Headphone recs

Turns out I enjoy listening to the headphone amp output on the exogal comet, I currently use Grado sr80i's which are open, pretty cheap and sound alright. 

I used to own some akg k260 sextetts which were nice, but uncomfortable and difficult to drive. 

Unsure if I want to go open or closed back this time. But budget up to £400, including used should do it. 

* Removable cable is a plus 

* 5m cable option 

* Comfortable for a few hours listening 

I wouldn't mind a higher used pair of grados as you can get some bargains out there. Looking at a few closed back ones still. 

Good notes from a comet headphone listener

https://www.headphone.guru/exogal-comet-a-compact-reference/

Grados can come across as rather bright (they do to me).  I like them and have had a few pairs, the best being the most expensive sadly, a pair of PS1000.
Very impreessively open and detailed, but in the end the bright got to me.

Worth having a listen to some 'stats (Stax etc) as long as you are not a committed bass-head.
I've tried a couple of stat/dynamic hybrids - urgh, awful!  Maybe it's just me, they get great reviews.

Lots of folk love planar magnetics - very powerful and coherent, but they all sound irritatingly smooth to me. (I've tried from £400 rrp to several £k).

In the end, imo, conventional cans are the best allrounders.  Grados if you like the sound signature, but a host of others available.  
I seem to have settled in the £300-£600 rrp price band as optimum - not at all convinced you get better than that, just different flavours.
I like and own Philips Fidelio, Beyerdynamic Tesla, PSB M4U, Stax SR3 and a pair of B&O H6 on the way (for the 2nd time).
You just have to try a few to find out what suits you.

Edited by JANDL100
  • Like 1

Lots of nice options on your budget I've had the Oppo PM3 for a few years now and a  number of cans have come and gone in your price range but have always kept the oppo PM3 as they are great performers and are versatile working well either off of a phone or desk top amp. Also have hd800 and he6 set ups

If in your shoes I would be thinking about going for a Popular used headphone like the Sennheiser hd650 or hd600 or hifiman he560 or  he400 to use as a bench mark  they will always sell on easily and you will find lots of reviews on line on how they compare to pretty much everything else to help narrow down the exact sort of performance your after.

Personally I would be thinking about saving an extra £100 and looking for a used Beryerdynamic T1 or Sennheiser hd800 which will let you dip a tie into summit fi performance.

Thanks guys, 

I'm looking at 32-140ohm max sensitivity so the 5w headphone amp will drive them. That means the beyers amongst others are out. 

I like lightweight open back headphones so I was looking at the Grado rs2e, but the build quality doesn't seem any better than my 80s.

So I've been looking for a couple days now at closed back headphones, and open. For the 3-600 bracket including used, and I'm still perplexed. :)

I wouldn't personally buy used headphones as I don't like the thought of them having sat on a stranger’s sweaty head for hours (like your mum does).

I love my Oppo PM-3. Lovely warm sounding headphone that is comfortable and makes all music sound good. I consider them a portable headphone though. For indoor use you definitely want open back. I'm a big fan of planar magnetic headphones in general but few are easy to drive.

Like speakers, they all sound so different it's hard to make recommendation. Go listen to some.

Audioquest Nighthawk are supposed to be good.

Edited by Warszawa
  • Like 1

Have owned and compared both the Audioquest Nighthawk and the Meze 99 classic in the past to my PM3 they are both easy to drive and nice sounding headphones. The  Oppo PM3 is significantly better than both of them imho. I still have my PM3 and they have long gone.

Edited by JamieMcC
  • Like 1
On 17/02/2020 at 15:24, kernow said:

So I've been looking for a couple days now at closed back headphones, and open. For the 3-600 bracket including used, and I'm still perplexed. :)

Have you listened to any, Shaun?

I think headphones are just as personal a choice as speakers.  You just gotta try some.

If you're going to Kegworth there is a planned headphone dem room there with stats and planar magnetics and maybe other types, I think.

• Like 1

Only my SR80s. Hehe 

The lcd2 look like a good match, whether I'd like them is another matter

4 hours ago, kernow said:

The lcd2 look like a good match, whether I'd like them is another matter

Is this the new "Classic"? I had a pair of LCD-2 before they introduced the Fazor drivers so should be very similar. Lovely warm sound with seismic bass. Great headphone but they are heavy so you wouldn't want to use them for hours on end. markedkiller78 bought them.

Edited by Warszawa

Ah, yeah. New pair on eBay for 600 

I've had the LCD-X as well. :whistle: Preferred the LCD-3 although they are much harder to drive. The X can make a humble smartphone sound remarkable. The X have a more "studio" type sound, a bit more open and extended at the top end but still with plenty of body. 

• Like 1

At that price I'd have the Shure SRH1540 on the list.

I thought the Audeze range sounded completely flat compared to the Oppo PM1 but that's a different price league.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.