simon g

New Harbeth range at Bristol

It's too far for me to go, but I'd be interested in comments, impressions, etc, from anyone who goes, on the new XD range that Harbeth is launching. The P3ESR XD is of particular interest.

Thanks.

Blimey, I can add nothing to your thread other than my genuine interest Simon (bit of a fan of the shoebox Harbs). This is news to me. If the Anniversary models were limited addition perhaps it's a sort of longer term continuation approach. Anyway, it'll be a bloody long time until they appear on the used market !

3 minutes ago, Ian said:

Blimey, I can add nothing to your thread other than my genuine interest Simon (bit of a fan of the shoebox Harbs). This is news to me. If the Anniversary models were limited addition perhaps it's a sort of longer term continuation approach. Anyway, it'll be a bloody long time until they appear on the used market !

It could well be the Anniversary model, but withot the cosmetics. I read that they have been designed with improved low level listening in mimd. A big price hike, but I'm about to move in to what will be my last home and they could fit the bill nicely. I've struggled to get them to work to their full potential previously, but they could suit the new room well.

It will be most interesting when Harbeth launches it and states what is so different. The P3ESR is supposed to create a natural reproduction of the human voice. Now it’s natural human voice with extra definition 🤔

• Like 1

For sure new models will be more expensive for no real reason 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, simon g said:

It's too far for me to go, but I'd be interested in comments, impressions, etc, from anyone who goes, on the new XD range that Harbeth is launching. The P3ESR XD is of particular interest.

Thanks.

Hi Simon.

As you are located near Robertsbridge and they are in Haywards Heath, could you not give them some old flannel and try and blag a demo directly from their factory?

It worked for me with an Exposure CDP a few moons ago.

I am going, so if they are playing (and I remember), not that I'm an expert on Harbeth.

9 minutes ago, Ian said:

I wonder if these are a replacement or an additional option ?

Yes, I'm wondering that. If they're dropping the original model then that's a brave move, as the XD range is £600-£700 more. OK, in business, it's always a balance between price, margin and profit, but moving the P3ESR in to the £2.5K speaker category would hit sales quite hard, I would've thought.

Looking at the info available at present, the XD range seems to have limited finish options vs the 'standard' model. That may be some rationalisation from Harbeth to help with the bottom line, but I suspect that it indicates that they'll have the standard range and the XD range. That way they cover a wider market segment with two products that are very similar to each other, which makes having two ranges a realistic option from a manufacturing POV.

10 minutes ago, simon g said:

Yes, I'm wondering that. If they're dropping the original model then that's a brave move, as the XD range is £600-£700 more. OK, in business, it's always a balance between price, margin and profit, but moving the P3ESR in to the £2.5K speaker category would hit sales quite hard, I would've thought.

Looking at the info available at present, the XD range seems to have limited finish options vs the 'standard' model. That may be some rationalisation from Harbeth to help with the bottom line, but I suspect that it indicates that they'll have the standard range and the XD range. That way they cover a wider market segment with two products that are very similar to each other, which makes having two ranges a realistic option from a manufacturing POV.

Having read your response I agree with you Simon. Given the Anniversaries were a limited edition product  it seems a solid business move to continue with the option of another model. It'll be really interesting to see how they're marketed by Harbeth. Also, it's perhaps likely that these will see an increased number of 'regular' models appear on the used market.

Edited by Ian

Super Wammer

Seeing as Harbeths biggest  market is Asia, I’d expect sales to be good for them there.. it’s a ‘must have’ market, very popular and sure to do well. Having compared my C7’s to the anniversary models, I’m quite content with what I have.

1 hour ago, simon g said:

OK, in business, it's always a balance between price, margin and profit, but moving the P3ESR in to the £2.5K speaker category would hit sales quite hard, I would've thought.

A couple of months ago, there was already talk of Harbeth increasing price by 20%, maybe that cake about with a product like this XD.

If its £2.5k it will not be easy to sell. There are other options at such price range.

45 minutes ago, radiant red said:

it’s a ‘must have’ market, very popular and sure to do well.

I’m in Asia. It may not go that way if the increase is £500 per pair. Harbeth is not a must have in a 2-3 countries in Asia. Not at all. Then there are 3-4 countries in Asia where hifi is a luxury item for the citizen.

Super Wammer
33 minutes ago, tIANcI said:

A couple of months ago, there was already talk of Harbeth increasing price by 20%, maybe that cake about with a product like this XD.

If its £2.5k it will not be easy to sell. There are other options at such price range.

I’m in Asia. It may not go that way if the increase is £500 per pair. Harbeth is not a must have in a 2-3 countries in Asia. Not at all. Then there are 3-4 countries in Asia where hifi is a luxury item for the citizen.

Yes, your right but Asia is a big continent compared to the UK.

Also be interesting to know what amp Harbeth will use to demo their new PS3ER speakers. I understand they have used Yamaha in the past.