Sign in to follow this  
Sheva

'Dullaudio: Safe as F**k' ...... true or false?

Plug

I would love to hear the ref 8's on the end of your system and have no doubt that would be a great night in.

I stand by my view of the studio range in relation to the rest of the brandbuthave no doubtyour kit sounds great in it's present config.

For what it's worth I did recognise the direction your comments were coming from in relation to Dynaudio and that's a lot more than the original postercould do.

Davewhityetagain wrote:

even multipul drivers not as good as a 10inch 2 fives dont make a 10 :D

quite literally. 2x5 inch drivers have about half the radiating area of 1x10 inch, you would need 4 of them to get the same area and even then I'm not sure its equivalent ... you need some speaker johnny to answer that.

JANDL100 wrote:

SSM wrote:
JANDL100 wrote:
SSM wrote:
All the major classical music studios use B&W speakers for recording, anyway. So that's where I'm headed!??:shock:

SS

John Bowers Active Ones - simply superb for classical (see my avatar). :)

I don't want to see.:nerves:Doubt they'll cost within £1000 (that's my fixed limit per sidegrade:D)

SS

They cost me less than £400 (RRP was £1300 in 1983)- they aren't trendy or popular, but they are the best speakers I have ever heard.

Last pair on fleabay went for £200. If someone who has had AvantGarde Unos says that about them, that's quite a bargain!

Anyway, Dynaudios - I already said I used them with Naim and still missed the point. Maybe it's a 'rock' thing; stuff about timbre, timing and tone are lost on them, I found. Good job we don't all like the same thing :)

had 1.8 mkII's always found them a touch slow and thuddy, heard their new 8k special edition floor standers at Bristol - underwhelmed seem to have gone the other way and they were far too bright, but if it floats yer boat in your set up and music taste knock yourself out....................better than listening to them...........;)

Davewhityetagain wrote:

Biscuit wrote:
I thought the Turnberry's only had the weeny 10" dc? :P

10 inch is a lot bigger than most stuff around 4 6 and 8 inch :nup:  even multipul drivers not as good as a 10inch 2 fives dont make a 10 :D

:goodone:

I'll never buy another pair of speakers with less than 10" drivers.

Sheva wrote:

So does being a bit forgiving and a bit bassy really justify being called safe? Or should speakers show how really brightand cheap your electronics are?

IMO/E Dyns are revealing and lively but result will depend onpartneriing equipment etc.

Just hope that peoplewill find out for theirselves instead of following such partial (misplaced :() assumptions.

Brown Bottle wrote:

SSM wrote:
AmDismal wrote:
JANDL100 wrote:
Sheva wrote:
'Dullaudio: Safe as F**k' ...... true or false?

Well, lots of folks would disagree with me ... but I've heard them quite a few times but only at Shows, and I would say 'true'.

I've not heard a pair of Dynys that did it for me, including those bigConfidence jobbies that sell for multiples of £10k driven by humungous Plinius amps.

Some love 'em, like meninblack, I find 'em dulldulldull, not as in treble rolloff, but as in uninteresting & boring.

YMMV :peace:

(Oops - my next post is number 5,000 - I must make sure it's a positive one ;))

I owned a pretty decent pair for a while, and it coincided 100% with a serious drop-off in my music listening. So +1 for 'true', I'm afraid.

For me they only came alive when really pushed hard - either with the valve amp or the Naim I was borrowing. But then, anything sounds good when it's so loud and you've had loads of booze, so what's the point?

There are a lot more speaker brands I'd be keen to try out, tbh - Dyns are not one I'd look to revisit.

And, of course, YMMV!

Concurs with my experiences.

That makes three Classical bLoggers who aren't inspired by the Dyn sound.

SS

MIB & Erik are 2 of the most prolific posters in the General Music section, may be points to where the strengths of the Dyns lie.

Cheers BB

Take it to heartfrom areasonableposter.:)Cheers BB. :^

I haven't forgotten that I was called a c*** by one Dynadude for stating that I don't totally like the Dynaudio sound. How reasonable.:cafe:

And also being "magnanimously" told by another that my views are "irrelevant" after I had criticised the Foci. This, after being told by the same person that my first (glowing) review of the Foci was excellent.

It's "people" like these that put me off purchasing another Dynaudio speaker.

Classy.

SSM wrote:

I haven't forgotten that I was called a c*** by one Dynadude for stating that I don't totally like the Dynaudio sound. How reasonable.:cafe:

And also being "magnanimously" told by another that my views are "irrelevant" after I had criticised the Foci. This, after being told by the same person that my first (glowing) review of the Foci was excellent.

Classy.

Awwww come on Sssolid,

you can't blame the speakers for the fact that some of their owners are a little er um shall we say "eccentric"!

Cheers

Dave

p.s. I'm not a fan of Dynaudio nor a hater!

SSM wrote:

Classy.

Solid, the only problem with your review as I recall it was a finite/definite statement of what Foci/Contours sound like when powered by a Creek Evo 50W amplifier – the feeling was you maybe did not hear them in your environment to their full capability. That is why you received some flak from very happy Contour owners at the time of your review. Yourreviewsare not factual other than to you FWIW.

Dynaudios are just like any other speaker out there, the will sound different with different rooms, different electronics & different listener preferences. They are not for everyone. But Dull do me a favour, that is plain daft. I’d hate to see Dynaudios falling into the same trap that befell Art’s on this and other forums though, hyped positive bumming up only then to recieve a major backlash. No speaker is perfect, but neither are they as bad as made out either. IMHO.

SSM wrote:

Classy.

Grrrrrr. You fiend!:x

Have no fear that the Dynadudes will get you one day. I will remind the Fraters at the Lodge when we meet next. :x

We will also be after that meninblack. Traitor! :x

DB wrote:

SSM wrote:

Classy.

Awwww come on Sssolid,

you can't blame the speakers for the fact that some of their owners are a little er um shall we say "eccentric"!

Cheers

Dave

p.s. I'm not a fan of Dynaudio nor a hater!

Thank goodness real mates like you on here outnumber those who place their brand-fetishisms before friendship.:hug:It's the reason I still hang on.quartet.gif

The good thing about my Feb Dynavorce is that I (sadly) realised some wammers who I thought to be friends were only too ready to backstab me elsewhere even though they weren't involved in the actual debate. A good lesson about the fickleness of the internet.:?

Well, this is the last I shall ever speak about Dyn.:) From now on, I will place Dynadweeds in the same unstable category as Naimites.:D

cheerSS

notaclue wrote:

Eek! :run:

notaclue wrote:

SSM wrote:

Classy.

Grrrrrr. You fiend!:x

Have no fear that the Dynadudes will get you one day. I will remind the Fraters at the Lodge when we meet next. :x

lol.gif Don't worry, NAC. You're a great guy and I will always luv you.:D:hom:

And I'm sure I will love MIB even more in the future now that he has seen the light.:green:

SS

Don't forget Darren - he sold his Dyn's and bought AVi actives, so he is a traitor to the whole of hi-fi, not just Dynaudio.

:pole:

Some ex-Dynadudes yesterday...

I see I am being mis-represented by that fucking idiot again.

Guess what, I don't care to take up the issue again because I have zero time to waste on that person.

I'll leave it to GOD/KARMA/DIVINE JUSTICE to give me my dues eventually.

(ps: Just know that you are a laughing stock on the wam's grapevine.)