Looking for an appropriate, budget, Moving Coil cartridge for an LP12 deck with Basik Plus arm.

Succinct suggestions greatly appreciated !

I currently have two LP12 decks, one fitted with a Linn K9 moving magnet, and the other with a now somewhat aged ADC MC1.5 Moving Coil, the latter requiring replacement. Both decks have Basik Plus arms.

Perhaps something along the lines of, dare I say it, a Denon 103 ? (tin hat on!).

:^ Superb on a budget.:whistle:

https://www.whathifi.com/audio-technica/f7/review

image.jpeg

Edited by Mr Kandid

An LVX+ is too light to control an ATF7 - you'll get a resonance at 13 Hz. It certainly can not control a Denon DL103, this would give a resonance at arond 15.5 Hz.

With a Linn K9 I'd have it fitted with a Paratrace stylus: https://theaudiofiles.co.uk/95p-paratrace-stylus-for-at95e-cartridge/

Thanks folks, keep those suggestions coming. All just what I need to hear !

Be aware though, NOT for an LVX arm, but Basik Plus, which I thought had an agreed potential for MC use ?

The existing ADC MC1.5 sounds great and tracks faultlessly.

Edited by LanceG

What’s the rest of the two decks spec?   I’d pick up another MM until the deck has a better arm etc. 

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, LanceG said:

Thanks folks, keep those suggestions coming. All just what I need to hear !

Be aware though, NOT for an LVX arm, but Basik Plus, which I thought had an agreed potential for MC use ?

That's why I suggested what I did and I think at least it'll work the best out of that arm until you might upgrade further but when you find out the delights of moving coil the flood gates are open.

Don't overlook the new Majik arm " Jelco " it's more than capable of a few upgrades. B|

• Upvote 1

The existing ADC MC1.5 sounds great and tracks faultlessly. I just want (soon need?) to replace it.

The K9 is also going to be long in the tooth now, but the Moving coil ADC sounds so very much better. I have had several systems throughout my advancing years, and the ADC sounds good to me.

That AT-F7 is now on the (currently very short !) list. The Denon DL103 seems to get great reviews, and is similarly priced.

I really don't want (or feel I need) to get sucked into an upgrading black hole , arm, deck, pre-amp, amplifier, speakers etc upgrades. What I have works pretty much well enough for me, and I am aware of the law of diminishing returns. Looking for "bang for buck". I am not sure what the ADC would have cost originally or at what "level" it was perceived to be at, budget or otherwise.

Edited by LanceG

38 minutes ago, LanceG said:

You will notice that I didn't say LVX, I said LVX+ which is exactly what a Basik Plus is - an updated Basik LVX. I have had the former on an Ariston RD80 and currently have the latter on an Ariston RD80.

There is no way it will adequately control a low compliance MC cartridge.

Thanks DebsE, I have oft suffered from some confusion regarding the Basik Plus/LVX+ naming.

The arm/s I have are marked; Basik Plus.

Genuine thanks to you for your input, I will definitely take it on board.

Edited by LanceG

AT F7 compliance is rated at 9 cu @ 100Hz.

For dynamic compliance( @ 10Hz) ,almost double that figure.

It should be fine.

Edited by Harbie

Another option would be to fit the K9 with an Audio Technica AT-VM95ML microline stylus.

Hana EL or SL.

I had a Basik Plus arm, with a K5 cartridge, for over 20 years. If the arm is still in good condition (bearings still moving smoothly, counterweight still in good order etc.), the Basik Plus should stand comparison with any of today's budget offerings, though I have not yet heard the Majik arm. When I first bought my LP12, I didn't know how much I would be using it, so I kept costs down by keeping the Basik Plus and fitting a Paratrace stylus to the K5. This was a remarkably effective solution for the cost, and the fact that the subsequent replacement of the arm was with an Ekos SE/1 and an Adikt speaks for itself.

In terms of performance for cost, the venerable AT95 series is hard to beat. Adding an improved stylus (and I can recommend the Paratrace, while the better offerings from AT themselves should also be good) is also a cost effective upgrade option. This will leave a little money in the bank to put towards an Adikt, which is definitely the cartridge to aspire to if the plan is to stay with MM.

The OP doesn't tell us what the specification of the LP12 (other than the arm) actually is, but if, like the arm, it is at Majik level, almost any improvement to the deck below the top plate is likely to be more cost effective in terms of sound quality than replacing the arm or fitting an MC rather than an MM cartridge. For instance, if I had an older deck with a pre-Cirkus bearing and a Valhalla, I'd definitely be saving up to fit the Cirkus, and ideally a Lingo 4 as well.

David

Edited by DavidHB
  • Upvote 3

Not MC, but I would go for one of the new AudioTechnica line, the moving magnet VM95, pick the stylus you fancy, the ML and SH are very good! 

• Upvote 1