Colinjg

Bristol HI Fi Show this Weekend.

I decided not to take piccies or 'review' the show as I was going after new products. That was successful.

Overall I thought the SQ at the Show was actually very good. The first three rooms were AN, Von Gaylord and Origin Live. The SQ was very different but good. AN were showing a 'more reasonable system'  with the new 4xEL34 Cobra integrated amp with on-board DAC feeding some AN Js. The sound was actually very good and I chatted with PQ about why they made such an amp. There is now a trend for less expensive audio hence a £3,400 integrated. For AN that is less than their silver cables. It was Push Pull because a lot of small speakers are not that efficient. The Von Gaylord room was playing their less expensive set up with the small 'top box' speaker at £3.9K fed by a 4xKT88 integrated and it sounded really good. Different to next door but the imaging was one of the best at the show. Origin Live had a £9K arm on their TT with small speakers. The sound was great although the system on paper was unbalanced. 

The LV room was very good although a lot more expensive and powered by batteries. Valve power amps running off batteries...only Defintive Audio.

Other gems; Magnepan had their small panel speakers and although there was no deep bass the imaging was excellent and avoided that flat panel 40 foot piano syndrome. With a bass sub they would make a great speaker set up and domestically acceptable. Not bad for a grand.

The PMC room was also sounding good. They avoided the big PRO speakers and played some Martin Logans speaker. Yes PMC have wrested them from Absolute Sounds. Their smallest, floorstand  'conventional speaker' was sounding really sweet. It has a Heil ribbon tweeter but the bass coming from it was really powerful and deep (for a small floorstander) and I certainly thought it had a sub somewhere but no just some fancy stuff inside the box. Not bad for £1.6K with a bigger brother that really opened the soundstage up and added more bass weight. Again not bad for about £3K. And of course their panels with their new super-duper bass integration. Looking forward to them appearing in our review pages.

I saw the new Klipsch Cornwall IVs and Heresy IV and they have been modernised to make them much smoother sounding.

Met a few other guys on Saturday including Chris Frankland (Mr Linn/Naim) currently enjoying valves!!!!

Good show and not something I would have said about Bristol a few years ago where the ultra bright, super impressive, behemoths were making most rooms sound painful.

running off batteries...only Defintive Audio

cheaper & sounds much better than the mains couple of hundred quid for a Hifi 200/300watts PV battery system

cheaper than a fancy mains cable + the sun never sends you a bill !

Lower THD & harmonics ,no RFI/EMC ,  rock solid 50Hz 230Vac power & it works in power cuts

any spare energy left dump into tank for free hot water or hearting or sell to the grid for tax free index linked payments for 25years simples 

£10k will supply a whole village 

https://www.sma.de/en/products/battery-inverters/sunny-island-44m-60h-80h.html

Edited by triumph

2 minutes ago, triumph said:

running off batteries...only Defintive Audio

cheaper & sounds much better than the mains couple of hundred quid for a Hifi 200/300watts PV battery system

cheaper than a fancy mains cable + the sun never sends you a bill !

£10k will supply a whole village 

https://www.sma.de/en/products/battery-inverters/sunny-island-44m-60h-80h.html

Are but are they audio approved??? ;)

The other theme was that the supply of audio is drying up as they can't get products/components out of China. At least two companies were delaying launching products due to a shortages of supplies.

powered my system from a battery solar for 10years now & sounds better 4 x 900wpc mono blocks & whole house + 90% surplus sold to the grid

£1850 per year for 25years under  ( feed in tarriffs ) =   £46,250 in income

complete PV system cost £8000 over 500% return on investment & no lecky bill for 10years used to use £1000+  per year

pv inverter produces far better powerquality  than the mains audio  regen units like PS Audio are the same but 10 times the cost as solar inverters are built by the million

Are but are they audio approved

if you do not wish to power via solar or wind or hydro units like Defintive Audio charge batteries from the mains

they use this at munich & other shows  to power a £ 1million + kondo & LV rig

not tried this unit myself -  under 200quid  for  150watt  would supply most systems unless you use big amps

https://www.goalzero.com/shop/power-stations/goal-zero-yeti-150-portable-power-station/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/GOAL-ZERO-Yeti-Solar-Generator/dp/B00TAIL7EQ/ref=sr_1_4?crid=2GG25WPG2TJH&dchild=1&keywords=yeti+solar+generator&qid=1582898930&s=music&sprefix=yeti+solar%2Cpopular%2C206&sr=8-4

Edited by triumph

22 hours ago, hifinutt said:

another video if you are not sick of them !! 

Nice to see simple Simon's found a new outlet for his opinions.

Top tips for next year :-

1. Put your worst old shirt on

2. Stand in doorways so people can't get in or out of demo's

3. Of course talking loudly over demos is expected

4. Go to an expensive turntable demo and say 'it sounds great - nearly as good as cd's'

• Haha 1