Aqua Acoustic

Mad4it

9 minutes ago, Gwantommo said:

Do you know which tubes he’s putting in? I’ve just picked up some nos mullards to try after hearing some owners reporting great results from them. Haven’t got around to trying them yet though. The good thing is it’s a cheap tube to try compared to the more commonly used types. 

Really sorry, I don't, but as soon as I found out I'll let you know.

Aparrently, they had someone test quite a number before settling on these particular ones.

Mac

1 hour ago, whitehart said:

Really sorry, I don't, but as soon as I found out I'll let you know.

Aparrently, they had someone test quite a number before settling on these particular ones.

Mac

Look forward to your findings! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gwantommo said:

Look forward to your findings! 

The valves being put in are Philips E81CC ECC801S 6201 DF6 tubes

Cheers

Mac

20 hours ago, whitehart said:

The valves being put in are Philips E81CC ECC801S 6201 DF6 tubes

Cheers

Mac

Thanks for the update, looking forward to seeing what you think to the change.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2021 at 12:50, Gwantommo said:

Thanks for the update, looking forward to seeing what you think to the change.

Hi,

Had the La Scala back since last Tuesday and as promised, here's my thoughts:

To be totally honest, I'm not great at explaining what I hear and try not to get too flowery, they only way I can describe the SQ with the Philips bubes is that the music is more engaging, so definitely an improvement.... before, it was a bit boring and no improvement on my current DAC, not that the DA 06 is in any way boring, I mean the Aqua didn't grab my intention to any noticeable betterment.

Now, whilst it is better with the new tubes, I'm dubious if it's for me.

As you may know, I recently heard a DCS Bartok and it's completely turned my head, but I will give the La Scala till the end of the coming week, time for tubes to fully burn in.

Cheers

Mac

I’m quite happy with the La Scala but I believe your mind is already made up. If you settle for less than the Bartok you’ll never be satisfied so best to wait until funds allow imho.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, monya said:

I’m quite happy with the La Scala but I believe your mind is already made up. If you settle for less than the Bartok you’ll never be satisfied so best to wait until funds allow imho.

You're probably right, but to be honest, if I hadn't heard one, I could happily live with the La Scala and I would recommend changing to the Philips tubes.

Mac

On 16/10/2021 at 12:52, whitehart said:

Hi,

Had the La Scala back since last Tuesday and as promised, here's my thoughts:

To be totally honest, I'm not great at explaining what I hear and try not to get too flowery, they only way I can describe the SQ with the Philips bubes is that the music is more engaging, so definitely an improvement.... before, it was a bit boring and no improvement on my current DAC, not that the DA 06 is in any way boring, I mean the Aqua didn't grab my intention to any noticeable betterment.

Now, whilst it is better with the new tubes, I'm dubious if it's for me.

As you may know, I recently heard a DCS Bartok and it's completely turned my head, but I will give the La Scala till the end of the coming week, time for tubes to fully burn in.

Cheers

Mac

A week later and I'm of still the same mind and have advised the dealer, but they have asked me to give it more time.

I'm not convinced and have asked them to arrange collection, but didn't hear back.

Again, I will say, to La Scala owners do try the new tubes, my friend also found it to be an improvement over the originals.

Mac

On 20/10/2021 at 23:00, whitehart said:

A week later and I'm of still the same mind and have advised the dealer, but they have asked me to give it more time.

I'm not convinced and have asked them to arrange collection, but didn't hear back.

Again, I will say, to La Scala owners do try the new tubes, my friend also found it to be an improvement over the originals.

Mac

Thanks for sharing all the info Mac. I tried rolling the tubes for the first time yesterday, putting some 1950s mullards in. Definitely changed the sound, a little less detail than the stock tubes but a bigger soundstage and more engaging. My daughter described it as filling the room more. I’ll have to try the Philips as well, see how they compare. Would you mind sharing which dealer it was?

• Like 1

On 23/10/2021 at 09:28, Gwantommo said:

Thanks for sharing all the info Mac. I tried rolling the tubes for the first time yesterday, putting some 1950s mullards in. Definitely changed the sound, a little less detail than the stock tubes but a bigger soundstage and more engaging. My daughter described it as filling the room more. I’ll have to try the Philips as well, see how they compare. Would you mind sharing which dealer it was?

Yes sure, it's Elite Audio, very nice guys to deal with, not sure they think the same of me with all the tooing and frowing they went through for me.

Perhaps don't mention me, if you do happen to speak to them.

Mac

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone taken advantage of the i2s connection on their Aqua DACs? I'm exploring if it's possible to use a SACD transport that would output DSD using i2s. 

7 hours ago, Gwantommo said:

Has anyone taken advantage of the i2s connection on their Aqua DACs? I'm exploring if it's possible to use a SACD transport that would output DSD using i2s. 

No, I haven't tried i2s to get DSD from transport to DAC, but I'm really interested to find out if anyone has! Currently, I use the Geerfab D.BoB to take the DSD output from an Oppo player, and send it to my Formula xHD; via s/PDiF. Sound quality is very good using the D.BoB, but there is a switching 'click' at the end of each SACD disc, which sometimes causes the DAC to 'hang'. I suspect that a direct connection to the DAC via i2s would be a better solution, if it can be done.

Edited by Kokopelli51

9 hours ago, Gwantommo said:

Try going back to page 2 of this thread :D

2 hours ago, MotherSky said:

Try going back to page 2 of this thread :D

Thanks, that’s really helpful. Should always try reading the thread first!

The D.Bob is an interesting alternative but I’d prefer to have a direct connection if a compatible transport exists. I’m wondering if the PS Audio one could be a match, I’ll contact them and see.

After much investigation i2s is just too difficult to use. There are 3 formats and the SACD transports currently available don’t match the Aqua. The Aqua transport was too rich for me, so I grabbed and ex demo CEC and have used SPDIF to connect it. Sounds great with the upscaling on so for now I’m going to stop trying to add SACD to my system