Guidance needed on source for my room

I'm taking my Posselt Albatross speakers and will be using either my Musical Fidelity A3CR Pre/Power or my Sugden IA-4 integrated. I'm not sure what to about a source.

Option 1) CD Player: probably Pioneer PD-S505 Precision rather than Arcam CD23T which would be a hassle to get out of my "rack" (1930s HMV gramophone cabinet, gutted and repurposed). If Pioneer, Ideally with an external DAC but similar hassle factor re removal means I might see if I can borrow one...

Pros and cons: in some ways this is limiting (to CDs I own) vs say streaming but in other ways it's liberating as people can bring their own CDs along.

Option 2) live streaming: I have a Tidal subscription and could pull together a playlist. I would probably use my vanilla Bluesound Node 2 rather than pimped Node 2i from main rig.

Pros and cons: heavily dependent on wifi quality.

Option 3) hard drive: I have had a 3TB WD My Passport drive sitting here for over a year. Needs formatting properly. Room for hundreds of CD quality tracks. Would use Bluesound Node 2 as streamer.

Pros and cons: less limiting than CDs but doesn't let visitors bring their own music.

Option 4) turntable. modest Rega P2 with immodest Michell Tecnoarm and modest cart sitting here, doing nothing.

Pros and cons: nah...transport, set-up, etc, limited choice of albums here vs CDs.

Your thoughts on practicality, preference etc please!

My own choice is option 3), running from a laptop via a USB DAC (as per diagram in another thread), with the option of using a CD drive connected to the PC if necessary for playing CDs brought by visitors. I should also be able to play anything brought on a thumb drive that way too. My FLAC file collection is already on the laptop's hard drive, along with all necessary s/w for running it, so it's a no-brainer for me.

Edited by Tony_J
  • Like 1

I've done Tidal in that hotel, the first year I think it was. Worked fine.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Nigel if you want to borrow a DAC I have several all of varying tyoes you are welcome to use one if you bring your CD Player which I would reccomend (Pioneer) even if you decide to stream as you can stil then play music brought in . DAC,s have both Coaxial SPDIF and Toslink inputs if pushed could even bring a USB to SPDIF DAC that you could use with your lap top .

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bencat said:

Nigel if you want to borrow a DAC I have several all of varying tyoes you are welcome to use one if you bring your CD Player which I would reccomend (Pioneer) even if you decide to stream as you can stil then play music brought in . DAC,s have both Coaxial SPDIF and Toslink inputs if pushed could even bring a USB to SPDIF DAC that you could use with your lap top .

Helpful and kind, Andrew. Will PM later. ūüėä

Hi Nigel,

I can borrow you my Sony CDP and a Chevron 1794  dddac ( coaxial spdif only ) if you want to try it on Saturday, if they are not suitable then I can pick them up again Sunday. I'm pretty local to the show so no big deal to drop it off and it's also an excuse for me to come Saturday for a little while as well. :D

Saves bencat lugging one from Liverpool with a car load of other stuff.

Now your being spoiled for choice. xD

Edited by Hap Hazzard

Spoiled? Absolutely! I have some googling to do...

The Pioneer is rated as a top quality spinner limited by its DAC and I can readily extract that; but an external DAC would get the most out of it.

Ok. Just let me know what you decide. :)

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.