Colinjg

Bristol HI Fi Show this Weekend.

17 hours ago, MartinC said:

and their (overpriced) analogue crossover. I hope they do a decent job of getting things integrated, to show what this sort of approach can do

Do give a report on the CR1. Am keen to purchase one myself. Got a hardly used one available from my neck of the woods.

Just now, tIANcI said:

Do give a report on the CR1. Am keen to purchase one myself. Got a hardly used one available from my neck of the woods.

Note that the CR1 has one major limitation compared to DSP options, which is that it cannot adjust the arrival times of signals from the sub and main speakers to match. As such a miniDSP SHD is a considerably cheaper but more capable option, before even considering Dirac capability. I'd certainly encourage anyone to try to demo an SHD before buying a CR1 anyway.

I'll be interested to see how the system sounds though, as it will specifically be a stereo system whereas the previous systems I've heard at shows with subs have primarily been setup for AV performance.

3 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Note that the CR1 has one major limitation compared to DSP options, which is that it cannot adjust the arrival times of signals from the sub and main speakers to match.

Yeah I get what you mean. miniDSP can make more adjustments too.

I’ll wait for your opinion after Bristol. Have a great time! Oh yeah ... Harbeth is launching their new XD series too.

Edited by tIANcI
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tIANcI said:

Yeah I get what you mean. miniDSP can make more adjustments too.

I’ll wait for your opinion after Bristol. Have a great time! Oh yeah ... Harbeth is launching their new XD series too.

Still not sure I'll be able to go due to work, but fingers crossed I'll be able to.

Hopefully some others may give the room a try too :).

Super Wammer
9 hours ago, eddie-baby said:

I bet that was interesting

Slightly disorganised in many ways... 

understandable being a first. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, radiant red said:

Slightly disorganised in many ways... 

understandable being a first. 

My earliest memory of the Bristol Show was quite a spectacle really. Almost as impressionable as my first visit to Scalford I suppose but both have their place.

One of the memorable points must have been a pair of Focal Grand Utopia right down on the bottom floor which is pretty much all I remember from it. Those speakers where just another level of what I thought hi-fi could be. The show was however a lot more just two channel and everything in all fairness was really well presented, a bit like a good Wam Show is ;)

7 minutes ago, eddie-baby said:

My earliest memory of the Bristol Show was quite a spectacle really. Almost as impressionable as my first visit to Scalford I suppose but both have their place.

One of the memorable points must have been a pair of Focal Grand Utopia right down on the bottom floor which is pretty much all I remember from it. Those speakers where just another level of what I thought hi-fi could be. The show was however a lot more just two channel and everything in all fairness was really well presented, a bit like a good Wam Show is ;)

I've heard top of the line Focals at hifi shows as well, and I'll never forget them either.

Some nights I still wake up screaming in the wee small hours.

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, notevenclose said:

I've heard top of the line Focals at hifi shows as well, and I'll never forget them either.

Some nights I still wake up screaming in the wee small hours.

Yes those were something else back then, even now I would imagine. There was some snazzy vinyl front end on them with some amplifiers they had to pallet truck into place :) But to be fair it sounded bloody good.

1 minute ago, eddie-baby said:

Yes those were something else back then, even now I would imagine. There was some snazzy vinyl front end on them with some amplifiers they had to pallet truck into place :) But to be fair it sounded bloody good.

Last time I heard them was with high-end Moon electronics in a system wired entirely with Nordost Valhalla.

Couldn't have cleared the room any quicker if there had been a bomb scare.

In fact, having been at a Van Morrison gig where there actually was a bomb scare, my recollection is that the Focal system evacuated the premises rather more efficiently.

Van made an announcement from the stage, "Got to go, bomb scare..." and f***ed off.

A lot of us were standing around thinking "Got to go, bomb scare? What album's that from?"

• Haha 3

22 hours ago, radiant red said:

It was 87 or 88 I think.. it was all about CD players if I recall because it was one of the first major places you could hear so many in one place. The Naim rooms were busy if I remember too. I got a 10% discount voucher off Denon CD players and cassette decks. That week, I purchased my first CD Player, Denon DCD500 and a DRM500 cassette Deck 👍🏻

Thanks.  I remember my first Bristol Show, almost every room was playing Dire Straits -- Sultans of Swing, but I can't remember which year that was.

• Haha 1

Due to small rooms sound quality often not great at Bristol.  One exception being the BBC style mini monitors. Rogers are releasing an AB3a active sub for the 3/5A and an updated E 20 amp which works very well with this speaker.  Falcon Acoustics will have the limited edition 3/5 . Spendor are releasing the new 4 5 mini monitor. And Harbeth have the updated P3 ESR XD.  So a great opportunity to audition similar speakers in similar conditions with the bonus that they will sound better at home ☺ 

• Like 2

Unfortunately, I can't get there this year. But despite the usual crowds I enjoyed last year's show.

Super Wammer

I’m going Sunday 

11 hours ago, graham67 said:

Due to small rooms sound quality often not great at Bristol.  One exception being the BBC style mini monitors. Rogers are releasing an AB3a active sub for the 3/5A and an updated E 20 amp which works very well with this speaker.  Falcon Acoustics will have the limited edition 3/5 . Spendor are releasing the new 4 5 mini monitor. And Harbeth have the updated P3 ESR XD.  So a great opportunity to audition similar speakers in similar conditions with the bonus that they will sound better at home ☺ 

The E20 and E40 were great amps. On some levels the E40a was the best I have owned. The only reason I sold my E40a was that I couldn’t stand the transformer hum.