bigrod

Bug bears in hifi

Super Wammer

When it comes to my vinyl I have a little bit of OCD..

Alphabetical order where " possible"

Out of sunlight..neatly stacked upright etc..

When I clean a record I always use a new inner sleeve...and this is my bug bear..

Many of the  original sleeves have pics and notes..so to me are integral to the album..

I get really frustrated when it's almost impossible to put on a new sleeve and put it in the cover with the original sleeve...often there is a bit sticking out aaaaaargh..

What are your bug bears..

Kindest regards Julian 

My bug bear is just finding out my speakers send all the bass up to the flat above and vibrates their floor even when I play my system not too loud and also have the bass eq'd down. It looks like I'll have to sell my speakers and get some stand mounts that don't go down so low as my current speakers. The building is rubbish and allows bass through the walls far too easily. Grrrr!

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Mine is technology..in old days..a record..record player!  A cassette tape..cassette tape player..a cd..a cd player! I really like qobuz but I'm reliant on technology.. Be it the router or windows 10 or some other devilry...which is fine when it works! But when it goes wrong..great woe is inflicted upon me...a cd..or a record have never given me such grief..cassette tapes can be annoying...but error codes and corrupted files... Aaaargh!

14 minutes ago, Sir_Franc said:

My bug bear is just finding out my speakers send all the bass up to the flat above and vibrates their floor even when I play my system not too loud and also have the bass eq'd down. It looks like I'll have to sell my speakers and get some stand mounts that don't go down so low as my current speakers. The building is rubbish and allows bass through the walls far too easily. Grrrr!

Headphones might be the way to go? I have a suspicion the neighbours will complain even if you used standmounts? But then again i could be wrong...lol

• Upvote 1

Super Dealer
17 minutes ago, Sir_Franc said:

If the transmission really is structural , ie through the floor ( does your floor vibrate when playing) then you need to isolate your loudspeakers, towers of sorbathane  you may have to experiment with durometer.

Keith

• Like 1

Exactly what I was going to say. I get very little bass leakage from my flat, and no complaints

Brands I want to hear but can't because the nearest dealer is hours away. That really gets up my nose.

Super Dealer
17 minutes ago, kernow said:

Exactly what I was going to say. I get very little bass leakage from my flat, and no complaints

Bass frequencies can penetrate anything, just depends upon the frequency and amplitude, the more solidly built the room the more bass will be reflected, in terms of sound quality a flimsy construction is probably best for you but worse for your neighbours.

Keith

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, PuritéAudio said:

If the transmission really is structural , ie through the floor ( does your floor vibrate when playing) then you need to isolate your loudspeakers, towers of sorbathane  you may have to experiment with durometer.

Keith

Ah sort the floor out to stop the ceiling vibrating? ..  it bugs me when people say the opposite - the guy says  the sound transmits upstairs and some bright spark talks about downward transmission from the floor 

For the gentleman with the UPSTAIRS problem .. in my experience plasterboard and artex ceilings are the worst.   Some modern houses instead of wooden joists do have concrete ceilings (pal of mine had one in Camberley must have cost a fortune) which do a fairly good job of isolating the upstairs.   

If you do not have concrete floors upstairs but it is joists and floor boards with the ceiling suspended from it (plasterboard and plaster or artex) then in my experience no matter how well you isolate the speakers,  the sound will still transmit through the ceiling (depending on how loud you play it)  :(  

• Upvote 1

Super Dealer

There are two forms of transmission structural and airborne , isolating the loudspeakers from the floor would at least ameliorate the structural, if that is significant , hence my question.

If the airborne transmission is causing the ceiling to rattle then you need to secure the loose tiles or whatever is causing the resonance.

Keith

Bits of my power amp not working properly or broken...going back 30 years to my Electronics degree, buying test equipment, resistors and no longer made MOSFETs.

Every day is a school day at the moment.

2 hours ago, PuritéAudio said:

Keith

I have my speakers on Townshend podiums which has helped most of the transmission to the floor, however the floor is made of chipboard and does vibrate a little bit. I can feel the walls vibrate to low frequencies so the same must be happening with the ceiling. My idea of stand mounts is to reduce the actual volume my speakers occupy in the room and to buy some that can't go as low as my current ones.

Audiophiles.....

Wittering on about how this super dooper widget or gadget, or length of wire make huge night and day differences. When in reality they may work to some marginal extent in some systems, and no difference, or degenerate the sound in another. Keep it real please.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

That speaker position, listening position and the room the speakers are in make so much difference. Things would be so much simpler otherwise!