding the Dave Brubeck album Time Out than the one listed above.

• Haha 1

On ‎09‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 07:11, Paulssurround said:

I find it essential to have several albums that are very high sound quality, to show off your system to visitors.

These albums can also be used as reference albums so you can compare improvements in sound quality as you upgrade the system.

I like to have a selection of Steely Dan albums, Pink Floyd, Beck-Sea Change, Eagles, Beatle’s Love album, Doors-Morrison Hotel for example

Yes, It's always nice to have some great  sounding albums which allow the system to show off a bit ...

But the real proof of a system is how enjoyable it manages to make the less good recordings in our collection.

The best systems excel at this ...allowing us to focus on the music and not the sound .

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Sign in to follow this