Turn it up!

Best budget Bookshelf Speakers?

Hi,

Friend of mine asked for advice on buying a pair of bookshelf / standmount speakers. I've not bought or owned a pair of bookshelf for many years and it seems there is a huge selection out there. The buyer has all round music tastes so everything from electronic to classical so can't help with any obvious musical direction. The budget is up to £200, would prefer new. I've had a look at these names that come up regularly but not to say they are the best as I've not heard any of them-

Q Acoustics 3020

Elac Debut 2.0

Fyne Audio F300

Dali Spektor 2

Most of these are very Whathifi best of (nothing wrong with that, just they don't show everything outside of the most well known). Is there some gems out there that don't come up so easily on searches? Say how would a Kralk TBD 2 hold up in this area against the previous mentioned? 

Cheers 

Edited by Turn it up!

Can’t speak for tdb-2, but I have just sold Spendor D9 as I liked Kralk tdb-6 more ...

There's a pair of Kef Ref 103 on one of the forums for £250. They aren't close to new but they look it and will wallop any of your choices, and evenly voiced so good for all genres of music.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Super Wammer

Wharfedale diamonds.

• Like 1

Dynaudio 40s are good with all types of music..about £200 pre loved..need a fairly powerful amp..dont expect a laid back listen! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bigrod said:

Wharfedale diamonds.

Yeah they come up a lot but which model? Seems to be a very cheap £70 version and another closer to £200. 

Super Wammer

Usher S 520 always had a good reputation for SQ and build quality.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bigrod said:

Wharfedale diamonds.

Yes. I bought some 9.1 units some years ago. Absolutely brilliant value! As far as I know, my brother still has them... 👍 👍 👍 

• Like 2

New - Klipsch R-41M

easy to drive 90db + , dynamic & most of all great  Fun

Used - Usher S 520 great little speakers

Edited by triumph
  • Like 1

Used KEF R100. Best small speaker I’ve heard (yet) - sounds much bigger. Can be found secondhand for £200-250.

Super Wammer

This is such a difficult question to answer as one man's meat is another man's poison.   What is certain is that second hand you can get some cracking bookshelf speakers for under £200 .. from Kef 103,102 to Dynaudios or how about a good old pair of Goodmans Havant for £50 ish and so many more ... 

As I always say - find local wammers and go listen to theirs - get an idea of what you like and what you don't.  Once you have an idea of what you like then it is time to go searching to actually buy