lostwin

The Exhibitors - Guide to the systems at the show

Super Wammer
2 hours ago, Pigmy Pony said:

Nobody told me it isn't a competition - I was hoping to pick up a prize for best dancing hula girl in show ;-) Anyway I'm now hoping to find a full time "system sitter" so I can spend the day listening to your stuff! Love a bit of bass, me

She better be good because I have one too & she is lurvely!

Super Wammer

Room 124

Similar system to last year. Oppo Sonica dac/streamer, KJF Audio 6 channel modular amp configured for 3 way active use (500wpc x2, 250wpc x2, 125wpc x2) The same speakers as last year, DIY sealed cabinet 2 way, plus I have now added a separate box to each speaker, with a B110 for mid duties, Behringer DCX2496 active crossover with dsp, DIY passive Pre-amp.

The extra power afforded by the new amp, has given deeper and more controlled bass, plus a clarity, that the Ncore modules bring, that I do not find at all fatiguing to my ears, it will be interesting to see what other people think. The addition of the Kef B110 for mid duties has also helped the overall presentation of the speakers, it is a drive unit I have always admired, since making my LS35A clones, vocal clarity and tone is excellent.

As always, looking forward to the weekend, and meeting friends old and new.

Bring it on!

Edited by greybeard
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Speedracer said:

She better be good because I have one too & she is lurvely!

How am I supposed to win if other people bring theirs?

Seriously though, I'm looking forward to meeting you guys, and seeing what you've put together - it all sounds fascinating, and completely over my head ;-)

• Upvote 1

Bit more resolution for my listing.

Denon DR M30 cassette deck with DIY valve head amp and equalisation. Wireless World standalone Dolby B decoder.

Wharfedale Teesdale SP2 with replaced woofers.

Will play CD and Cassettes (at your risk) and try and sort out some limited Spotify.

Thanks

Edited by dave
  • Like 1

Super Wammer

For this year I will be bringing my main rig again, but with a couple of changes to last year. 

Brinkmann Bardo/Encounter 3C, but this year teamed with a Transfiguration Axia S instead of last years Sumiko Pearwood. 

MFA Classic Baby SUT/Tron Seven mm phonostage and Lector CDP7TL mk3. 

This will all feed into my MasterSound PHL5 pre and IA MB845SEs and out via New for this year Quad ESL989 if One Thing Audio have managed to sort the intermittent cutting out at anything beyond 9 O'clock on the volume (they think it's the spark arrestor or a dry joint somewhere). If not sorted in time then it will be either my Q Acoustics 3020s or more likely wizmax 2905s which he's kindly offered to loan me in the event of a 989 no show. 

Am hoping the 989s will be ready as to my ears they've taken my system to another level, keeping the bass from the Ushers only cleaner, deeper & more nuanced (who says ESLs don't do bass) but added detail, clarity, imaging and a wider sounstage to the mix. 

As for music, we'll pretty much my usual eclectic mix: J S Ondara, Over the Rhine, Glen Hansard, Clapton........... In addition I will be bringing some 12" singles I've recently acquired, from the mid 70s to early 90s, Adamski, Killer anyone? 

• Like 2

Super Wammer

Are we doing our own room door notices ? 

Super Wammer

Carbohydrate /fat based sweet snacks will probably be a feature of quite a few rooms .....and the occasional distalate of malted Scottish barley 😀

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Brigadoon said:

Someone mention cake?

Yep

Its allocated as follows

1st slice Me

2nd slice Me

3rd slice me 

and so on 9_9

Super Wammer

1 ex-lax chocolate cake reserved for your personal consumption Al. 

6 minutes ago, Lurch said:

1 ex-lax chocolate cake reserved for your personal consumption Al. 

I was going to say no sh-t but sh-t :D

• Haha 1

Opps ! just noticed this thread is about show kit 

I can confirm I will be bringing the following

Kit ,

Pop in my room and have a looksee

Super Wammer

ROOM 120

Really looking forward to this year's show, as usual.

System is about playing Graham LS5/9 in active form.  First time in public.

This year I'll be using a similar front end to previous years shows, but as last year, the speakers will be the main change.  No blue speakers this year though!

Front end is Linn's Akurate Exakt DSM streamer which will be playing tunes fed across a network feed from AssetDB on a Dell laptop.  The laptop will also be the control point for the streamer.

This sends an Exaktlink signal to a Linn Akurate Exaktbox6/1 which features multiple DACs using Linn's Katalyst architecture. The Exaktbox will be loaded with Graham LS5/9 (modified) filters provided by Speakerfilters.com.  This box does the following:

- using digital filters the signal is split into treble and bass and the crossover slopes and relative driver volume levels are implemented digitally

- applies time alignment correction between the speaker drivers

- corrects for phase errors within each drive unit

- avoids crossover phase errors

- applies small FR corrections to allow for factors such as drive unit characteristics and cabinet resonances

- if we choose to do so, applies "SPACE Optimisation" notches below 100Hz to compensate for room mode peaks at the optimum listening position

- one Katalyst DAC per driver converting from digital to analogue - so 4x DACs will be in use this year

- applies the required volume level

PAwqRiNWVxBkeqFU3JKwj7-320-80.png

Each DAC channel then feeds a channel of power amplification in the form of Sweden's Lejonklou Tundra Stereo 2.5 power amps.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSyLbXHc4KGjhhmg1eni7Limages?q=tbn:ANd9GcSyLbXHc4KGjhhmg1eni7L

Speakers will be Graham LS5/9 which have been modified - the passive crossovers have been removed and additional terminals are added to the back panel - this allows the power amplifiers to be connected directly to each drive unit - they're running active.

We'll have around 200 tracks to play, so please come in, have a listen, and ask for a track of your choice. Please have a chat if you want to understand a bit more about the system.  See you there!

GA+LS5_9+Small.jpg

Oh, and there'll be Isoplats too  ;)

Edited by sunbeamgls
  • Like 5

Superb write up Sunbeam. Great to get some insight into how the system has been pulled together and how it all works technically. Not a system that would have leapt off  the page for me just as a list of kit in the catalogue but definitely one that I am now intrigued to hear.

Hope you have a great show 👍🏻

Edited by lostwin
Typo
  • Like 3

Morning my ( humble kit ) as follows PLEASE EXCUSE SPELLING !!  Pioneer PDS 901 CD player musical fidelity CDT ( frog eye ) CD player hopefully a very much mod mission pcm 4000 with  vavle stage ( by mr Danny batty ) Spekers will be haybrook HB2 with re done X overs and new base / mids fitted _ Analog Digital Systems L 810 floor standers and some keeysoinc Kubs with up dated cross overs amplifiers will be Quad 1 1 with hopefully fully re worked 22 pre amp by sherif [ ? Spelling ) Armstrong 730 pre amp 732 power amp maybe my old technics amp SU 8080 and a spare Sony FA3 ES ON STAND BUY / Mo Jo dac interconnects of different types same as speaker wire ( I’m more than happy to any one that would like to help me set up my room as this is my fist time doing this sort of thing ) hopefully you did not fall to sleep reading this  (SEE YOU THERE ) 👍👍👍

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.